Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing that the tweet above was about Wonder Woman’s delay. Since that’s happening, there’s no way that Dune gets released this year now. Warner Bros will not release two tent poles within a week of each other.

This should be interesting to see if other colleges follow Ohio State's lead. Ohio State is cancelling the 2021 Spring Break so the students don't cause covid super spreads returning from resort vacations. If a large number of schools
adopt this concept, it could have a major effect on Spring Break beach resort destinations in 2021.

This should be interesting to see if other colleges follow Ohio State's lead. Ohio State is cancelling the 2021 Spring Break so the students don't cause covid super spreads returning from resort vacations. If a large number of schools
adopt this concept, it could have a major effect on Spring Break beach resort destinations in 2021.
I have to believe it’s in their plans since many schools are going full remote after thanksgiving break since the majority of students go home for the holiday and they similarly don’t want them brining COVID back to campus, especially since the end of the semester is only about a month past that point.

I have to believe it’s in their plans since many schools are going full remote after thanksgiving break since the majority of students go home for the holiday and they similarly don’t want them brining COVID back to campus, especially since the end of the semester is only about a month past that point.
If I was a school Pres., I'd do it for sure. The college kids have continually proved that large segments of their demographic don't take covid seriously....starting with Spring Break 2019, Memorial Day Week 2019, Fourth of July week 2019, rest of summer vacation, and the beginning of the Fall 2019 semester.

While I hate it for the students involved, because I know spring break was a blast for me, its not a bad thing for my personal rental property. Spring breakers are the worst as far as wear and tear go.

While I hate it for the students involved, because I know spring break was a blast for me, its not a bad thing for my personal rental property. Spring breakers are the worst as far as wear and tear go.
Yes, I'd take a wild guess and say they leave places in a shambles at worst, and messed up at best.....I was too poor at college to afford spring break, plus there wasn't any break for us back then anyway. Semesters were 18 weeks long with only a decent break for Christmas holidays. That was it, as breaks went for most colleges back then. We were in school much longer than they do now...................UPDATE: Here's something to watch. The US Federal District Court in Pittsburgh, in a 66 page opinion, just ruled the Pa. lockdown by Gov. Wolf & Health Secretary Levine that limited the size of gatherings, a stay at home order, and the closure of non life sustaining businesses were unconstitutional. It will be interesting to see if other groups in various states file against the lock down, gathering limits, and business closures that are in effect.

Last edited:
I selfishly want spring break not to happen so there is less traffic and people in CA next spring...but yeah it sucks for the students

We always enjoyed spring break, A LOT, with trips to Panama City and other east coast beaches. But yes spring breakers are always needy and messy, plus with the different regions of the east coast going on spring break a different times they pretty much eat up the whole month of April.

I think we'll still see a big influx of spring breakers, as they have proven college kids will party one way or another. You might cancel the week off of classes, but they'll still take weekend trips.

Brian Roberts, Comcast CEO on film

So 2020 isn't really launching a lot of new movies. Next year, we're going to have a down year even as we may have a strong slate, because we don't have the residual sales from the movies from 2020. So I think it's probably going to take until 2022 to be back to normalization. I think that's true for all the studios, but I'll let them speak to that.

Brian Roberts on theme parks

Brett Feldman

Great. Well thank you for that update. I want to talk a bit about theme parks. As you noted, you've kind of closed -- you had to close some of your parks. Both Orlando and Universal Studios Japan did reopen late in the second quarter. You're still shut down in Hollywood. Can you give us an update on what attendance has been like as you've gone through the reopening process? And then ultimately, what's it going to take to get this business back to normal? Do you think we actually have to have a vaccine?

Brian Roberts

Well I don't know. I think very possible that for many people they're going to wait until we have a vaccine and that's okay. I mean, that's a personal choice. For other people, the answer is they want to be at the theme parks sooner than that and they're comfortable. I think we've given them a reason to be comfortable as we put in, we think the best possible protocols and safety that the experts locally have advised. The consumer results and satisfaction scores, they feel very overwhelmingly comfortable the customers that have come to both Orlando and Osaka. It's about 25% of our usual attendance. Some days are more some days are less.

We hope to open Hollywood in a foreseeable future. But that's not the business that we've been enjoying. When we bought NBCUniversal, I think Universal was around $500 million, $600 million of EBITDA, and we were around $2.5 billion when COVID hit. And we lost all that, so -- or much of that. And therefore, we have a long way back and it may take a vaccine until that happens.

In fact, as I think about the entire company, probably 70% of the COVID effect is this one conversation and there's just not only so much we can do about that. But for the 10 years that we did own NBCUniversal, the fastest-growing part of our company was Universal Theme Parks.

So, you have to ask, do you think it's coming back some day into these great assets, and companies that aren't as well capitalized, that aren't part of a bigger enterprise, maybe won't be able to come back with this brand and the hotels and the customer experience that Universal Parks will. So, I'm really bullish on the business. And we just -- it's really the main part of COVID that we have not been able to completely get fixed yet, but I'm optimistic for the long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.