Middle Earth coming to UOR? | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Middle Earth coming to UOR?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The guy who explained to me how the negotiation process went up to this point, is saying that talks have now stalled over merchandising royalties for The Hobbit. I am pretty sure that it's just a speed bump. The Tolkien Family sued over merchandising royalties ater the LotR movies. A undisclosed cash settlement was reached and then they gave their blessing for The Hobbit. This seems to be a thing for the Tolkien Family. I bet an undisclosed cash settlement will me reached and then they will give their blessing for thier next oppertunity to sue.

Oh, and did I mention that 2 of my sources are saying that there is nothing to this whole rumor. That Universal isn't even thinking about the LotR?

Last edited:
I would definitely be game for a LOTR section and it would have to go in Islands of Adventure for sure.

Ideally, Hobbiton and Mordor are vital if this was to actually occur. There is so much in the lore to even think though...feel like the only way to do a concept like this right is to create a legitimate whole theme park.

And since when is Jurassic Park expanding? Haha

The guy who explained to me how the negotiation process went up to this point, is saying that talks have now stalled over merchandising royalties for The Hobbit. I am pretty sure that it's just a speed bump. The Tolkien Family sued over merchandising royalties ater the LotR movies. A undisclosed cash settlement was reached and then they gave their blessing for The Hobbit. This seems to be a thing for the Tolkien Family. I bet an undisclosed cash settlement will me reached and then they will give their blessing for thier next oppertunity to sue.

Oh, and did I mention that 2 of my sources are saying that there is nothing to this whole rumor. That Universal isn't even thinking about the LotR?

I can't say I would blame them for not wanting any part if that's true because the Tolkien Family would make JKR and James Cameron look like pushovers in terms of control issues.

Feeling pretty "Eh" about this overall. If it prevents Disney from getting it I'd be okay with it. Otherwise I don't think Universal has the land to truly do LotR justice. Potter takes place in a relatively contained location, in Fellowship alone there are 14 locations.

I would like to note that if this comes to fruition Kidzone 2.0 could be shelved and the plot behind MIB and Kidzone could be merged to make a giant land. I don't see it happening, just a point to be made.

I don't know anything about LotR so I shouldn't say much. But, I am a huge fan Toon Lagoon as it is my favorite area of the park. I will finally understand how emotional people got about Jaws closes if Toon Lagoon closes, and I don't want to know that feeling.

Personally, I think Universal just wants merchandise right now, and if they ever want theme park rights, they put it in a third park when it is the best economic time to build a third park. Universal doesn't want what happened with Disney with people going to 3 of the 4 parks.

it's nice that lance didn't outright source the story from you, disneyhead, but andrew sims from hypable was courteous enough.

If UO wants to do LOTR right, they'll need another park. If WDW wants to do LOTR right, they'll also need another park. It's just grand and epic to be conformed to small plots of land or dopey "Hollywood" themeing. It needs to be big and immersing. I'd rather both parks keep to their own properties though, rather than the current mad grab for outside franchises. WDW, for instance, needs Halloween Town installed before something like Pandora.

If UO wants to do LOTR right, they'll need another park. If WDW wants to do LOTR right, they'll also need another park. It's just grand and epic to be conformed to small plots of land or dopey "Hollywood" themeing. It needs to be big and immersing. I'd rather both parks keep to their own properties though, rather than the current mad grab for outside franchises. WDW, for instance, needs Halloween Towninstalled before something like Pandora.

Sweet mother of god YES!

Sweet mother of god YES!

Seriously. What's keeping them from this? I mean, it's a proven cashcow and has never lost steam. Stellar DVD sales and 3D theatrical rereleases, high praise for its spin on HM, and over 4 hour lines for meet and greets. Best of all though THEY ALREADY OWN IT. Maybe one day WDW will wake up. Hopefully.

I absolutely love seeing this thread grow because when a rumor thread gets big enough here at OU, you know it's going to very well come true.

If UO wants to do LOTR right, they'll need another park. If WDW wants to do LOTR right, they'll also need another park. It's just grand and epic to be conformed to small plots of land or dopey "Hollywood" themeing. It needs to be big and immersing. I'd rather both parks keep to their own properties though, rather than the current mad grab for outside franchises. WDW, for instance, needs Halloween Town installed before something like Pandora.

That would get me there.

Seriously. What's keeping them from this? I mean, it's a proven cashcow and has never lost steam. Stellar DVD sales and 3D theatrical rereleases, high praise for its spin on HM, and over 4 hour lines for meet and greets. Best of all though THEY ALREADY OWN IT. Maybe one day WDW will wake up. Hopefully.

I've been hoping they wake up for nearly a decade in terms of Halloweentown! Give me a NBC section in MGM complete with a cutting edge darkride and all is forgiven to TDO for sitting idle. I hope the guy (name escapes me) who is replacing Crofton will make bringing NBC to WDW a top priority. Regardless of whether or not its a layover at the HM or a full blown project not using these characters is a crime against fans every where.

I've been hoping they wake up for nearly a decade in terms of Halloweentown! Give me a NBC section in MGM complete with a cutting edge darkride and all is forgiven to TDO for sitting idle. I hope the guy (name escapes me) who is replacing Crofton will make bringing NBC to WDW a top priority. Regardless of whether or not its a layover at the HM or a full blown project not using these characters is a crime against fans every where.

George Kalogridis, President Disneyland Resort

Haunted Mansion Holiday is out of the picture since tourists would get mad that HM would be down. That said I would LOVE for NBC to come somehow to WDW!