Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grand Theft Auto 5

Oh it certainly does. Call of Duty, especially. But you asked what others wanted, and I stated what I wanted. I realize it sounded harsh -- and it was -- but I still stand by it. Sandbox games are one of my least favorite genres because they all feel so amazingly unnecessarily huge. Especially when it's set in a city.
You are entitled to your own opinion, and I wasn't arguing against it. Its fine if you don't like a specific kind of genre for a game, your earlier post basically said "Its sucks" without really explaining your clear thoughts for it, and that's why I reacted a bit negative against it. Now that you explained that the main basic reason why you don't games was that it just wasn't your favorite genre, well than now that is a LOT more reasonable than what you were saying earlier.

Anyways, I think I'm just gonna leave this thread alone for a while until whenever Rockstar decides to release the next trailer/batch of info, my guess that it would probably be during or shortly before E3.

Last edited:
GTA0.jpg

GTA1.png

GTA2.png

GTA3.png

GTA4.png

GTA5.png

GTA6.png

GTA7.png

GTA8.png

GTA9.png

GTA10.png

GTA11.png

GTA12.png

GTA13.png

GTA14.png

GTA15.png

GTA16.png

GTA17.png

GTA18.png

For those who are lazy, some highlighted new details about the game that are mentioned in the article:

-GTA V “evolves nearly every mechanic, features the biggest world in series history and introduces a new technology that radically changes the way players control the game”.

-Most of the gameplay mechanics have been built from the ground up. Cars hold better to the ground than GTA IV and feel more like a racing game. Shooting has also evolved “a long way” in terms of feel and mechanics. Melee is improved, “it’s never going to be as big a deal as shooting, but we want to make it feel really fun and strong”.

-The player controls three main protagonists, Michael, Trevor and Franklin. Each with a fleshed out story arc and skillset.

-Michael is retired, early 40s, a highly successful former bank robber. Retired in luxury after making a deal with the FIB in the witness protection program, he hates his wife who spends his money and hates him back, doesn’t understand his two teenage kids Tracy and Jimmy, and is forced back into the game as his money is about to run out. He’s also the narrator of the first GTA V trailer released last year.

-Trevor is a career criminal, early 40s, drug user governed by his desires, prone to violent outbursts and destructive rampages, a loose cannon, former military pilot, used to work a bank jobs with Michael back in the day, always up for a heist. Lives in Blaine County, a barren rundown desert region filled with bikers, meth heads and other people from the fringes of society. Trevor is described as having a “maniacal personality”.

-Franklin, repo man, mid 20s, a young and ambitious hustler, works for an Armenian luxury car dealership that sells cars to those who can’t afford them, when they can’t pay up he plays repo man. He stumbles into Michael while looking for a hustle. Franklin isn’t too comfortable with Trevor.

-A quick menu can be called up to switch characters, the camera pulls away into a Google Earth-style vantage point and then drops into wherever the chosen character is. They go about their daily business when you’re not in control, so you might find them in surprising situations when you take control of them again.

-Characters can “flick off” people and react differently depending on the area. In a rough-and-tumble neighborhood, the reaction will be different from someone in a posh boutique store.

-Bicycles, planes, and jets are back.

-A variety of side missions and “more sophisticated” minigames, including yoga, triathlons, Jet Skiing, base-jumping, bowling, tennis and golf. There’s a full golf course in the game. You can go scuba diving along the coastline of Los Santos, or go to the gym on the seafront.

-The RPG-level character customization from GTA: San Andreas (being fat, skinny, or muscular) won’t be present due to Rockstar finding the mechanic difficult to pull off with the game’s animation and engine presets, clothing customization is expanded from GTA IV however.

-Dating will also not be present, but will return in future titles. Hanging out with friends will still be there.

-Complicated, multitiered heist missions inspired by GTA IV’s “Three Leaf Clover” are peppered into the game, which are a big theme.

-Rockstar is addressing mission diversity in pairing characters, in a demo they show off a mission involving all three characters, in which the trio need to perform a snatch-and-grab to get the FIB off their backs. The three change outfits and rappel down the side of a skyscraper, when they arrive players take control of Michael rappelling down, the mechanic is reminiscent of Rainbow Six Vegas. An icon will appear from time to time giving the player the option to switch between characters.

-Rockstar is leveraging cinematic tricks learned from Max Payne 3.

-Rockstar claims that GTA V is its strongest plotted game yet.

-Rockstar chose to recreate one large city over three small ones from GTA: SA to create the best possible and proper version of Los Angeles to ever be presented in a game. Sam Houser and lead artist Aaron Garbut were both really interested in doing a proper LA, which Rockstar felt it didn’t do with GTA: SA.

-Areas in the game world include beachfronts, mountains, countrysides, a “Salton Sea” region, a military base and suburbs.

-The ocean floor is fully detailed and can be explored.

-The game world is described as “the largest open-world playground in Rockstar history, bigger than Red Dead Redemption, GTA: SA, and GTA IV combined.”

Also, a new trailer (finally) will be released on Wednesday, November 14.

Last edited:
I kind of like a huge game that doesn't have some dude in trouble on every corner. Makes it feel more real. I love Skyrim as well, but they do what they do best, and Rockstar does what they do best. Really makes you feel like you're just a person in this huge world making a difference in your own life, and not saving the entire world.

I was a little hesitant before the gameplay trailer yesterday, but having watched that 3 times now Rockstar have my money.

The multiple character involvement during missions looks insane. Can't wait to try that out. And I'm glad they finally made water environments fully discoverable with the diving equipment. The scale of Los Santos looks pretty breathtaking

It does look like a lot of fun. I'm pretty excited. I'll probably pull my typical route and wait at least 6 months after it comes out though. I know it's not the first game to use the camera switching between characters but it does look stunning on it and the fact that they are truly making this big of a video game is nothing short of mind boggling. Should be a lot of fun to play.

Holy hell. Looks amazing. I have a feeling I'll be using the PS3 quite often this fall with this and Arkham Origins coming out.

Wanna get this, but I'm afraid of spending 60 bucks and wind up not playing it. For some reason I get video games, but never fully play them. I got The Last of Us, played it a little bit, but never got around to keep playing. Was thinking of just trading it in and just putting it towards this. Plus with Arkham Origina coming out next month who knows if I'll ever get back to it. Ill see what the reviews are like to really decide

Wanna get this, but I'm afraid of spending 60 bucks and wind up not playing it. For some reason I get video games, but never fully play them. I got The Last of Us, played it a little bit, but never got around to keep playing. Was thinking of just trading it in and just putting it towards this. Plus with Arkham Origina coming out next month who knows if I'll ever get back to it. Ill see what the reviews are like to really decide

I'll save you some time, IGN and most other places will give it a 10/10.

Ah I am so excited. Thanks for everyone's updates! Who else is getting this tonight?