Transformers: The Ride - Summer 2013 | Page 464 | Inside Universal Forums

Transformers: The Ride - Summer 2013

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is it Transformers?

• Yes

Votes: 145 91.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 8.2%

• Total voters
To kind of give everyone an idea of the size of Optimus, here is a picture I took this morning. What you see here is Optimus lying on his back (his head laying towards us) and his right arm sticking straight out. That's what's popping up over the barricade is just his right arm alone.

I had seen the pic, but now that you gave that description, I can visualize it better... and WOW! :jaw: HUMONGOUS!

You lucky TM people!! :cheers:

Here's another queue video:

[video=youtube;YYSGlQPaqro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YYSGlQPaqro[/video]

(Mark Woodbury at 1:50?)

Opinions following tonight:

The queue is lengthier than I had anticipated on the inside, there seems to be some fairly good capacity in here to reduce outside waiting time. The preshows videos are well done, and the screens are plentiful to make sure everyone knows what's going on. I appreciate that the single riders and express pass users will be proper brought up to speed too.

As for the ride, I'd say the biggest difference between this and Spider-Man is spacing. The physical sets and screens seem to be pulled tighter into the vehicle, which helps the ride experience. The 3d is as crisp as can be, and the lifts are very well disguised. Simply put, we've known a bit about this ride from it's previous incarnations in Singapore and Hollywood, and the Orlando version will also be a featured attraction of it's park for years to come.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
ok, a bit more in-depth review now that I'm home.

First of all, I absolutely loved the ride--best attraction at Universal by far!
Having never been on the Hollywood version my expectations were only set by Spider-Man. Boy is that a poor ride to compare it to. Transformers is easily like Spider-Man times 10. For one thing, it's technically superior in every way. The 3-D is perfect, and it is hard to tell you are watching a CGI film--everything looks very realistic. Also, you can't tell you are watching it in 3-D, as there is no blurriness, no double-vision, none of that. It is all crystal clear. And the ride vehicles are much improved as well! There's no bumpiness or clunky movements, it's all very fluid, smooth, and fast. There seems to be more degrees of motion on Transformers as well (though that may have just been clever simulation).
Aesthetically, I also prefer Transformers. The screens are right in your face, meaning you are completely absorbed by every scene and totally immersed in what is going on. And unlike Spider-Man, where the riders play mere spectators for the majority of the ride, Transformers puts you right in the action--when you face a screen, you're not watching Spider-Man fight a bad guy, YOU are fighting the bad guy; you speed through streets, crash through buildings, and even get eaten at one point. And the movement is matched to the on-screen motion almost perfectly, making for one hell of a convincing ride.
I was surprised by how much the ride throws you around. The movements can be pretty dramatic and aggressive, and I got to know the guy sitting next to me pretty well as Evac threw us around. This is a much more intense ride than Spider-Man. Another thing I really liked about it was how in-your-face everything was. The effects happen all around you and the screens totally envelop you, making for quite an experience. In this case, bigger is not better, in fact, I don't think this ride would have worked on a bigger scale...the chaos they are trying to convey relies on the feeling of being really up close in the action.
I was also pleasantly surprised that the ride is not ALL screens. There are a few seconds where you are simply riding Evac through the city streets, and there are a few very impressive live sets that compliment the action well. The ending especially is a real looker! Overall, the sets were very well-done, moreso than I expected.

So more fluid, more fast-paced, more in-your-face, and more technologically advanced than Spider-Man. Now onto the bad (and I admit, I am completely nitpicking here but better to here it from me before you all ride yourselves): the story really isn't there. I couldn't have come up with anything better, but it's pretty much the same generic theme park storyline you see in nearly every ride in the park. In fact, in the queue line I was thinking that if you took every attraction on property and played their queue videos simultaneously, you would see quite a strong relationship between each video's structure and inherent premise.
I also did not like the obvious 'homage' to Spider-Man (the last big hoorah, in the penultimate screen)...with Spider-Man right next door, this effect seemed gimmicky and repetitive rather than thrilling, at least to me anyway.
Also, though the pacing of Transformers is totally amazing, I like the structure of the Spider-Man ride a bit better, with the slower build-up and intimate encounter with each villain one by one before the final 'act'. In Transformers there are no acts and no character development so to speak--right from the get go it's crazy. While this makes for one super exciting ride, it sort of lessens the impact of the actual ride 'story'. But you don't ride this ride for a good story, you ride it to kick some Decepticon :censored: and do it cray!

Really, those are the only negatives I can think of and they're stretches. The queue line was very well-done IMO, and something I noticed was how the videos in the queue outlasted the amount of time we spent in each room, meaning you don't see anything in the videos repeated (it's sort of the antithesis to HRRR). Since the story is very simple, it's not like you're missing out on anything by not seeing a full video cycle in each room, but rather you're not getting bored with the same thing being repeated over and over again (this may change, however, when Express is implemented). Other than that, the queue was more or less what you've seen in the pictures, and it's pretty convincing and aesthetically pleasing.

Now to address concerns that have been brought up throughout this thread (yes, I've read every single page since it was started). NO, it is not repetitive to have this ride with Spidey right next door--they are two completely different experiences, similar to how Pirates of the Caribbean and It's A Small World are completely different experiences despite both being boat rides.
Also, the indoor queue holds much more than 17 minutes of queue--I would guess you can fit a good half-hours' worth of people in there, maybe more, and when Express starts getting integrated, there will definitely be quite a bit of indoor time. Is it the bulk of the queue? No, but it's comparable to the amount of indoor queue for Spider-Man.
From the entrance we were led through, you could see Optimus Prime under wraps--he is huge. Bigger than I thought. We are in for quite a treat when it's put up later.
I remember some conversation about the use of liquid nitrogen in place of fire effects, but don't worry, the nitrogen is used very well, and when it's substituting for fire, it's done not only in a very thrilling way, but also in a way that makes you glad it's nitrogen and not fire (in that it's very 'immersive' :p)
As for the elevators, I personally could tell when they were being used but that's because I knew they were coming and was paying attention--they're still hard to catch, and it's amazing that they pull it off the way they do!
Those are most of the concerns I remember being brought up but if anyone has anymore questions just fire away! I'd love to use my only bit of knowledge I've ever had :lol:

All in all, I'm very glad I went tonight and I'm super excited that Transformers is here to stay at USF. It is a great addition, and by far the best ride in the park (we rode The Mummy afterward, and sorry to say, it was not quite as great to me as Transformers). Make sure you guys check it out, and if the past is any indication, there is a very very good chance public softs will be held this week in the late afternoons of each day. Good luck!!!

Reactions: Cwoolboy and Felipe
Great reviews guys!

Shameless plug from my top ten dark rides :lol:

# 2 Transformers the Ride

TRANSFORMERSTheRide.jpg

Immediately after I saw Transformers in the movie theater I knew it had the possibility of making one amazing attraction. I mean how could one not think the same? It was a special effects dream come true! So when Universal Studios announced the ride was coming to Singapore and Hollywood I was pumped! And to know the ride was going to be based off of the same tech as Spiderman, arguably the greatest dark ride ever, I mean come on. So last month I finally got a chance to take a few spins on this mega attraction and it blew me away. While their are several gag effects that carry over from Spiderman, its takes all things learned from Spiderman and builds on them drastically. The one thing that I loved about this attraction was the urgency, pacing, and overall chaos you experienced from the moment you enter to the moment you leave. Its literally a massive battle playing out in front of your face for 5 minutes non stop. On top of that this ride has a much more out of control feeling. Their were times where you felt the ride vehicle was truly going 60 MPH due to the amazing 4kHD Screen resolution and graphics as well as awesome pacing and simulation effects.

In my opinion Spider-Man and Transformers are different enough that they can each exist without it being repetitive. Transformers is more of a chase that suddenly goes from screen to screen compared to Spider-Man's one-on-one lengthy encounters that feature a bit more dialogue. Transformers is a constant battle that moves wildly and it seems to go on for quite a while. They just keep throwing more and more stuff at you which leads to the major conclusion of the ride. Overall an amazing ride. My biggest problem is the lack of a score, but that can easily be forgiven because what we have is beyond extraordinary.

I'm going to annoy Felipe because I haven't spoken to him in a while, but here's the most I've been able to write about anything in that time frame. :lol:

Like I said on Twitter, I rated it the following:

Overall: 95/100
Queue: 90/100
Ride: 98/100

As you can see, I'm very pleased with the attraction. All six times that I rode held an almost imponderable sense of elation. After every ride, I was cheshired. Apart from all the design, the biggest highlight for me were some of the Team Members. They were ecstatic, encouraging, and as well-themed as the show around them. They weren't the stars, of course, but they were probably the best supporting roles since the WWoHP's and Mummy's opening teams. One relatively older woman was a very comically in-theme safety spiel announcer, with one hit line going somewhat like, "It's hectic out there, and I'm too young to die!" The rest of the team supported the story heavily, and they should definitely get the first word of commendation.

The queue, of course, must start with the exterior, which has the right intention, but the execution could have been so much better. There are architectural elements that accent the structure more or less, but at face value in some angles, it just doesn't work. The best angle, however, is from the entrance, and with Optimus standing there, it's going to definitely bring more to the visuals and make him the much-needed icon of the attraction. The exterior is probably the part that hurt the score I gave it the most, but it still got an A- because of everything that happens inside. While it is relatively brief, it is a palpably impressive queue. It serves as a good 30 minute ongoing pre-show, and the buttons and videos offer a lot of interesting details and aspects. The details and buttons also add a lot of visual buffer, but its climax scene - the Allspark - is just absolutely gorgeous. The pulsating bass, lighting effects, and audible glitching theatrically grants it the power it merits in the films. Though it is a very grand queue, it's going to be interesting to see it on opening day (or maybe even on its soft opening days) because it only holds about a half-hour's worth of recruits. I, however, would easily way four hours to ride it, which leads me to the actual ride.

From the beginning, you're hit with a highly impressive shot at Ravage stealing the Allspark after the security-brief message, and the ride just kicks off hard from there. As always, the POVs can never compare to the grandeur of the actual attraction. This is an action film condensed into four minutes without any cheesy Hollywood romance from Michael Bay. This is 100% intensity throughout, and the well-synced ride movements follow suit. In multiple scenes, there are a plethora of details and effects that would not be the same if the vehicles were not so jerky (or smooth, depending). The bass underneath you rumbles with each hit and every battle cry from Megatron. The jerks from the vehicles perfectly capture EVAC's every hit and slam. I want to say that it's similar to Spider-Man, but it's not. It's actually better, and I thought Spider-Man's movements could not be topped. And the VTU scenes are just so acutely well-designed that they almost seem too good to be true. On one of my later rides, I watched us rise, but I didn't even feel it then. And then, I looked up sharply in front of us, and there was the top of the silo. I didn't even think I would like the slow-motion scenes, but in person, they changed my mind. There is only one flawed scene, and that is the "we're trapped" part. The movements are kind of noticeably overdone to compensate for the lack of action, but the explosions pick right up afterwards, and continue throughout, leading to an almost exhausting battle's conclusion.

Overall, the ride gets a very good score. It's definitely taken E.T.'s place as my number one attraction within USF (comment negatively on it, I dare you), and I thought it wouldn't even scrape at its reign. It's just a damn good ride suffering slightly from its facade, but it's fully themed, so I'm not going to pretend like Universal didn't at least try a little (NOT like the mess in Hollywood). It has earned its score of 95/100 from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cwoolboy and Felipe
These reviews are pumping me up for my trip in August. Quick question: I rode the hollywood version and there was one moment where you look up and there's a noticeably flat mural of a new york city skyline instead of a set. Is that present in this incarnation as well?

yes, but I thought it was well-done...had some good lighting and dimensionality to it, and I found it to be a nice touch. It was really just between two pillars meant to be a parking garage structure, not just a poor mural slapped on a wall.

Reading these reviews has definitely made me more excited for this ride again. I was starting to think it was going to be another Spider Man and nothing too special. But hearing that it's noticeably different and 5 minutes of complete madness. I'm more excited now than I was when I first heard about the ride coming to Universal Orlando.