Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how sharp that top hat is I understand why they put trim on it. Throw in the fact that the trains are being launched into it, and I’m completely okay with it.

I don’t like trims that ruin the pacing of a coaster. This isn’t one of those trims.

Rip Ride Rocket: Trim city. Kills the pacing.
The Beast: Trims in a couple places needlessly. Kills pacing in a couple places but might save lives (slight exaggeration).

Trims should only be there for an emergency and not be necessary, particularly on a new coaster. Says the person who is not an engineer and just enjoys being a fast moving object.

Slightly off topic. . . I feel parks are building these coasters too tall for no reason. It's all aesthetics to me. Take, for instance, Lighting run at Kentucky kingdom. That coaster is barely 100ft tall but still manages to have an 80 degree drop AND a crap load of OMFG ejector air and not ONE trim. Personally, if a coaster has to be trimmed, just make don't make it as tall.

If there is a trim at the top it is for making sure the train is at a specific speed for the rest of the track. The elements and forces are engineered for a specific speed. Launches have a lot of variables that effect speed. The trim helps correct those variances at the top so there is a consistent speed through the rest of the track ride after ride. This prevents undue stresses on the trains and tracks.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic. . . I feel parks are building these coasters too tall for no reason. It's all aesthetics to me. Take, for instance, Lighting run at Kentucky kingdom. That coaster is barely 100ft tall but still manages to have an 80 degree drop AND a crap load of OMFG ejector air and not ONE trim. Personally, if a coaster has to be trimmed, just make don't make it as tall.

It’s more about speed than height. Maverick isn’t tall but they trim you literally a second after that launch tunnel.

Ok for instance, you won’t find a Giga outside of the ones built in the year 2000 that don’t have a trim, because if you ran one trimless and actually designed it to it’s speed you’d need way more money or track to get you there. Parks like the idea of being able to market a height or speed stat even if they don’t have the space or money to get them there under normal circumstances. And that’s where a trim comes into play.

The Beast: Trims in a couple places needlessly. Kills pacing in a couple places but might save lives (slight exaggeration).
Yes, I have ridden The Beast many times and the trims are unfortunate. That is one of my favorite coasters. But one day, for whatever reason, they did not trim and it was the most exciting ride ever. So they must trim in an over abundance of caution and not necessity.

Take, for instance, Lighting run at Kentucky kingdom. That coaster is barely 100ft tall but still manages to have an 80 degree drop AND a crap load of OMFG ejector air and not ONE trim.
Kentucky Kingdom is my home park. And for a small coaster, Lightning Run can't be beat. It is true, NO trims. Nothing but full speed from start to finish, and it is very exhilarating!!

Just to wade in with the “Trim” discussion...

it’s not a trim in the traditional sense. It’s actually an element that Intamin recently started offering called an “Anticipation Stall”, which means you hang over the top of the Tophat for longer than usual. Obviously it does slow you down for this purpose but this is not a trim for the sake of slowing the second half. If that were the case the trim would be located at the bottom of the drop rather than at the top of the tophat as that would be much easier to install and maintain.

In short. It’s there to provide a unique extra sensation rather than neutering the layout!

Status
Not open for further replies.