Employment Question | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Employment Question

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Make sure that neither employment agreement includes a non-competitive agreement. IDK, but I would assume that both would have it in there somewhere.

I don't think it's considered a conflict of interest unless you are in the same department within each company, and even then it might only matter with certain departments. Obviously you can't do Market Research with Universal and Disney, but I'm sure you can be in Entertainment for both and it be a non-issue. I know a ridiculous amount of people who work for both companies and it's not an issue.

The best reason someone wouldn't hire someone is lack of experience and not exuding confidence. Theme parks are a high capacity place where you need to be social and interactive. If you can't do that with the interviewer than it's going to hinder their ability to think you can do that within the resort. If you have a resume with experience bring it, it'll boost your chances.

I don't think it's considered a conflict of interest unless you are in the same department within each company, and even then it might only matter with certain departments. Obviously you can't do Market Research with Universal and Disney, but I'm sure you can be in Entertainment for both and it be a non-issue. I know a ridiculous amount of people who work for both companies and it's not an issue.

The best reason someone wouldn't hire someone is lack of experience and not exuding confidence. Theme parks are a high capacity place where you need to be social and interactive. If you can't do that with the interviewer than it's going to hinder their ability to think you can do that within the resort. If you have a resume with experience bring it, it'll boost your chances.

I did an interview and I was a little nervous. But I thought I did well for the most part and I didn't get hired =/

I really don't know the seasonal requirements. Wish I did. I'm guessing their main concern is that you're free for the few months following your application.

Maybe you would know, or anyone else on here, what are Universal's requirements for seasonal?

When I ended my seasonal employment in '07, they were requiring full availability between Christmas and NY and two weekends a month during the summer. Don't know if that was my location and/or position or if it was UO policy, though. I had been a FT ee for almost 6 years when I left in '05, and they then created a new seasonal position that didn't previously exist just to get me back.

Oh okay. They would prob just do it with the higher ups too then. I guess if your not in the know they are not too worried about it lol. But I was assuming as a lot of companies that do not even need it at all through it in now.

I honestly was shocked and let down when I wasn't hired.

It could have had nothing do do with you, for example they may have hired enough people for what your applying that day. You can try again after giving it some time, possibly other positions too.

Ok, so a friend of mine got an interview at the park next week for an attractions attendant position but she failed to realize that they drug test for those jobs that deal with guest safety. Can she contact the park and somehow get an interview for a different position where they don't drug test? Any info is much appreciated!

Ok, so a friend of mine got an interview at the park next week for an attractions attendant position but she failed to realize that they drug test for those jobs that deal with guest safety. Can she contact the park and somehow get an interview for a different position where they don't drug test? Any info is much appreciated!

Almost all jobs dealing with the corporate world at this level are going to require drug tests. You might want to tell your friend to just stop doing drugs if she wants to get hired. (And calling Uni to ask for a position that "doesn't drug test" is likely just going to get her axed altogether.)

Pretty sure they don't drug test. Would be way too expensive on their part.

You would be surprised. Many large corporations do drug tests these days on all their employees. Especially is something related to guests because they would rather spend the money upfront on the test than later on have an issue with an employee who is high on drugs and could potentially put customers/guests in danger. It would cost them much more later on dealing with a situation like that.

When I got hired by Uni, I didn't get tested. However, I was rushed in as a late scareactor addition last year and there wasn't much time so I don't know if they do for regular positions.

Any other position besides attractions, shouldn't have a drug test.

Apply for the entertainment department. If they drug tested them, they'd have nobody left! ;-)

See, that's what I did. I applied for HHN and what you said was literally told to me, word-for-word, on orientation day. It makes sense, too. Everyone in Entertainment, at least the people I met, smoked.

Regardless, does anyone know HOW/IF my friend can switch to a different role before she goes in for an interview? Should she cancel it altogether?

On the topic of employment, does anyone know if Uni gave TMs with greater experience the option to work at Transformers? A lot of the employees there I recognize from other rides in the park, and they are also older.

When you work in a theme park you often forget you are in a theme park. It could be worse than a "grocery store job". Being outside in the heat, dealing with angry guests that have complaints that have nothing to do with you, having co-workers you don't like, it can get old fast.

Ummm, that's Publix also. lol, Especailly when your a bag boy and have to pick up hundreds of carts a day. Deal with customers who tell you that you don't know how to bag. I've been told by a male customer to go back to school. Honestly, nearly every job sucks if you don't have an education so continue with your school and get what you can. Life sucks

Last edited: