Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WDW 50th Celebration

The company is in triage mode. It doesn’t have to make sense to guests that all the new stuff for the resort’s 50th is at EPCOT. EPCOT has the least park reservations of all the parks, I think it’s pretty clear why they’d be focusing on it first. If Magic Kingdom is already hitting adjusted max capacity and EPCOT isn’t, it’s not that crazy to not want to open a new ride there until they actually have a reason to attract more people to it (when they can fit more).

Nothing really makes sense in these topsy-turvy times. At least they’re not stopping all construction at the resort altogether.
Yes, it's a sucky situation as Covid has slowed projects down, Epcot is in dire need of an attractor, People will come to MK anyway, and Epcot is in a terrible state lol

The company is in triage mode. It doesn’t have to make sense to guests that all the new stuff for the resort’s 50th is at EPCOT. EPCOT has the least park reservations of all the parks, I think it’s pretty clear why they’d be focusing on it first. If Magic Kingdom is already hitting adjusted max capacity and EPCOT isn’t, it’s not that crazy to not want to open a new ride there until they actually have a reason to attract more people to it (when they can fit more).

Nothing really makes sense in these topsy-turvy times. At least they’re not stopping all construction at the resort altogether.
This is also a big reason why park hopping was pushed through: to save Epcot’s a** by letting it be the Disney Springs Dining Annex that it has been. This, and a potential push for EF this summer, along with it getting construction priority are all a part of an effort to effectively prioritize.

Of all things, the park I’m most worried about is DAK.

This is also a big reason why park hopping was pushed through: to save Epcot’s a** by letting it be the Disney Springs Dining Annex that it has been. This, and a potential push for EF this summer, along with it getting construction priority are all a part of an effort to effectively prioritize.

Of all things, the park I’m most worried about is DAK.
I agree about DAK. It has nothing on the horizon being built, nothing even really all that heavily rumored, and tbh I don’t see them green lighting any projects any time soon (and even if they did, it’d be 3 years minimum in all likelihood before a new major ride opened).

I agree about DAK. It has nothing on the horizon being built, nothing even really all that heavily rumored, and tbh I don’t see them green lighting any projects any time soon (and even if they did, it’d be 3 years minimum in all likelihood before a new major ride opened).
That's true it has been very silent in AK recently

Perhaps they think Avatar is enough for many years

Big 50th Anniversary of Disneyland vibes. "Happy birthday Disneyland, here's a bunch of new attractions to WDW!"

And the parks' main man being told to get out.

And the parks' main man being told to get out.
I actually think that could lead to more rides being built at DAK, as I think he was being extremely picky with projects. However, if things get pushed through, we will definitely lose thematic integrity, which is what Joe was protecting. It's a delicate balance as DAK really does need more rides, but imo, it's true the most beautiful park in Orlando and I'd hate to see that ruined, too.

I actually think that could lead to more rides being built at DAK, as I think he was being extremely picky with projects. However, if things get pushed through, we will definitely lose thematic integrity, which is what Joe was protecting. It's a delicate balance as DAK really does need more rides, but imo, it's true the most beautiful park in Orlando and I'd hate to see that ruined, too.

Considering Joe oversaw and Dinorama, Rivers of Light, and Pandora I don't think he's "extremely picky with projects", the park has lost "thematic integrity" already (ET and Jaws fits just as much into DAK as freaking Avatar if the bar is "animals amirite" is the critera), and cracked concrete and an abandoned 10,000 person seating space hardly contributes to the most beautiful park in Orlando.

Considering Joe oversaw and Dinorama, Rivers of Light, and Pandora I don't think he's "extremely picky with projects", the park has lost "thematic integrity" already (ET and Jaws fits just as much into DAK as freaking Avatar if the bar is "animals amirite" is the critera), and cracked concrete and an abandoned 10,000 person seating space hardly contributes to the most beautiful park in Orlando.
Joe had absolutely no say in Pandora first of all, that was thrown on him by Bob Iger (and personally, I think it fits the park just fine as it's about conservation and originally there was supposed to be a land for fantastical creatures). Rivers of Light was 100% original, which I appreciate, but unfortunately the show just wasn't all that engaging - partially due to the fact that there was no pyro, unlike other WDW shows. I kinda think his only real MAJOR misstep is Dinorama.

Pandora fits the park perfectly fine. To imply there's no distinction between it and E.T. and Jaws is kind of ridiculous; the entire thematic thrust of AVATAR is about respect for the natural world (in the movie's case, an alien natural world, but Cameron wasn't subtle about the real world parallels he wanted to draw).

JAWS, meanwhile, ends up becoming about a quest to violently destroy an animal.

Dropping this in here because Disney says it will be in effect for the 50th...

This will be awful for non-resort guests, as it will now be impossible to rope drop and get on any headliner attraction without a wait.

I'm not pleased.

Dropping this in here because Disney says it will be in effect for the 50th...

This will be awful for non-resort guests, as it will now be impossible to rope drop and get on any headliner attraction without a wait.

I'm not pleased.
Replace your day ticket with an After Hours party and you might be happier tbh

Nice spin “giving resort guests more time in the parks!”....except it’s less than what we got before.

I mean...what’s the benefit of staying on property now? My family rarely, if ever, rope drop a park. We prefer to close down the parks. So if I’m not getting extra hours at night and can close down the parks as a non resort guest...why pay hundreds more to stay on property? I can be off property, Dave hundreds, have the same type of accommodations, and still experience the parks the way I like too.

These changes make no sense. Disney should be doing everything it can to make people want to stay at their resorts and these changes make staying at Disney not worth it.

I mean...what’s the benefit of staying on property now?

In a weird way, this isn't a benefit of staying on-property, but it is an extreme disincentive to stay off-property.

If you're going to stay at a non-Disney hotel or condo or townhouse, you won't be able to beat morning crowds to any of the popular attractions. Flight of Passage, Runaway Railway, Slinky Dog, Smuggler's Run, Seven Dwarfs, Test Track, Soarin', etc. will all already have lengthy lines before you're even allowed in.

Theoretically.

They'll most likely add more of those upcharge early morning and late night events and probably offer them at a discount to resort guests. They just keep looking for more ways to squeeze cash out of their guests.

In a weird way, this isn't a benefit of staying on-property, but it is an extreme disincentive to stay off-property.

If you're going to stay at a non-Disney hotel or condo or townhouse, you won't be able to beat morning crowds to any of the popular attractions. Flight of Passage, Runaway Railway, Slinky Dog, Smuggler's Run, Seven Dwarfs, Test Track, Soarin', etc. will all already have lengthy lines before you're even allowed in.

Theoretically.

Right, but if I don’t do park openings anyways...