Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024) | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Adding to this...DL’s my favorite park I’ve visited. Big reason I moved to LA after a brief stint in Orlando. Even if WDW has some special attractions (Pandora, ToT, Everest), none of their parks feel as magical as DL.

Speaking of which, hoping Splash Mountain returns with the reopening of DL. I’d like to try to get one last ride in before it changes over - preferably after I’ve been vaccinated:grin:
Sounds like a good idea. Who knows what kind of animal borne diseases those Splash Mountain critters will have after being non-ambulatory for half a year.

Reactions: JawsVictim
Tough. I'm sorry, but of all the arguments against what's happening, this is the weakest - not that any hold any water, pardon the pun.

I wasn't making an argument against anything. I was explaining why I was concerned about a New Orleans-set attraction -- which promises to take place, at least partially, in the city -- dropped into an area that has old west theming on either side of it.

I acknowledged Splash wasn't a perfect fit, but that's not a justification for the theme of the land to be tossed out. I wasn't saying, "Don't built it because of this." I was saying, "I hope they at least try to pay lip-service to the land in which this is being placed." And my record of caring about thematic integrity of lands goes back long before this announcement, and my post history on these forums will back that up.

I wasn't making an argument against anything. I was explaining why I was concerned about a New Orleans-set attraction -- which promises to take place, at least partially, in the city -- dropped into an area that has old west theming on either side of it.

I acknowledged Splash wasn't a perfect fit, but that's not a justification for the theme of the land to be tossed out. I wasn't saying, "Don't built it because of this." I was saying, "I hope they at least try to pay lip-service to the land in which this is being placed." And my record of caring about thematic integrity of lands goes back long before this announcement, and my post history on these forums will back that up.
Understand that my post had nothing to do with the fact that you were the one bringing it up - no disrespect, but to me you're a name on a forum, no more and no less, thus your post history is irrelevant. The argument "PatF doesn't fit the THEEEEEME of Frontierland" is the weakest argument against the change. I said that, and I stand behind it.

Reactions: Nico
Say it with us now, Splash Mountain is getting replaced by Princess and the Frog.

They‘re not looking at other options on where to put that IP. It’s a done deal.

I mean...given that even the most trusted Disney insiders didn’t know this overlay was happening, it seems pretty bold to state this definitively. No one is saying, let’s give her a restaurant and no ride instead. They’re arm chair imagineering surrounding placemaking. That’s kind of what we do here.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
I mean...given that even the most trusted Disney insiders didn’t know this overlay was happening, it seems pretty bold to state this definitively. No one is saying, let’s give her a restaurant and no ride instead. They’re arm chair imagineering surrounding placemaking. That’s kind of what we do here.
I don't want to be that guy, but the "Disney Insiders" don't really know what they're talking about.

You were speculating on better locations for a PatF attraction at MK. I’m saying it’s a done deal - it’s going in Splash Mountain.
Lol. No I wasn’t. I mean, I definitely would have preferred a mini land and a ride built specifically for it since I have little faith in Disney’s retheming ability, but that ship has obviously sailed.

I said “If WDW wanted an even bigger Tiana presence...” meaning in addition to Splash.

I was stating that DLs splash (now PatF) area lends it to have an extended New Orleans area.
Whereas I was stating that WDWs splash (now PatF) area does not lend itself to have an extended New Orleans area. So if they wanted more Tiana presence it would only really fit thematically in Liberty Square.

I think the bayou and exterior of “PatF Splash” fits in Frontierland just fine.

If I wasn’t clear on all that originally, my apologies.:toast:

I really hope they keep the name “Splash Mountain” once this changes. If they insist on altering the title, just add a subtitle after SM. It’s been known forever as Splash Mountain, and I would hate for the name to be changed to divert away from the different “mountains” at DL

EDIT TO ADD POINT: I hope Disney realizes that just because the ride is completely reskinned, doesn’t mean they HAVE to change the name completely. “Splash Mountain: Tiana’s River Celebration” or Splash Mountain: The Princess and the Log” would make fine subtitles. I think it was a huge missed opportunity to not name GotG: MB to, “Guardians of the Galaxy: Tower of Terra”. They can change the theme of the ride here, but not rob the ride if it’s “classic” roots. I feel it would be a fair compromise for both ends.

Last edited:
Lol. No I wasn’t. I mean, I definitely would have preferred a mini land and a ride built specifically for it since I have little faith in Disney’s retheming ability, but that ship has obviously sailed.

I said “If WDW wanted an even bigger Tiana presence...” meaning in addition to Splash.

I was stating that DLs splash (now PatF) area lends it to have an extended New Orleans area.
Whereas I was stating that WDWs splash (now PatF) area does not lend itself to have an extended New Orleans area. So if they wanted more Tiana presence it would only really fit thematically in Liberty Square.

I think the bayou and exterior of “PatF Splash” fits in Frontierland just fine.

If I wasn’t clear on all that originally, my apologies.:toast:

I understand now. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Tiana does make appearances in Fantasyland’s Princess Fairytale Hall. I could see her getting her own meet and greet near Splash now.

