Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

All good points :thumbsup:

My ownly doubt about Hagrid is that Potter, out of all the IP's in the park (excluding Waterworld), is probably the least popular of them all in China. That's not to say the GP won't love it, I just think it will be a 'wait and see' as to whether to go with Hagrid or something else.

I'll be a bit sad if they don't have a Gyro based ride but I did always have doubts about capacity for a ride like that, at least something Spider-Man style will be a people eater.
I really still think they could design a Gyrosphere type vechile that is just like Spidey/Transformers and fit 12 guests per vehicle. Don't think it'd look all that odd but hey, I aint a ride vehicle designer for a reason. Just have some more brief upward/downward motions for the vechile than Spidey does to showcase it as a Gryospehre more. Idk I could see it still happening.

I really still think they could design a Gyrosphere type vechile that is just like Spidey/Transformers and fit 12 guests per vehicle. Don't think it'd look all that odd but hey, I aint a ride vehicle designer for a reason. Just have some more brief upward/downward motions for the vechile than Spidey does to showcase it as a Gryospehre more. Idk I could see it still happening.
They tinkered for a couple years and gave up. I’d love to know what roadblocks they ran into with the old system that would cause such a sudden change.

They tinkered for a couple years and gave up. I’d love to know what roadblocks they ran into with the old system that would cause such a sudden change.
Interesting, sad it’s not going to be the case though. Hopefully it doesn’t affect the overall ride too much in the long run.

I'll be a bit sad if they don't have a Gyro based ride but I did always have doubts about capacity for a ride like that, at least something Spider-Man style will be a people eater.
I know we're assuming this'll be somewhat of a Spider-Man clone but, would it not be possible to have a gyro looking ride vehicle with that ride system? Obviously a lot larger but still could work.

I saw the other day that they are still on target for next year even with the current panic about the Corona Virus, but that could easily change if this spreads. Wuhan is a fair distance from Beijing, but people do move between the cities fairly easily, or at least they did. Beijing being the capital may be more strictly protected than most.

I saw the other day that they are still on target for next year even with the current panic about the Corona Virus, but that could easily change if this spreads. Wuhan is a fair distance from Beijing, but people do move between the cities fairly easily, or at least they did. Beijing being the capital may be more strictly protected than most.
Lots of cases starting to pop up in the Beijing area now. And some of it's close to the Communist Party Hdq., according to some stories in the Washington Post. Restrictions in the capital are becoming more stringent.

I think they will be fine.
In the latest construction pics they appear to already be ahead of where Shanghi Disney was at this point before opening.

Just to put things in perspective here, The 2019/20 US flu season resulted in 19,100+ deaths, and we are no where near that level with Corona virus. Yes people are concerned and yes some incredible control measures(?!) have been implemented by China but this is not the apocalypse yet, life will carry on.

Just to put things in perspective here, The 2019/20 US flu season resulted in 19,100+ deaths, and we are no where near that level with Corona virus. Yes people are concerned and yes some incredible control measures(?!) have been implemented by China but this is not the apocalypse yet, life will carry on.
Millions died during the flu pandemic after WWI. This is nowhere near that level at this point in time.
It has a completely different mortality rate, incubation time and ease of spread. Comparing it to a different flu pandemic isn’t fair.
The primary issue is containment. The swine flu hit 2 Billion people and is a classic case of poor containment. It just didn’t have a high mortality rate whatsoever or it would have been devastating.

So while, yes, we can say “this caused x deaths”; that isn’t the issue. It’s all about containment so that it doesn’t increase. Hence the flight bans and travel restrictions. It’s a necessary evil that seems over-reactionary but it isn’t.

I’ll be in Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos with my family in May. I’m not worried about Corona itself in any of those countries. But because of the combination of the lax measures taken by Cambodia + the fact they’re in the back pocket of the Chinese Government and cowtow to any demand they have; I’m keeping a very close eye on that country in particular because of (necessary) travel restrictions that could be implemented.

It has a completely different mortality rate, incubation time and ease of spread. Comparing it to a different flu pandemic isn’t fair.
The primary issue is containment. The swine flu hit 2 Billion people and is a classic case of poor containment. It just didn’t have a high mortality rate whatsoever or it would have been devastating.

So while, yes, we can say “this caused x deaths”; that isn’t the issue. It’s all about containment so that it doesn’t increase. Hence the flight bans and travel restrictions. It’s a necessary evil that seems over-reactionary but it isn’t.

I’ll be in Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos with my family in May. I’m not worried about Corona itself in any of those countries. But because of the combination of the lax measures taken by Cambodia + the fact they’re in the back pocket of the Chinese Government and cowtow to any demand they have; I’m keeping a very close eye on that country in particular because of (necessary) travel restrictions that could be implemented.
I would cancel.

I would cancel.
Hah- it’s no biggie. It’s towards the end of a 60 day trip around the world that we leave for on the 5th of April. I’ll just keep my eye on it and adjust as needed. If I need to stay in Hanoi for a few more days instead of going to Cambodia; Halong Bay isn’t a bad consolation prize :cheers: