Antarctica - Empire of the Penguin | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Antarctica - Empire of the Penguin

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So did Universal have this layout designed themselves and then put the coaster out to bid for those that could build it to their spec?

I remember following construction and everyone going crazy when they put the lift up and then took some down. I even Remember hearing some crazy rumors about them installing some type of spiral up the lift and everything. Pretty wild

Last edited:
So did Universal have this layout designed themselves and then put the coaster out to bid for those that could build it to their spec?

I remember following construction and everyone going crazy when they put the lift up and then took some down. I even Remember hearing some crazy rumors about them installing some type of spiral up the lift and everything. Pretty wild

They had a general idea of what they wanted to do (basically think Hollywood Dream) and they put the bid out to a few coaster manufacturers. Each came back with their design.

Makes you wonder what the other vendors had drawn up and how different the ride could have been had someone else gotten the job

The big problem was that B&M weren't available to build it in 2009. Had they waited a year or two, we might have gotten Hollywood Dream 2.0 instead of the Maurer Disaster.

I still wish the dang thing would be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up by B&M. It'd be way more smooth and reliable!

There were 2 main issues with HRRR. One of them is a Maurer design issue. The other was with the state of FL. The State of FL issue was the lift hill. HRRR was designed with a reverse cable lift system. The system was designed so that if there was an E Stop, they could easily back the cars down off the lift hill. The state of FL decided that that wasn't good enough and made them install roll back stops. That made it IMPOSSIBLE to back the cars off the lift hill as designed. That is why they had to redesign the lift hill. The other issue is strictly a Maurer issue in that the "inverted" loop is causing an unexpected torque issue with the ride vehicles. This is causing excessive wear on the neoprene wheels resulting in the rough ride problem. Aside from that it is causing stress fractures on the ride vehicles and the vibration is wreaking havoc with the on-board electronics.

I told everyone that the ride vehicles were cracking before the ride opened and everyone said I was crazy. We will put that in the bin with me telling everyone in July 2008 (almost 2 years before the WWOHP opened) that if Potter is crazy successful (my exact words), Phase II would involve Potter replacing Jaws and there would be a train through the backstage connecting the 2 parks.

Last edited:
The big problem was that B&M weren't available to build it in 2009. Had they waited a year or two, we might have gotten Hollywood Dream 2.0 instead of the Maurer Disaster.

I still wish the dang thing would be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up by B&M. It'd be way more smooth and reliable!

First let me state that im a huge fan of B&M, my personal favorite coaster company but in a way im glad they didn't go with B&M. Central Florida is really saturated with B&M so I was glad they went with someone else to add some diversity to CFL's coaster lineup. Me personally, I really enjoy Rockit, i know im one of the few :lol: and have yet to have a bad ride on it.

- - - Updated - - -

There were 2 main issues with HRRR. One of them is a Maurer design issue. The other was with the state of FL. The State of FL issue was the lift hill. HRRR was designed with a reverse cable lift system. The system was designed so that if there was an E Stop, they could easily back the cars down off the lift hill. The state of FL decided that that wasn't good enough and made them install roll back stops. That made it IMPOSSIBLE to back the cars off the lift hill as designed. That is why they had to redesign the lift hill. The other issue is strictly a Maurer issue in that the "inverted" loop is causing an unexpected torque issue with the ride vehicles. This is causing excessive wear on the neoprene wheels resulting in the rough ride problem. Aside from that it is causing stress fractures on the ride vehicles and the vibration is wreaking havoc with the on-board electronics.

I told everyone that the ride vehicles were cracking before the ride opened and everyone said I was crazy. We will put that in the bin with me telling everyone in July 2008 (almost 2 years before the WWOHP opened) that if Potter is crazy successful (my exact words), Phase II would involve Potter replacing Jaws and there would be a train through the backstage connecting the 2 parks.

You know your stuff, there is no denying that :thumbs:

I was joking, I know everybody be watching nowadays. :thumbs:

Haha yes. It's all good man. Very easily 2010-2020 is another golden age of theme parks.

You think Holyland has an eye on these boards :lol: :look:

They're countering the sin and wickedness of wizards and devil's magic with an E ticket attraction about a boy who goes to a secret private boarding school for Jesus something-something.

Reactions: BJCool
First let me state that im a huge fan of B&M, my personal favorite coaster company but in a way im glad they didn't go with B&M. Central Florida is really saturated with B&M so I was glad they went with someone else to add some diversity to CFL's coaster lineup. Me personally, I really enjoy Rockit, i know im one of the few :lol: and have yet to have a bad ride on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha well you're lucky. Out of the twenty rides or so I've had, only like two of them have been smooth. As someone who has ridden around 200 coasters, I hate to say it, but that ride isn't even in my top 40.

I'd take a nice B&M hyper anyday. Florida doesn't have one of those, a wing rider, or a stand up yet. (Though I'm not a big fan of stand ups)

- - - Updated - - -

I remember you saying that way back when I was just a lurker and I thought it was crazy...though the drop to seasonal operation of Jaws years ago got me kind of nervous thinking you were right...and of course years later it actually happened.

You know your stuff! It's much appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha well you're lucky. Out of the twenty rides or so I've had, only like two of them have been smooth. As someone who has ridden around 200 coasters, I hate to say it, but that ride isn't even in my top 40.

I'd take a nice B&M hyper anyday. Florida doesn't have one of those, a wing rider, or a stand up yet. (Though I'm not a big fan of stand ups)

- - - Updated - - -

I remember you saying that way back when I was just a lurker and I thought it was crazy...though the drop to seasonal operation of Jaws years ago got me kind of nervous thinking you were right...and of course years later it actually happened.

You know your stuff! It's much appreciated!

Those 2 pieces of info really are the only cool things I have ever gotten. I just didn't dismiss them as crazy talk. Other than that HTF has about a billion times more "not supposed to know" stuff.