Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, whats the latest word, that the 'hyper coaster' rumor is bunk? Or rather, that its not a fair description? Because I would love for a JP themed coaster that incorporates some dinos, or preferably, a dark ride. I have to say, as long as JP see's a big, positive expansion, I will be happy.. the second part of the rumor about the walking attraction seems awesome.

Just so I'm on the same page as all of you, this is the supposed spot for the new ride, correct?

2yzhaba.jpg

Because the "other" destination theme park resort in town is bringing close to 20 million people to town and they are aggressively courting the young family demographic. While Universal is now thought of as mostly for teens/adults, getting a larger piece of Disney's 20 million is probably a good thing.

Very credible argument!

My thought, replace the Pteranodon Flyers for a Wing coaster based on the Pteranodon and the Amber Mines aimed for the kids.

Wasn't it a decision between JP expansion or Mt Crumpit? It seems like both could use family rides; a hypercoaster makes no sense at all. The Mine Car Coaster did, as did the dark ride. I would think one of those would actually happen before a hypercoaster.

Wasn't it a decision between JP expansion or Mt Crumpit? It seems like both could use family rides; a hypercoaster makes no sense at all. The Mine Car Coaster did, as did the dark ride. I would think one of those would actually happen before a hypercoaster.

I wonder with the announcement that Illumination Entertainment will be doing a Grinch movie that a Mt. Crumpit ride may pick up a little steam to become a reality someday?

I think a coaster with less thrill than Hippogriff (because honestly, it's the most thrilling kiddie coaster ever) would be a step in the right direction. They need a "Kid's First Coaster" like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will be for Disney.

They also need 2-3 slow moving, non-spinning dark rides in each park. Too much of their stuff spins like crazy.

Universal needs a Haunted Mansion/Pirates of the Caribbean like experience in each park, along with a few smaller Fantasyland-like rides.

I agree with every single thing you said.

Universal lacks chill dark rides. They can still be thrilling... emotionally thrilling - as opposed to physically thrilling, adrenaline pumping rides - with amazing special effects and designs that attack all our senses.

I personally think they should turn Poseidon into an amazing dark ride with breathtaking effects and highly detailed theming to match the outside's. They have wonderful elements like the water vortex, or the bit where it goes dark and then you're magically in the secret chamber. But then there's a lot of "meh" too. And while I'm at it, I'll also add that I don't really like the queue :lol: They could add track, re-work the rooms and scenes, and turn it into an awesome dark ride. It could still be guided and use screens here and there, but maybe they can upgrade to HD or musion, and improve some of their other effects. There's so many great things that could be done!

Then I think KidZone could really use a dark ride, maybe where Curious George's playground is. Go wild with details, colors, smells, sounds, lights. Again attack our senses here, Uni. Make it something that will mesmerize kids and adults alike. Just because it's slow and tame in its movement, it can still be powerful and thrilling. And so many people would love to have nice, relaxing, A/C'd :lol: rides to be their "in-between" from the other more intense rides the parks offer.

Reeling it back into topic: JP. I'm more looking forward to the possibility of a fun family coaster with dark ride elements, rather than a more extreme coaster. I love big crazy rides and coasters, but let's go with some variety and make it highly detailed, and long! FotH is satisfying for the few moments it lasts, but then it's over too quickly. Woody Woodpecker is a different story... It doesn't even have the great theming and view that Hippogriff has, so it's just short and neither here nor there on what it's supposed to be. It's pretty fast for the younger kids, and it's not very attractive for the older kids or adults. So, I hope the rumored JP coaster is one that is long, not as fast paced, and that it has great theming and maybe even some AAs!

I am glad Universal is turning up their theming and quality all around, like we're seeing with Springfield, and glad that KidZone looks to be next. Universal has amazing rides, but some of them are a bit inconsistent in the quality of theming. Hopefully they'll keep tackling the weaker parts of the current rides, like in Mummy, where there's rooms with top notch theming, but then you have flashing lights and cut outs for other parts of the ride :ack:. They just need to stay on a roll, sprucing up the attractions and resort overall. And I have faith they will! :thumbs:

My dream is to have the Toon Lagoon theater area replaced with a Scooby-Doo haunted dark ride Omnimover.

:drool5: Love that idea! Scooby is classic, and still being featured in the park to this day!

Exactly. Whether or not universal adds a kid ride will not change where they rank for attendance. The fact is WDW has enough land to build 10 universals and WDW has double the parks universal does. Adding a kid ride won't change that

I disagree. Potter makes the masses come, but the rest of the resort will keep them coming back and staying longer. If Universal shows that they're also a great option for families with younger kids, they might spend more time and money here, and less at Disney. Obviously one more ride won't do it, but a few here and there, and improving their current "kid" areas could really make an impact for that demographic.

Right, but would u prefer it at 2 parks to be all catered to kids. They have a bit of everything..... Which IMO is the definition of family rides. They have rides that all members of a family like, maybe not all of them at one. Appealing to teens and adults is a smarter idea IMO cuz all kids eventually become teens and adults... Think about it this way, when Harry potter came out(books/films) it was for kids and teens. That main audience is now teens and adults. I see the need to have more family rides at universal. I actually like a family coaster/dark ride being added. I just don't feel that adding 1 kid ride is going to make universal appeal to more families and make then jump ship from WDW

It wouldn't be all catered to kids. They would add new rides, like the Simpsons spinny ride and the new JP coaster, as well as improve their current Kid areas to be more appealing and stand out more. There would still be everything else that the parks currently offer, but now include more for families with younger members (and BTW, also for the elderly and pregnant, that can't do the more intense rides).

Also, it's not good to "wait" for the kids to become teens. They should aim to get all demographics now for more business/profit :thumbs:

My thought, replace the Pteranodon Flyers for a Wing coaster based on the Pteranodon and the Amber Mines aimed for the kids.

I would love to see an expanded Flyers ride that covers more ground, making it longer, and most importantly change the vehicles to allow everyone on, not just those with access to a short kid :p

Last edited:
Universal lacks chill dark rides. They can still be thrilling... emotionally thrilling - as opposed to physically thrilling, adrenaline pumping rides - with amazing special effects and designs that attack all our senses.

Universal needs their Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Spaceship Earth, or such. You don't have to nearly die in everything. Closest Universal has is ET, Cat in the Hat is too whip-lash inducing.

So with all these on again off again rumored additions to JP, are they actually still expanding or does everybody not have a clue in the world what the heck is going on with JP?!?!?! It's driving me crazy with the article posted on the main OU site about the expansion then none of it seems to be true...so what is it? Expansion or no expansion?

So with all these on again off again rumored additions to JP, are they actually still expanding or does everybody not have a clue in the world what the heck is going on with JP?!?!?! It's driving me crazy with the article posted on the main OU site about the expansion then none of it seems to be true...so what is it? Expansion or no expansion?
Yes, expansion. And it seems as if they have pitched a bunch of different attraction concepts. What we don't know is what has actually gotten the green light.

Yes, expansion. And it seems as if they have pitched a bunch of different attraction concepts. What we don't know is what has actually gotten the green light.

DH is dead on, a JP expansion is coming and we can expect major construction to start sometime after the busy Summer season. One thing I think we can almost definitely count on IMO is a rollercoaster of some type.

DH is dead on, a JP expansion is coming and we can expect major construction to start sometime after the busy Summer season. One thing I think we can almost definitely count on IMO is a rollercoaster of some type.

Still expected summer of 2014?

What's the new project Mike Aiello is working on (he tweeted a picture of him about to work on a new ride)

Status
Not open for further replies.