The Old KidZone Thread | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old KidZone Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite some corny moments toward the end and some horrible "police" figures during the ride, E.T. is one of the best rides in the park to me. It has a very convincing forest atmosphere, a ride system unlike any other, its closest comparison being Peter Pan, but its leaps and bounds above that.

It's one of the more kid-friendly rides in the park, the first half of the ride is a solid one and I really don't think we'll see Universal make a ride like that one again, though I hope I'm wrong.

I took some time out of my last visit to ride this again and really pay note to some critical details.

I love the queue. One of the very few things that I enjoy about this ride, it's amazingly themed and one of my favorites.

I love the smell. You know what Im talking about :lol:

I love being able to sit down.

Pretty much those are the only things I love about this ride and I loved the movie. The thing is, after you get out of the city scene you come into bright lights (on the planet) and EVERYTHING about the ride that should be "behind scenes" is revealed. Most prominently is the track. Completely destroys the "illusion". The AA's are horrible, every single one of em. The story is good but the execution is just beyond lackluster. Details of some of the scenes are incredible but other than that this ride has nothing going for me.

In the end, Ive said this before, nostalgia doesn't bring in the big bucks. This building could and should be used for something so much greater.

- - - Updated - - -

With a park populated with the now, there's room for 1 area of nostalgia.

I really dont mind nostalgia, at all. I'm a big fan of nostalgia honestly but for some reason this ride just doesn't cut anything for me.

If Universal was going to build another audio-animatronic dark ride spectacular for the whole family based on one of its timeless properties, I wouldn't have as much of an issue losing ET. Sadly, I don't really trust them to do that, so I'd prefer ET to stay. The park needs some heart - ET provides it. It's a fantastically executed dark ride by any measure, it just needs some updating.

Yes, I certainly do need to clarify that when I mean something bigger and greater I want an audio animatronic dark ride for the entire family. Definitely not a screen based simulator of the likes.

Does nostalgia honestly drive tourist numbers? I mean for theme park peeps like us we represent the minority of the bunch and of course we have nostalgia for these things because we have that strange attraction :lol: but when a tourist thinks Universal, do they think ET?

Not as much as before. ET is one of those rides that only gets long lines due to bad capacity and constant ride mechanical issues. If it does indeed get a MAJOR refurb, I'll give it a chance but in its current state I'd rather see something better.

Does nostalgia honestly drive tourist numbers? I mean for theme park peeps like us we represent the minority of the bunch and of course we have nostalgia for these things because we have that strange attraction :lol: but when a tourist thinks Universal, do they think ET?

Not as much as before. ET is one of those rides that only gets long lines due to bad capacity and constant ride mechanical issues. If it does indeed get a MAJOR refurb, I'll give it a chance but in its current state I'd rather see something better.
I have one word for the bold part. DISNEY

As for the rest I would say that it ET does have the nostalgia, it is a classic film so when people see it they become attracted to it just as people are with jurassic park and is one of the things they remember from past visits. Also for those who visited the park in the early years ET is about the only thing left to remember the old days. However none of this is on Disney's scale which basically is running their whole resort.

As for the rest I would say that it ET does have the nostalgia, it is a classic film so when people see it they become attracted to it just as people are with jurassic park and is one of the things they remember from past visits. Also for those who visited the park in the early years ET is about the only thing left to remember the old days. However none of this is on Disney's scale which basically is running their whole resort.

touche :lol:

We're twice a year tourists that drop apx. $9,000 a yr. in Orlando. And guess what is the first and last attraction that we ride at Universal? It's ET, and like Splash Mountain, it puts a constant smile on our faces, and isn't that what makes a happy vacation. The queue is so good, especially it's Redwood scent, that we often forgo our hotel express so we can enjoy the queue. When we ride ET for the last ride of our Universal vacation, my GF tears up knowing we won't experience ET until the next trip. Of course I can't speak for other tourists, but for us, ET is a true classic and one of the most important attractions during our vacation. Of course, we would like to see a refurbishment, but that would only be an added plus.

I guess you can throw my name in the hat of the majority; I too love E.T.! As many have said, having one nostalgic attraction won't ruin Universal's trendy reputation. With that said, I thought Kong and Jaws were also untouchable, nostalgic classics, and we know where they went. I sincerely hope E.T. stays put, but I have a bad feeling Uni has it the cutting board. Only time will tell.

If Universal was going to build another audio-animatronic dark ride spectacular for the whole family based on one of its timeless properties, I wouldn't have as much of an issue losing ET. Sadly, I don't really trust them to do that, so I'd prefer ET to stay. The park needs some heart - ET provides it. It's a fantastically executed dark ride by any measure, it just needs some updating.

You got it! I Like E.T. Adventure to stay at Universal Orlando

Touche, How about if Disney gets The Smurfs, Not Universal

Guys what if they did the kid zone into willy wonk area, demolish animal actors stage and build a new ride there ,then move the animal actors show to the toon lagoon theater.And then change the lost continent to a kid zone!

The more and more I think about, the more and more I would like to see the Animal Actors stage torn down. I was checking some satellite photos, and you could literally fit in another E.T. sized building if you took it out along with its backstage areas. Lots of potential to do all sorts of things with that kind of space.

The more and more I think about, the more and more I would like to see the Animal Actors stage torn down. I was checking some satellite photos, and you could literally fit in another E.T. sized building if you took it out along with its backstage areas. Lots of potential to do all sorts of things with that kind of space.

I've never watched the show and I'm an AP holder. I won't shed a single tear if they decide to take that building down.

Status
Not open for further replies.