Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This live cam of "the city that never sleeps" is pretty amazing. I have never seen Times Square so empty.

You know there's a problem when they don't have that half naked cowboy on the street taking/selling photos with tourists......Saw it like that once when we were stranded in the city during an unexpected overnight 2 ft. of snow blizzard. Strangely enough, the only person we saw out was someone riding down the street on a unicycle.

I think after the 19th, Universal stops paying part-timers, only Full-Time. They stopped paying Seasonals for this new closed period. Cutting PT pay would be the majority of their front line workforce.

• Sad
Reactions: JoeCamel
For Annual Passholders:

You annual passes will be extended based on the number of days the parks are closed. So if they're closed 8 weeks, your pass will expire 56 days later than originally planned. That's a pretty proactive response.

This is also mentioned in @Brian G. recap:

Man glad I got out of Miami now almost 3 weeks ago... still showing no symptoms so that’s good! Coughing only cause I’m a daily smoker (still) and they aren’t dry coughs it ya catch my drift lol. I’m feeling lucky but don’t want that luck to run out.

Didn't realize that the Four Seasons was still open up until yesterday:

For Annual Passholders:

You annual passes will be extended based on the number of days the parks are closed. So if they're closed 8 weeks, your pass will expire 56 days later than originally planned. That's a pretty proactive response.

Disney is also doing this when it comes to AP's.

Last edited:
The safety of your guests is clearly not your number 1 priority when you are JUST shutting down. Ugh I hate big corporations who try and act like they have a heart in any of this when they clearly don’t. Don’t even get me started on Jeff Bezos asking people to donate to the Amazon relief fund.... the richest man in the world... god I hate people lol

SeaWorld is asking everyone to write to lawmakers for assistance during the crisis. This is something pertaining to all theme parks, zoos, etc, and is a quick and easy form to submit:

So i'm gonna guess based on this that SeaWorld is seeing how long this could go on and they aren't in a good enough financial situation to make it through.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Update: did get the Dominos delivery job! I am only part time and they are not guaranteeing part timers a full year of work, at least at this participating Domino’s at this current time. No idea if that’s the standard set for across the country or not but I get the feeling this Domino’s is seeing a spike due to the current climate, rather than this is a successful Domino’s. Ah well, at least I’m working 3 nights a week now! I do recommend this for anybody, not sure if they’re going to provide gloves or not but I’d just wear gloves while working and if I have enough pairs, switch them out every 30 minutes to an hour if I can.

So i'm gonna guess based on this that SeaWorld is seeing how long this could go on and they aren't in a good enough financial situation to make it through.
Their stock (along with other theme park stocks) is WAY up the past two days, far and above the rest of the market. Wall Street seems to think there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

lol yeah sure

Or they think they’re ripe for acquisition and are getting in on the ground floor.
The question is who is in a position to buy them? Six Flags and Cedar Fair certainly aren't right now. Maybe Merlin?

For Annual Passholders:

Wouldn't; do much good if it gets extended into a period with blackouts :/

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando is now closed through May 27th. That's about when I expect everything in the area to be closed until.

Wouldn't; do much good if it gets extended into a period with blackouts :/
That's sort of what (partially) may happen for me with the Holiday blockout period in December.

Reactions: Journey_On
"Hey Tom, I found a way to save money for our 3rd gate. And we don't even have to wait to build it"

:'(
I highly doubt Universal buys them. Although it would instantly give them THREE parks to add to their portfolio in Orlando + land to build hotels on.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.