Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

Dude, this is all coming directly from the Comcast earnings call. Its from Comcast. Its happening.
My issue is that @quinnmac000 posted a quotation from the earnings call, without quotation marks, attribution to a particular speaker, or any sort of preface that it is someone else's words.

Additionally, it appears that the quote was copied from a third party source, but without a link or any hint of where the content was taken from, which by understanding would be plagiarism.

Oh, and also, I haven't actually seen an explicit quote that "SNW is going to EU".

But whatever, I'll stop now and my complaining can be deleted.

Additional article on this news:

My issue is that @quinnmac000 posted a quotation from the earnings call, without quotation marks, attribution to a particular speaker, or any sort of preface that it is someone else's words.

Additionally, it appears that the quote was copied from a third party source, but without a link or any hint of where the content was taken from, which by understanding would be plagiarism.

Oh, and also, I haven't actually seen an explicit quote that "SNW is going to EU".

But whatever, I'll stop now and my complaining can be deleted.
I'm with you. I never had any doubt that SNW is coming to EU. But if you're copy/pasting a block of text from somewhere, you should add the link to the source. (And on a similar note, Mike S asked a good question a page back and at first didn't get a direct answer, but thank you everyone for following up on that.)

Below is the full pertinent quote from the Comcast call, and I bolded the parts to look for:

“So regarding parks if you look over the last five years, our EBITDA or OCF and the park business has almost exactly doubled, so about $2.5 billion as the parks are about one-third of NBCUniversal, 30% of NBCUniversal. And when you have that kind of growth you're used to parks being a driver of the overall NBCUniversal growth profile, which they were not this quarter. A big part of it and Mike mentioned this in his introduction was Japan where we faced a number of headwinds and actually went backwards.

If you look out, I think the next big thing on the horizon is Nintendo. Nintendo based on our research is one of the biggest potential drivers of attendance that you could have of any kind of IP. It's up there with Harry Potter, which in some of our parks Harry potter drove incremental attendance of about two million people. So Nintendo is in very rarefied air. And the attraction that we're building in Osaka is spectacular.

From a creative standpoint it's really unbelievable and that opens sometime -- midyear this year and then we're going to bring it to Hollywood and we're going to bring it, obviously, in the fourth gate in Florida. So I think Nintendo is going to be potentially a big accelerator both in the Theme Park business. And then once you get into 2021, we've haven't talked about it maybe as much as we should.

The fact that we're opening a park in Beijing and the fact that the park is so spectacular from a design and creative standpoint, I think is going to generate a lot of growth. And then Brian mentioned in his introduction the fourth gate, which opens in 2023.

So when you look at the capital side of it, these are all high-return projects that all make a ton of business sense. And I think if you look over the next five years it's likely our Theme Park business is going to be a driver of growth. Maybe not quite as much as it has been in the last five years because the growth has been so phenomenal and we're getting to a bigger base now. But I would look at the parks business as a real opportunity for us. We still don't have the share that I think we deserve given the quality of the experience we're giving our guests and it's a lot of opportunity over the next five, 10, 20 years.”

I really love that they seem to really be focusing on the parks more and more as potential future growth. I love hearing it. We've all seen what Universal is capable of when putting their best foot forward. They seem to really see the value of their parks. Exciting stuff, for sure.

Also, while this is all going to clearly be dependent on how SNW is received and does financially, they stated clearly they see the future of Nintendo. I can't imagine thats just Mario, either. Huge IP win here for Universal as discussed many times.

I really love that they seem to really be focusing on the parks more and more as potential future growth. I love hearing it. We've all seen what Universal is capable of when putting their best foot forward. They seem to really see the value of their parks. Exciting stuff, for sure.

Also, while this is all going to clearly be dependent on how SNW is received and does financially, they stated clearly they see the future of Nintendo. I can't imagine thats just Mario, either. Huge IP win here for Universal as discussed many times.
Not just an attendance boost but I would guess Nintendo merch sales will be very strong.

It makes sense to officially say Nintendo is the first thing because like Marvel with IoA, I think it's one of the main GP selling points and per people's guessing, is immediately on the left of the main entrance.
Being left of entrance doesn't mean anything, really. Marvel was in dire straights when Superhero Island was being constructed at IoA. X-Men didn't happen until 2000 and Spider-Man until 2002.

Last edited:
....Now that that’s resolved.

I’d have to think that the reason official news on lands is released the way it is so as not to confuse the GP before necessary. I know we talk about leaving concept art vague to protect IPs, but realistically Disney has to have someone who already knows what’s coming. Either through shared vendors, or hell, someone who’s job it it is to listen to Alicia’s podcasts.