Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 221 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, Rudolph and Frosty would be decent meet-and-greets during Christmas season, surprised they haven’t rolled those out yet
SeaWorld Parks currently have the theme park rights to the characters for the holidays in the US, and they utilize Rudolph and friends in their Busch Gardens and SeaWorld Parks around the country. Comcast has been nice enough to let them continue to license them since acquiring Dreamworks.

SeaWorld Parks currently have the theme park rights to the characters for the holidays in the US, and they utilize Rudolph and friends in their Busch Gardens and SeaWorld Parks around the country. Comcast has been nice enough to let them continue to license them since acquiring Dreamworks.
Eventually SeaWorld will lose enough for Comcast to buy all of it. Only a matter of time.

As well as the Herschend parks (Silver Dollar City & Dollywood) and Kennywood, though I don't think they do meet and greets at the latter.

As well as the Herschend parks (Silver Dollar City & Dollywood) and Kennywood, though I don't think they do meet and greets at the latter.
At Kennywood I've seen them on a couple of the Fall Fantasy Parade floats (in August), but that's it. No M&G, and not even used during the Christmas Season celebration.

The Rudolph license is held by a separate company. So while Universal holds the rights to a few classic films, they do not hold the full rights for character usage.

however, frosty is 100% owned by Universal.

Dreamworks Classic IPs are a little questionable due to shared ownership across multiple entities so while Comcast owns the character, they may not have retained full auxiliary rights.

The Rudolph license is held by a separate company. So while Universal holds the rights to a few classic films, they do not hold the full rights for character usage.

however, frosty is 100% owned by Universal.

Dreamworks Classic IPs are a little questionable due to shared ownership across multiple entities so while Comcast owns the character, they may not have retained full auxiliary rights.
I think this means we should get a Frosty the Snowland
Olaf vs Frosty cage match

The story/song will be, but the Rankin-Bass claymation film that is the thing Dreamworks owns the rights to won't be public domain. That's really the basis for any theme park development is the well known characters and imagery.
Not to mention all the original characters introduced into the Rankin/Bass version, like Bumble, Hermey, and Yukon Cornelius.

Build a mountain between Seuss Landing and Lost Continent which is Mount Crumpit on one side with the Grinch, and The Bumble's Lair on the other side as part of a Rudolph area.

KTPBK_3_8_56_N13R2.jpg

Last edited:
Also as a another tiny correction which I missed earlier

Universal is minority owner in Amblin Partners which owns Dreamworks Pictures...so on a technicality they do own Dreamworks Pictures just not in full. But it faces the same issues as Dreamworks Classic with shared ownership of certain IPs.

I would rather they just keep Lost Continent as it is and put something in between Marvel and Toon Lagoon. Why replace one of the most unique lands at the resort with a land that only has seasonal appeal, doesn't really gel with the rest of the lands, and has somewhat dubious cross-generational appeal. I do think Rankin-Bass might warrant representation in the parks, but in a smaller capacity, perhaps with holiday events or mazes.

Lost Continent really just needs its own unique ride and all these ideas for its replacement can go to EU.

Also as a another tiny correction which I missed earlier

Universal is minority owner in Amblin Partners which owns Dreamworks Pictures...so on a technicality they do own Dreamworks Pictures just not in full. But it faces the same issues as Dreamworks Classic with shared ownership of certain IPs.
I thought Comcast bought those outright? I realize some parks license the characters, but I figured Comcast completely owned them now

I thought Comcast bought those outright? I realize some parks license the characters, but I figured Comcast completely owned them now

Alright a little background.

Dreamworks Pictures and Dreamworks Animation were originally under one company Dreamworks SKG. Dreamworks SKG decided to spin off and make Dreamworks Animation independent. This is when they started doing the deal with Paramount for distribution followed by 20th Century Fox. Dreamworks Animation was about to go under so Jeffrey Katzenberg put up feelers and Comcast bought it. As for Dreamworks Pictures, Disney was distributing their films and the deal wasn't making Disney as much money as they would like and Disney already had a crowded film schedule...Spielberg decided to get multiple investors (Himself, Ali Baba [Chinese], Universal [United States], Reliance [India], and eOne [UK]) to create Amblin Partners which is three studios, Dreamworks Pictures for mainstream popular release films, Participant for social reform films, and Amblin Entertainment for everything else with Universal being the main distributor.

So with this, Universal being a partial owner of Amblin, you would think they would own the rights. Nope. For example, Gremlins. Gremlins is an Amblin property, however, Warner holds the Trademark.

The easiest Dreamworks Classic example is She-Ra. While Universal has rights to She-Ra, Mattel is the ultimate property holder and decision maker in regards to that IP.

Dreamworks Pictures and Dreamworks Animation were originally under one company Dreamworks SKG. Dreamworks SKG decided to spin off and make Dreamworks Animation independent. This is when they started doing the deal with Paramount for distribution followed by 20th Century Fox. Dreamworks Animation was about to go under so Jeffrey Katzenberg put up feelers and Comcast bought it. As for Dreamworks Pictures, Disney was distributing their films and the deal wasn't making Disney as much money as they would like and Disney already had a crowded film schedule...Spielberg decided to get multiple investors (Himself, Ali Baba [Chinese], Universal [United States], Reliance [India], and eOne [UK]) to create Amblin Partners which is three studios, Dreamworks Pictures for mainstream popular release films, Participant for social reform films, and Amblin Entertainment for everything else with Universal being the main distributor.

So with this, Universal being a partial owner of Amblin, you would think they would own the rights. Nope. For example, Gremlins. Gremlins is an Amblin property, however, Warner holds the Trademark.

The easiest Dreamworks Classic example is She-Ra. While Universal has rights to She-Ra, Mattel is the ultimate property holder and decision maker in regards to that IP.
And that little Jonny is why you want to study hard so you can practice entertainment law. Never ending work available...

I figured it was spread out, but not that much, crazy

Also, Frosty would literally dismember Olaf, he's got a side you don't want to see man.

Status
Not open for further replies.