Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Avengers Campus (DCA)

History has not proven this out.

See: Africa pavilion preview during Epcot opening tv special, heavy promotion of Beastley Kingdomme in TV specials and souvenir videos, the preview and huge model of Western River Expedition, Muppet Studios and Maroon Studios announcements for D-MGM...
An if you want a recent example, the Main Street Theater in WDW. Announced right at D23 and swept under the rug not too long afterwards.
Gotta' be unfortunately blunt here, if it's not under construction...it could very well be put under the rug since Disney is no stranger to going gunshy in times like this.
The thing is, when those projects were announced, that was in a day and age before social media existed and the internet really took off. With social media and internet, it may be a bit harder to sweep that Avengers under the rug. People may stumble upon concept art upon a Google search, and wonder if that will open with Avengers campus.

As for the Main Street theater, I don’t think nearly as many people would care about a theater as much as an E-ticket Ride.

Do I think the Avengers ride will be further pushed off? Yes. Cancelled? No.

This is the RotR of the land and the Avengers brand is so strong. I see no reason that this project get cancelled. Smaller projects like Poppins at Epcot? Sure. But I just can’t see them cutting this.

An if you want a recent example, the Main Street Theater in WDW. Announced right at D23 and swept under the rug not too long afterwards.
Gotta' be unfortunately blunt here, if it's not under construction...it could very well be put under the rug since Disney is no stranger to going gunshy in times like this.

This is why I think that Universal is going to come out of this stronger than Disney. Just look at the financial crisis in 2008. Disney barely built anything and Universal go all in on Potter and it's paid off big time.

Disney are taking their foot off the gas and Universal is flooring it.

I’m bad at visualizing DCA, but I don’t think the Avengers expansion pad could thematically fit anything besides an Avengers ride?

This is why I think that Universal is going to come out of this stronger than Disney. Just look at the financial crisis in 2008. Disney barely built anything and Universal go all in on Potter and it's paid off big time.

Disney are taking their foot off the gas and Universal is flooring it.
Tell that to the Fast n Furious ride!

On a serious note, I really think Comcast is making the smart play. If things are recessionary, they'll be able to get pick of the litter for materials and labor and stretch the dollar a bit further. Disney stagnant and UO with a new park can definitely shift center of gravity.

Re: Avengers, I don't see the Avengers ride as a concept going away for that campus. Spider-Man is a big sell but the MCU as a whole is the crown jewel and that's their way to get as much people and content in as possible. Its scope may be reduced, but it's still gonna show up eventually.

Didn’t they say before the parks were part of another “universe”? This seems needlessly complicated.
from what it looks like, they’re just saying that in canon for the mcu films right now (2020), the snap has happened but has not been undone (half the heroes). They’re just ignoring that so we can still have spiderman, the gotg and more roaming around and having rides in our real life modern day, that’s all.

If anytbing I love this and this is one of the issues with Galaxy’s Edge is that it is soooo specific in timeline it limits itself in its expansions/capabilities/meet and greets. Smart move here so you can have any hero you want anytime. Makes sense. With how many MCU movies there are and how often the plot is changing (just look at far from home), if anything it’d be more complicated to make it canon imo

This is such a breath of fresh-air. Potter / Galaxy’s Edge really pushed the idea that every theme park land has to be canon.

I don’t care if the Avengers Campus fits into the MCU perfectly. I don’t care if it’s referenced in other forms of media. I’m okay with a theme park land being a grab-bag of great moments brought to life.

Huh? WWOHP is decidedly not in-canon
Yeah it's really only Disney that has this obsession with canon. I actually remember a 2011 D23 panel on Cars Land with a timeline labeling when in Cars canon each ride took place (Mater and Luigi's were after Cars 2, RSR and the land being Cars 1.5)

WWOHP isn't canon, but there is l large list of do's and dont's. Some examples are you can't say you've been to Hogwarts or even sorted unless you work in FJ. Obviously you've never met any of the character etc. You actually take a separate 8-hour corse before you work in that area called "Protecting The Brand" - there's even an official way to descibe butter beer!

WWOHP isn't canon, but there is l large list of do's and dont's. Some examples are you can't say you've been to Hogwarts or even sorted unless you work in FJ. Obviously you've never met any of the character etc. You actually take a separate 8-hour corse before you work in that area called "Protecting The Brand" - there's even an official way to descibe butter beer!
Yea, but like how often does any guest ever experience that? It's not like SWGE where it's specifically set in between 2 movies

By "non-cannon" is short hand for "not set in one point in time as dictated by other media". "Hogwarts is open to muggles for a day" is not cannon in the potter lore.
I would argue the Millennium Falcon being flown by a bunch of "locals" on this junker planet of Batuu also isn't cannon with the time period it's set between. Disney's nonsense they're trying to pull just doesn't make sense when you think of how it would fit in in the timeline between 8 and 9.

Yea, but like how often does any guest ever experience that? It's not like SWGE where it's specifically set in between 2 movies
If done right, the guest should NEVER notice it. At best you can fudge an answer (for example, when someone would ask me how many trains there were the response is "There's only one Hogwarts Express" :)

I would argue the Millennium Falcon being flown by a bunch of "locals" on this junker planet of Batuu also isn't cannon with the time period it's set between. Disney's nonsense they're trying to pull just doesn't make sense when you think of how it would fit in in the timeline between 8 and 9.

Yet it's why they say Baby Yoda merch can't be sold in the land and it's a frequent excuse for why there can't be shows. So...