Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

The Monsters at Work show is supposed to start this summer. Nothing else animation related really planned other than shorts from what I see. The thing about the demo for Pixar shows though is that you don't have to have constant new content for kids/family as families likely will be the most loyal subscribers, simply to have as a babysitter with how large the back catalog is.

I heard Monsters at Work got slightly delayed due to the show being overhauled, so I don't see it coming out until much later this year, if not pushed to 2021.

As for original content, I'm just kinda bored for the next few months. The archive however is enough to keep me interested at the moment.

Except Disney has proven that they can work well with auteur directors in the MCU. Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler, James Gunn and Payton Reed being among them.
Yeah, when the auteurs are willing to do as they're told - again, see Edgar Wright and Lord/Miller.
Not to mention, Searchlight Pictures and how Disney is seemingly strengthening their support for it.
Of course, I'm only talking about their franchise systems here. Searchlight is where the auteurs go, and where they SHOULD go, in the Disn
Certain auteur directors....you mean...for all of those there were still Kenneth Baranaugh, Edgar Wright, Joss whedon who all were tired of working with Marvel.

Plus Lord and Miller, which shows it isn't just a Marvel thing.

I binged all episodes of Phil of the Future :) anyone remember that show? I would love to ride the Skyaks in a Phil of the Future ride :D9BECBE0D-D6E6-4F5D-8604-2A3EC54125C6.jpeg9BECBE0D-D6E6-4F5D-8604-2A3EC54125C6.jpeg

28.6 million subscribers with nothing new of note until August.

If people didn't buy into the 1 or 3 year deals, I would expect those subscription numbers to plummet.
I highly doubt they will plummet if it even falls, which I don't think will happen. I think it'll be a bit stagnant for awhile, but where they're at is a good place to be for awhile, especially for how early into it's life it is. Don't underestimate Clone Wars and other shows coming up either that aren't top billing shows, but will still pull the "Disney Crowd".

And as I keep saying, don't underestimate what theatrical release movies will do for keeping people around (or adding things not yet added to the service). Since the beginning of the year alone, Alading, The Lion King and Toy Story 4 have all been added to the service. 3 billion dollar movies from 2019 added within a month of each other for $7/month. Fox properties like Cheaper By The Dozen, Percy Jackson, The Sandlot, etc are also coming to the service this month as well.

I will say, one thing the service could definitely benefit from is a "recently added" section. Even with content nowhere near Netflix levels at this point, it still feels almost like things are just sort of being dropped on a random day and it's your responsibility to find them. A lot of it gets lost in the shuffle if it isn't promoted on the top banner.

Last edited:
They got millions of us for at least a year with 12 months of "free" service through Verizon, so they have 12 months to make their value proposition and show it's worth actually spending money on. I think that their number are artificially inflated because of all the deals they made.

They got millions of us for at least a year with 12 months of "free" service through Verizon, so they have 12 months to make their value proposition and show it's worth actually spending money on. I think that their number are artificially inflated because of all the deals they made.
They came out and were transparent that 20% of their subscribers are from Verizon.

They came out and were transparent that 20% of their subscribers are from Verizon.

Verizon is also paying Disney for that, so it isn't like they aren't paid subscribers.

I think Disney gave away so many sweetheart deals to lock people in (for 1-3 years depending on the deal) to show strong subscribers numbers at the start while they build a runway for consistent content to arrive on the service.

I've been watching all the movies in order of release and average a Disney movie every other night. Currently on Swiss Family Robinson. Only 60 years to go!

Also don't forget these numbers don't include Europe which is waiting until March so those numbers will probably see another big jump as we finally get in on the Disney + action

Also don't forget these numbers don't include Europe which is waiting until March so those numbers will probably see another big jump as we finally get in on the Disney + action
Also, it rolls out in India March 29th. With the population size of India, that could be a HUGE boost.

Also, it rolls out in India March 29th. With the population size of India, that could be a HUGE boost.
I don’t think it’ll be as big as you think it will.

There’s really only one streaming service in India. It’s called Hotstar, it costs roughly $15 a year, and it’s mostly sports.

Of course, Disney owns Hotstar and they’re going to leverage that. But, India hasn’t shown the same hunger for paid content that the US has. Netflix isn’t that big in India, despite their best efforts.

Disney+ in India is part of the ten-year plan.

Honey, I Shrunk The Kids Reboot to star Josh Gad:

I feel like you skipped over the bigger news here that Rick Moranis is coming out of his retirement for this film. Disney must have shown him a really fat check! Also, this will not be on Disney plus but will indeed be a theatrical release.