The Condition of the Yeti AA | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

The Condition of the Yeti AA

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yep. I mean, it's one of the tent poles of DAK. It would hurt the park's draw if they replied only on Kilimanjaro and Lion King. It makes sense they'd wait to fix it until they anticipate an attendance boom.

I can't agree.

1) They have 3 other parks and an entire resort to deal with crowds. Treating each park as it's own entity and not part of the larger resort is one of the reasons we're in the managerial mess we are now.

2) There were plans devised to fix the yeti that wouldn't necessitate a lengthy closure.

3) It goes against the basic principles of the WDW resort.

I can't agree.

1) They have 3 other parks and an entire resort to deal with crowds. Treating each park as it's own entity and not part of the larger resort is one of the reasons we're in the managerial mess we are now.

2) There were plans devised to fix the yeti that wouldn't necessitate a lengthy closure.

3) It goes against the basic principles of the WDW resort.

Considering DAK is the only park of the four to have seen an increase in attendance last year, it puts an emphasis on it as an individual park. Why hurt the earnings of the park that's pulling it's weight and then time? There is pressure on it to keep running as long as it's current status works (which is apparently has been despite said Yeti. Having plans to fix him that aren't lengthy still hurt the park's earnings. Why not wait until they have a nice financial cushion and new attractions to take the eyes off it? I can't say fully understand what is meant by your number 3, but okay.

I'm showing the Keys to the Kingdom every CM learns in Traditions, which they claim every decision in the resort needs to uphold.

I took traditions... 6 years ago :doh: At any rate, one might consider a broken Yeti on a working ride better show than nothing at all. The ride itself might not be 100%, like the Death Star in Return of the Jedi, but, much like the Death Star, it is still fully operational and a guests' favorite. If there were even a decent handful of daily complaints about it's lack of show, Disney would likely act, since they only tend to after people yell at them.

At any rate, one might consider a broken Yeti on a working ride better show than nothing at all. The ride itself might not be 100%, like the Death Star in Return of the Jedi, but, much like the Death Star, it is still fully operational and a guests' favorite. If there were even a decent handful of daily complaints about it's lack of show, Disney would likely act, since they only tend to after people yell at them.

I doubt many guests even notice the Yeti anymore. And if they do, many probably don't know he's supposed to move. But that doesn't excuse Disney from willfully putting on an incomplete show. I'd direct you to Kevin Yee's article today on his so called "Rizzo Factor" (They're tourists, what do they know?) and how it's led to the maintenance decline property wide.

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky021412a.htm

It doesn't make the current shape of the resort acceptable when guests that probably don't know any better are completely okay with diminished maintenance and offerings. Disney says it's out to produce the best experiences out there. Not broken ones. And DAK is the worst offender in that department (followed closely by the MK). The more excuses that are made for lapses in maintenance, the more they'll happen.

I doubt many guests even notice the Yeti anymore. And if they do, many probably don't know he's supposed to move. But that doesn't excuse Disney from willfully putting on an incomplete show. I'd direct you to Kevin Yee's article today on his so called "Rizzo Factor" (They're tourists, what do they know?) and how it's led to the maintenance decline property wide.

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky021412a.htm

It doesn't make the current shape of the resort acceptable when guests that probably don't know any better are completely okay with diminished maintenance and offerings. Disney says it's out to produce the best experiences out there. Not broken ones. And DAK is the worst offender in that department (followed closely by the MK). The more excuses that are made for lapses in maintenance, the more they'll happen.

Having a broken animatronic and never fixing it is one thing. Waiting for the best time to fix it is another. If the Yeti on Everest is reduced to the Yeti of Matterhorn for the rest of its miserable existence, then that is a problem. But being smart about when he is fixed is perfectly acceptable in my book. DAK is the only park of four to have improved the past year in regards to regular attendance. Disney is smart not to eff that up until they have a soft, blue, alien pillow to fall back on. Universal was in dire need of resort-wide repairs but only recently have they done things like upgrading Spider-Man or refurbishing the Neutron simulator or actually repaint their Islands for once thanks to a little island known as WWoHP. That too was smart. If a sure thing like Pandora is on the horizon, wait it out, use the money earned out of its launch, and disperse it to the attractions in need. I'm not saying that is Disney's plan, but I figure it is. And if it is, then I will be satisfied.

Having a broken animatronic and never fixing it is one thing. Waiting for the best time to fix it is another.

Fair enough, but under the standards Disney sets itself to, a decade of disrepair on a marquee attraction is unacceptable, just as the dark years of neglect at UOR (2003-2007/8) were unacceptable.

And I don't think DAK will end up with that blue alien pillow to fall back on.

Fair enough, but under the standards Disney sets itself to, a decade of disrepair on a marquee attraction is unacceptable, just as the dark years of neglect at UOR (2003-2007/8) were unacceptable.

And I don't think DAK will end up with that blue alien pillow to fall back on.

You think Pandora plans will fall through?

I have a feeling from small tidbits from friends. Could go either way.

Needless to say it's very much up in the air and as someone put it, "If Iger leaves earlier than originally planned, all bets are off of it ever seeing daylight."

Eesh, I don't like the sounds of that. I didn't like Avatar as a film, but its theme park applications seem virtually limitless. I hope it all pulls through :/

Personally I'm against the project for thematic reasons, but I will admit the land could end up being good.

I'd be sold with just a bioluminescent bar. But we could very plausibly see some wicked coasters and/or dark rides come out of it. I wouldn't mind a fresh face at DAK one bit, hah. I just hope the deal keeps.

Yep. I mean, it's one of the tent poles of DAK. It would hurt the park's draw if they replied only on Kilimanjaro and Lion King. It makes sense they'd wait to fix it until they anticipate an attendance boom.

Out of curiosity, when did it become acceptable to have to wait 10 years for an essential show scene to be made operational? I don't care if there are plans. 10 years is unacceptable. And the longer it remains unfixed, the more likely that it will never be fixed.

No way in hell is a day at DAK worth $90. Would someone see a play/movie/sporting event without a finale? Everest is no different.

I was there last weekend, You can BARELY see the Yeti now. It's pretty much a camera flash when you near him instead of strobes now....might as well make that area dark....my younger cousin had trouble seeing him and even my uncle commented that he had trouble making him out. WTH Disney???

So would that be C mode? :lol:

Reactions: Cwoolboy
Well the effects in Dinosaur never appeared, so does it really count? :inquisitive: