Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 58 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Potter already has a vastly superior fanbase than does Avatar (most franchises, really) so I'd put my money on Universal for best opening. Disney has a great chance though to shock the hell out of naysayers. And I hope they do (but I won't expect it).

Avatar does not have a quarter of the following that Potter does. I would expect to see the same size attendance increase that Everest got when it first opened. Mostly Disney fans, I don't think there are many Avatar fans that would be willing to fly from all over the world.

Avatar will succeed only because WDW guests will be starved for something new. If they haven't already, that will be the year USF and IoA definitely surpass DHS (barring additions to DHS).

Avatar will succeed only because WDW guests will be starved for something new. If they haven't already, that will be the year USF and IoA definitely surpass DHS (barring additions to DHS).

If both Universal parks surpass any of the WDW Resort parks you will see a total overhaul to the TDO management structure.

Uni's success of the WWOHP relied on the Potter fandom. WDW's success of Avatar will rely on the Disney fandom.

Uni brought more people in because they put money on a property that has a massive, tried and true fan base and likability among general audiences. Disney jumped the gun and took a colossal risk with believing Avatar has longevity based on solely on box office numbers.

Uni's success of the WWOHP relied on the Potter fandom. WDW's success of Avatar will rely on the Disney fandom.

Uni brought more people in because they put money on a property that has a massive, tried and true fan base and likability among general audiences. Disney jumped the gun and took a colossal risk with believing Avatar has longevity based on solely on box office numbers.

This is the reason why I don't think this was the best idea they could of chosen. Just because a film has huge box-office numbers doesn't mean that it has a huge following. Just look at Star Trek, it has small comparative box-office figures yet has one of the biggest and most dedicated fanbases of any franchise. Avatar hardly has a large fan base. Most people who saw it were thinking more of the technology that went into making it as nothing else was like it. It was rare that people go, "Avatar has the best story and I can't wait for the blu-ray release so I can watch it again and again". It is basically a movie that in a few decades it will just look stupid, as the focus of the movie was in how it looks, but in the future when everything has improved. Even now you can see the change in the realism since the early 90s. So by building a whole land on the movie will be horrible in a decades time since it will be of a movie which most people have very little interest in.

This is the reason why I don't think this was the best idea they could of chosen. Just because a film has huge box-office numbers doesn't mean that it has a huge following. Just look at Star Trek, it has small comparative box-office figures yet has one of the biggest and most dedicated fanbases of any franchise. Avatar hardly has a large fan base. Most people who saw it were thinking more of the technology that went into making it as nothing else was like it. It was rare that people go, "Avatar has the best story and I can't wait for the blu-ray release so I can watch it again and again". It is basically a movie that in a few decades it will just look stupid, as the focus of the movie was in how it looks, but in the future when everything has improved. Even now you can see the change in the realism since the early 90s. So by building a whole land on the movie will be horrible in a decades time since it will be of a movie which most people have very little interest in.

If you want to see the difference between HP's fan base and Avatar's, all you have to do is check out The Noble Collection's web site. Potter has 188 pieces of merch, and Avatar has 7.

http://www.noblecollection.com/index.cfm?fa=

If you want to see the difference between HP's fan base and Avatar's, all you have to do is check out The Noble Collection's web site. Potter has 188 pieces of merch, and Avatar has 7.

http://www.noblecollection.com/index.cfm?fa=

That link only shows 2 of their weapons. There are over 20
HP does not have any 3D toys. Avatar has more than a dozen

I could mention over 300 Avatar pieces of merch if that is the case

Universal created over 700 pieces of exclusive merch for Potter. That doesn't include any of the WB stuff available in the park.

But I brought up the Noble Collection to demonstrate the difference in the demand from the fan bases for each film.

If the attractions are compelling, then it will be successful. If it is a big Na'vi M&G with 20 different knives for sale, we will see.

By the way, I am hearing the Soarin' based attraction won't be muck like Soarin' but more like Turtle Trek on steroids. Instead of a dome, think being in the center of a sphere and, of course, 3D.

Last edited:
Dynamic Structures, the same company who built Soarin' and has done other various Disney projects, offers this interesting motion theater concept:

mt.jpg

So it could very well be something similar in design to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.