I really hope they keep the name “Splash Mountain” once this changes. If they insist on altering the title, just add a subtitle after SM. It’s been known forever as Splash Mountain, and I would hate for the name to be changed to divert away from the different “mountains” at DL

EDIT TO ADD POINT: I hope Disney realizes that just because the ride is completely reskinned, doesn’t mean they HAVE to change the name completely. “Splash Mountain: Tiana’s River Celebration” or Splash Mountain: The Princess and the Log” would make fine subtitles. I think it was a huge missed opportunity to not name GotG: MB to, “Guardians of the Galaxy: Tower of Terra”. They can change the theme of the ride here, but not rob the ride if it’s “classic” roots. I feel it would be a fair compromise for both ends.
But getting rid of the roots is the whole idea here. That's a feature, not a bug.

Tiana does make appearances in Fantasyland’s Princess Fairytale Hall. I could see her getting her own meet and greet near Splash now.
I have no clue if this is possible space wise. Others have brought it up, but I hope it gets its own mini-land.

A Tiana's Place restaurant. Others have mentioned having Tiana singing Jazz. Prince Naveen playing the Ukulele. An AA Louis playing the trumpet. Tiana and Naveen meet and great.

Others have also mentioned a quick service Beignets place. Including some other New Orleans inspired foods.

If his inclusion wasn't controversial, I would love a Dr. Facilier permanent meet and great in the style of Ollivanders. Maybe he was revived by Mama Odie or something, on the condition that he uses his connection to the "other side" to help and entertain others. He becomes more of a generic physic and 1920's parlor magician. Friendly to kids(like Gaston), doing magic tricks, and still retaining somewhat of a creepy vibe. Exit to a gift shop similar to Borgin and Burkes. No references to Voodoo or anything that could be deemed controversial. Instead have a store giving love to all of Disney's greatest villains.

I know armchair imagineering can be annoying, but it can be a lot of fun haha. If any of my ideas about Dr. Facilier could be considered controversial please let me know :)

I’m all in for a New Orleans themed restaurant or quick serve. I’d get rid of Pecos Bill in a heartbeat

I’d really love if this ride had a Tiana’s Place restaurant in the style of Blue Bayou at Pirates. Given the rumored timeline and budget, I can’t see that happening.

Reactions: redy2468
No way will "Splash" be a part of the new title. I'm sure Disney would love to rid themselves of all the "Flash Mountain" jokes they've gotten over the years.

Reactions: RevFreako
Honestly, in hindsight it's kind of crazy that Splash lasted as long as it did. A ride based off of a movie that Disney has actively tried to bury for over 30 years now is not a great look. It's a testament to how well-made the attraction is that we have people defending it in the first place, defending it as if it was a classic attraction that Walt would've scribbled down in his plans for Frontierland 1.0. It's easy to forget that this was a ride built in the 90s, about 40 years after Song of the South released and quite a bit into the backlash period. It was always kinda fighting back it's source material with the name change from Zip-A-Dee River Run into a reference to forgettable Tom Hanks vehicle Splash and the ride design purposefully leaving out any trace of the Live action elements from the movie. Disney's silent erasure campaign against Song of the South making sure that the vast majority of guests would never even know about the movie, with the helpful plus that most of the ride is generally Disney-y enough for people not to think too much about the theming helped immensely. But I think it was always a balancing act, and one I can't imagine Disney wanted to do forever.

That's why I honestly don't think this decision has much at all to do about the social movement. I can imagine Disney saw the writing on the wall for Splash a long time ago, and I think some parts were probably actively hoping for the change. The ride system itself is so popular, and especially in the summer, so essential that they must've realized what a missed opportunity it all was. You can't sell excessive amounts of plushies or mugs of characters people know nothing about, but you can't just tell them to watch the movie because you definitely don't want them doing that either. Brer Rabbit or Brer Bear were on the tier of Figment or Orange Bird, but I don't think that popularity quite matches that of true IP characters.

I absolutely believe them when they say they've been working on this for over a year, if only by technicality. There are probably a thousand ideas sketched up in their offices that we'll never hear about and will never see the light of day. I'm sure some Imagineer at some point has thought about the dilemma of basing your most popular ride off of your most infamous movie and come up with a couple of ideas for replacements if things get nasty. It just so happened though that Splash was still just as popular as it had ever been, and they had enough big projects at the time to push off the Splash re-theme for a rainy day. Then this whole thing happens and shines a harsh spotlight on Splash's flaws and Disney decides to finally rip off the band-aid and take the technically-a-year-in-production Frog retheme off the backburner. I can't agree with people who view this situation as simply a righteous movement finally getting through to big evil corporate Disney or an angry mob taking away their favorite toy, I think it was just people giving Disney enough motivation to do the thing they've actually wanted to do for ages.

Hoping this take doesn't come across as too 'galaxy-brain'-y or whatever, not my intention. I just don't trust Disney to fully mean what they say when it comes to the whole social justice thing. Follow the revenue and see where it comes from. It's hard for me to think that some part of Disney didn't resent the fact they couldn't make more money off Splash while they could. Song of the South was universally a bad look. Frog is a much safer bet for them, even with the Voodoo or Witch Doctor stuff.

Last edited: