Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 196 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stare Staring GIF
This is my official petition to bring back the "beating a dead horse" smiley.

Come on, guys, HHN is really popular and popular things don’t NEED to advertise. Does Coke advertise? Does McDonalds advertise? Does Disney World advertise?

Executives have DATA that shows advertising is dumb.
Again, the extremes help no one and just stir the pot. Literally not a single person in this thread is saying HHN doesn't need marketing. You're arguing with the wall here. And again, why the fuss over this year when they literally are doing a "mysterious" social media campaign? It's quite literally happening as we speak. What's the issue?

Last edited:
Wasn't the full bar behind Chez Alcatraz an attempt to do this? Never saw many people there when I went last year...

The entire season it was the go to spot for our group. I don't even know the name of the place, the sign was just a glyph of some sort. There was never a line that was long, even on peak days. I seriously hope something like this is hidden away again this year.

The entire season it was the go to spot for our group. I don't even know the name of the place, the sign was just a glyph of some sort. There was never a line that was long, even on peak days. I seriously hope something like this is hidden away again this year.
Same. I think it started slow but once word got out, it became popular.

shhhhh_keep_it_down_walking_dead.gif
That spot behind chez alcatraz didn't exist. What are you all talking about? No one should go back there. It's far too haunted even for a horror event. There's definitely no hidden bar back there that's for sure.

Last edited:
View attachment 18925
That spot behind chez alcatraz didn't exist. What are you all talking about? No one should go back there. It's far too haunted even for horror event. There's definitely no hidden bar back that's for sure.
Can confirm. That place never existed, and it definitely wasn't near a under-looked Stay & Scream location.

You think they need well themed bars/lounges but you aren’t in the conference room with budgets, sales numbers, attendance, survey feedback etc. They’ve been doing this a lot longer than your time as armchair quarterback. I’m sure they have a good idea of what works and does not. I would rather they spend their money on a better house/scare zone, payroll, merchandise food than a bar that I’m not going to go to because I’m trying to make it to 10 Houses before the events end.
I will say this though. The “innovations” you’re talking about may entice repeat visitors unlike myself to visit more but again, is that worth the effort for them?
I'm not claiming to be an expert in business strategy, I don't have insight into the data they collect, I'm just trying to comment on what I believe HHN should try to do to improve the guest experience.

You mentioned you personally would rather spend the time doing 10 houses than a bar... I agree... but don't you want other people to be at that bar versus in line so you can hit all 10 houses in one night? HHN has hit a limit with their operational capacity at 10 houses with the horrendous staffing program they ran last year for the houses, it's time to test different concepts beyond houses to increase capacity. I want them to try to do other things throughout the event before they do the easy business plan of jacking up prices.

Wasn't the full bar behind Chez Alcatraz an attempt to do this? Never saw many people there when I went last year...
It was poorly designed. No large/clear signage stating a bar was there, just a small menu with very little lighting and no decorations. I can guarantee that if it had nice theming, enough seating and some entertainment ala Howl-O-Scream, it would be a bigger draw.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
Come on, guys, HHN is really popular and popular things don’t NEED to advertise. Does Coke advertise? Does McDonalds advertise? Does Disney World advertise?

Executives have DATA that shows advertising is dumb.
So, the problem with this narrative and all the other posts complaining about marketing (or lack thereof) is that what you’re comparing to are year-round products. HHN today exists in a more competitive landscape than in the 2000’s, AND it needs more attendance than back then to break even. Combine that with the fact that we’re in an experience-based economy at the moment and boom…you’ve got a much more cutthroat market to play in. You announce something in May, yeah it’ll get people excited but you’re now “bottom of mind” throughout the summer as other Halloween events, football games, fall weekend trips, etc. start popping up and competing for that very limited, but competitive seasonal window. Someone at Universal found the timing sweet spot of “early enough to drive bookings right at announcement” and “not too early that it falls to the wayside.”

Someone in the HHN Discord about a week ago said they had a good feeling about 5/25 as an announcement date. Guess we can try again tomorrow but I really think if it's not this week then maybe the second week of June will be our second announcement

• Wow
Reactions: Ahmanet
Someone in the HHN Discord about a week ago said they had a good feeling about 5/25 as an announcement date. Guess we can try again tomorrow but I really think if it's not this week then maybe the second week of June will be our second announcement
Pretty unlikely in my opinion. I believe they're doing previews (and likely an announcement) of the JP Tribute store tomorrow.

Can confirm. That place never existed, and it definitely wasn't near a under-looked Stay & Scream location.

We literally openly called it "secret bar." The bartenders agreed. We tipped well.

I also have a great feeling about May 26, May 30, June 7, June 9, and June 13. So... I guess we'll see!

So, the problem with this narrative and all the other posts complaining about marketing (or lack thereof) is that what you’re comparing to are year-round products. HHN today exists in a more competitive landscape than in the 2000’s, AND it needs more attendance than back then to break even. Combine that with the fact that we’re in an experience-based economy at the moment and boom…you’ve got a much more cutthroat market to play in. You announce something in May, yeah it’ll get people excited but you’re now “bottom of mind” throughout the summer as other Halloween events, football games, fall weekend trips, etc. start popping up and competing for that very limited, but competitive seasonal window. Someone at Universal found the timing sweet spot of “early enough to drive bookings right at announcement” and “not too early that it falls to the wayside.”
Ah, like how blockbuster movies only begin advertising a month or two out.

And is the premise here that Universal can only make one major ad push?

I'd say they do multiple.

They got the Halloween day/end of HHN announcement with Chucky to remind people to come back next year and start planning ahead. Let things simmer a bit as to not overshadow Epic/Minions/Mardi Gras/etc. Get the initial March push with tickets going on sale, house/scarezone numbers, and a mini merch push. Circle back around in the Summer with the big lineup announcement advertising push. And then go all out with the TV/radio commercials, ads in stores, billboards, etc. push around August. Chucky Season 3 is set to drop fall 2023, so I wouldn't be shocked to see a cross promotion push on Syfy/USA around August/September as well. Throw in the media events right before opening, convention panels like the one last week, whatever the current social media campaign is throwing out there, and you've got a stew cooking.

To your first point…blockbusters don’t require hotel bookings, flights, etc. (or, even for a large chunk of the local audience, financial savings to pay for a ticket) to see.

To your second…they of course do multiple ad pushes, but they’re not free and they become less effective the more muddled the message becomes with more noise.
EDIT TO ADD to the second point: Google the whole idea behind a marketing call to action. You want to capture people on the first impression…you find less success on the second, third, fourth, etc.

To your second…they of course do multiple ad pushes, but they’re not free and they become less effective the more muddled the message becomes with more noise.
EDIT TO ADD to the second point: Google the whole idea behind a marketing call to action. You want to capture people on the first impression…you find less success on the second, third, fourth, etc.

I'd argue that HHN offers a unique situation in which it has 10ish opportunities to capture a market with the different houses/shows/scare zones they could market.

Status
Not open for further replies.