Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Acquiring Lucasfilm

The best tweets I've seen reacting to this:

Star Wars VII: The Emperor's New Groove
Jack Sparrow steals the Millennium Falcon. Hijinks ensue. [HASHTAG]#DisneyBuysLucasfilm[/HASHTAG]
Star Wars Episode VII: The Jedi Wore Tennis Shoes [HASHTAG]#disneybuyslucasfilms[/HASHTAG]
"NOW THAT DISNEY OWNS MARVEL + STAR WARS, HULK STARRING IN CROSSOVER MOVIE WHERE HULK SMASHES JAR JAR BINKS FOR 2 HOURS FOR, LIKE, NO REASON" by @FilmCritHulk
Jar Jar, Goofy. Goofy, Jar Jar. [HASHTAG]#disneybuyslucasfilm[/HASHTAG]

The good thing is that Episode 7 through 9 have literally been written in some really successful and well received books. Unless they really deviate they have these movies in the bag, not to mention I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of Old Republic tv show in a few years.

You bring in Chris Nolan and look out...

Nolan needs to stay the eff away from Star Wars:saber:

- - - Updated - - -

The good thing is that Episode 7 through 9 have literally been written in some really successful and well received books. Unless they really deviate they have these movies in the bag, not to mention I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of Old Republic tv show in a few years.

I don't think you'll see the Thrawn story brought in.

Chris Nolan only has directed the biggest trilogy since the original Star Wars trilogy and some other box office hits as well. i would say he's up to the task :thumbs: what's joss wedon directed..The Avengers? Ohh the most hyped,worst movie I've seen in a long time. What's that...Avengers broke box office records you're thinking. Well that's because (a) Disney always lies about their numbers and (b) movie tickets are how expensive? :p

Chris Nolan only has directed the biggest trilogy since the original Star Wars trilogy and some other box office hits as well. i would say he's up to the task :thumbs: what's joss wedon directed..The Avengers? Ohh the most hyped,worst movie I've seen in a long time. What's that...Avengers broke box office records you're thinking. Well that's because (a) Disney always lies about their numbers and (b) movie tickets are how expensive? :p

And suddenly, your posts make a lot more sense.

Nolan is all kinds of wrong for the Star Wars universe. Period. He has his niche, and the Star Wars universe isn't in it.

I'll just ignore your Avengers/Whedon comments.

Joke answer: Get Michael Bay to do it. He knows how to make blockbuster movies.

Possible answer: Rian Johnson. He did a great job with Looper.

I really don't see the significance of this. Sure more movies to a series that honestly should stay "history". Now granted I loved Star Wars but Disney is notorious for taking old classics and continuing to make sequels and most sequels are never good. Honestly keep Star Wars movies in the past, sure build rides blah blah blah but please disney dont destroy a timeless classic by branding it with your logo.

Please.

And honestly, seeing the press picture of lucas with all of the disney characters dressed as star wars characters really just makes me queasy. Sorry for all those who are in favor of this but I don't like it at all.

Last edited:
Maybe they could get Gary Kurtz back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kurtz

Kurtz then became producer of Star Wars, released in 1977, and its sequel, The Empire Strikes Back released in 1980. Many of the more mystical and spiritual elements of Star Wars were influenced by Kurtz, who had extensively studied comparative religion.

Kurtz recalled after Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981, Lucas became convinced that audiences no longer cared about the story; they were simply there for thrills and entertainment, and he began to deviate from the original planned plotlines for Return of the Jedi, at which point Kurtz quit the series. Kurtz has also claimed that Lucas changed the emphasis from storytelling to one that prioritized toy merchandising.[1] Kurtz has expressed his dissatisfaction with Return of the Jedi and Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.[2] Kurtz was particularly displeased with Lucas' decisions in Return of the Jedi to resurrect the Death Star and to change the plot outline from one that ended on a "bittersweet and poignant" note to one having a "euphoric ending where everyone was happy".[1]

Maybe it's easier to say all of that in hindsight, but it really did go downhill after Episode V and became very merchandised beyond insanity, making movies more friendly to selling products.

Plus Lucas wanted a haunted mansion in Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade, was insistent on the aliens in Crystal Skull (er..the inter-dimensional beings who looked like aliens), and then writing/directing the entire prequel trilogy. After all of that, and not actually writing or directing Empire Strikes Back, I'm in the camp of the less George is involved the better. The fact that he's a creative consultant is troubling but maybe they can filter through his bad ideas and get something good out of him.

I said this in the Star Wars Effect on Uni thread, but I'll say it again here.

Some of these responses....wow...just wow.

"Star Wars will flop".....................................................

I said this in the Star Wars Effect on Uni thread, but I'll say it again here.

Some of these responses....wow...just wow.

"Star Wars will flop".....................................................

It may make money and not technically flop, but that doesn't mean it will be a a decent film. And it could also destroy any last remaining respect for the star wars saga.

It may make money and not technically flop, but that doesn't mean it will be a a decent film. And it could also destroy any last remaining respect for the star wars saga.

Or the new films could be better than the prequels. The point is it's too soon to tell. Lucas didn't even make the best Star Wars film, in fact he made the 3 worst.

It be have to be much, much worse than to prequels to completely ruin all respect for SW. Even if there is no respect for SW in whatever state it may be in at any particular time, it is hard to erase the fact that the original film changed the landscape of films forever. That being said this new trilogy is probably not going to be horrible. People will probably be (justifiably) saying it is not as good as the original trilogy but it was better than the prequels. The originals have become modern legends so it is near impossible to top them, for the fans at least, but that does not mean they will be bad movie. Most likely above average. Disney live action films are not perfect but the prequels have garnered so much hate (not all of it justified) that the consensus will most likely be positive for this new films.