Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Eulogies for Jaws

While I don't have any sort of history with the ride, I was able to experience Jaws for the first and final time when I was there in early December. I heard about its closing when we were planning our trip and was really glad that I would be able to ride it before it closed since it was an iconic attraction. I have to say it was truly an impressive ride and to a Universal noob like me, I was unaware of its age and could have believed that it was relatively new as oposed to being over 20. I credit that to the fact that I haven't been on anything like it and it was a completely new experience for me (I'm used to the high thrill roller coasters at Cedar Point). I felt the overall experience of the attraction was so unique and incredibly successful. So, ultimately, Jaws provided me with a greatly positive experience that I won't be forgetting.

Last edited:
Watching the final ride video really makes me sad. Its so weird to think its really gone now. I wish I could have been there as i'm sure it was amazing to be a part of the areas closing night.

A question i've had though after watching many of these final ride videos is have they always permitted you to take photos and video while on the ride. While watching all of the final ride videos it has seemed that the skipper is almost encouraging you to do so (but gives the warning that it may get wet). I swear on the rides I took they said photos were prohibited and I recall someone getting in trouble for taking photos on one of my rides. Is that something that changed with the ride coming to a close?

Watching the final ride video really makes me sad. Its so weird to think its really gone now. I wish I could have been there as i'm sure it was amazing to be a part of the areas closing night.

A question i've had though after watching many of these final ride videos is have they always permitted you to take photos and video while on the ride. While watching all of the final ride videos it has seemed that the skipper is almost encouraging you to do so (but gives the warning that it may get wet). I swear on the rides I took they said photos were prohibited and I recall someone getting in trouble for taking photos on one of my rides. Is that something that changed with the ride coming to a close?

Yeah I believe so. The camera rule used to be strict, but I think they understood towards the end that people really wanted to remember this ride. Two weeks ago I rode, and the skipper said, "Please no video taping, unless you want to put me on youtube and get me famous." I thought that was funny.

Yeah I believe so. The camera rule used to be strict, but I think they understood towards the end that people really wanted to remember this ride. Two weeks ago I rode, and the skipper said, "Please no video taping, unless you want to put me on youtube and get me famous." I thought that was funny.
I am sure they just say that, so if you equipment gets ruined you where warned, it has not been enforced in a long time. Also with the size of cameras and phones you could never stop it anyway...

Thats what I thought. I think it was really cool that Universal lifted that restriction to allow as much documentation of the ride as possible before it closed forever. It seems like photos and video of Kong before it closed if very few and far between.

Also did anyone ever have the chance to ride jaws in its original form when the park opened. Its weird watching the video and seeing newer portions of the ride missing. But still seems like it would have been a blast to go on.

[video=youtube;7AKeqAMulvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AKeqAMulvQ[/video]

Jaws the movie never frightened me, yet as a kid, I was afraid of the animatronic shark from the ride. Every time I swam or even sat in a bathtub, I suspected that robo-Bruce had broken away from its mechanics and was making a beeline for me (navigating through my house's plumbing wasn't going to stop it). Never had that feeling while riding the attraction, but every body of water (big or small) always held the fear that its dull, lifeless eyes were waiting.

Scareactor memories of the Jaws queue: kidnapped by Pigfaces, dangled from a net wearing a cow mask, fed into the machine of the Horizon, wielded a chainsaw. Good times. I will also never be able to hear the Bill & Ted show over and over and over and over and over again from backstage.

I feel bad for the skippers and fellow employees. The Universal attractions have good Team Member communities working behind the scenes, and I know the Jaws group was especially close knit. I hope they'll find positions that are just as fulfilling and fun.

I'll miss the programming of WJWS. The interviews with the "real" Brody, Hooper, and Quint. Mom's Kitchen restaurant. The arguments between the poor children's show host and his puppet Sharky. The lobster sequel CLAWS. Pudding World. Captain Jake himself. The water dog patrols. Commercials for the Deadly Mantis and the Mole People. Fun details in an already nicely themed area.

I can understand why fans are bemoaning the replacement of a classic attraction with possible next gen technology. Simulations and 3D have made great strides over the years, but Jaws was something tactile. Something real. You were surrounded by the clear ocean of Amity, surprised and frightened by the sudden attacks of the predator. The heat of the gas explosion almost scorched your face. Your skipper desperately tried to rescue you and your fellow passengers from a deadly situation they're not trained for. Some will miss it as a ride. Some will miss it as an experience.

[video=youtube;0injWL1Kl98]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0injWL1Kl98&feature=related[/video]

I can understand why fans are bemoaning the replacement of a classic attraction with possible next gen technology. Simulations and 3D have made great strides over the years, but Jaws was something tactile. Something real. You were surrounded by the clear ocean of Amity, surprised and frightened by the sudden attacks of the predator. The heat of the gas explosion almost scorched your face. Your skipper desperately tried to rescue you and your fellow passengers from a deadly situation they're not trained for. Some will miss it as a ride. Some will miss it as an experience.

Well said, couldn't agree more!

It's depressing that it's gone. I'm just so glad that I got to ride it for my first and last time last July. What I love about it is that it's not just an experience where there are screens with people saying the same thing in the same way every time you ride it, but rather involves live actors, the skippers, who really just make the experience. I'll really miss Jaws, it truly is a classic attraction, and one that I will miss the next time I go to Uni.

Behold the last piece of JAWS merchandise...

IMG_20120122_151511.jpg

located in the parking structure.

It is kind of funny when you park in King Kong or Jaws sections of the garage and both say "Remember Jaws" or "Remember Kong"

I remember when I thought that Potter happening may finally be the end of Kong parking but I guess it was not the case. I wonder if with Jaws going too that will change anything. They are still classic movie properties and pop culture legends so I hope they don't go, but it is getting a little odd.

There is still a collectable penny machine in the old Amity Bathrooms, there all Jaws except one, i have a picture that ill upload soon. Also here is a neat video by a good fan:
[video=youtube;HC_AbqzbRj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_AbqzbRj4&feature=youtu.be[/video]\\

Herezg6Sv_oreqM is the best Jaws Tribute i have seen
[video=youtube;zg6Sv_oreqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg6Sv_oreqM[/video]

In case you haven't seen it, here is the Jaws video I shot shortly before closing on the day Tom Croom organized a reunion of Skippers from the early 90's. Think of it as Amity meets Rocky Horror...
[video=youtube_share;2s_fFgKgFO8]http://youtu.be/2s_fFgKgFO8[/video]