Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Reviews & Photos

Aug 17, 2009
Post your event photos and reviews here!

Please keep all posts limited to reviews and photos.

Sounds like all the houses are being received fairly well except for HAVOC: Derailed. Wouldn't have guessed that.

I also haven't heard anything about Afterlife...

Sounds like all the houses are being received fairly well except for HAVOC: Derailed. Wouldn't have guessed that.

Our tweeter said this about HAVOC: "Not surprisingly, intense house." :shrug: Should be interesting to see some more panned out reviews.

This is all I've seen for Afterlife: "Afterlife... Fun house!" :lol:

Everyone needs to realize this was a technical rehearsal. The first night actors actually get a chance to start scaring and get comfortable with their role. Also alot of the houses tonight didn't even have all their audio visual equipment working.

I enjoyed Afterlife, because I had zero expectations for anything good. The 3D effects are great, some terrific set design, and a lot of stuff from The In-Between is there. Not the best house, for sure, but I liked it.

Is it just me, or does the recycling from old houses seem more brazen than in previous years? Yeah, they've reused set pieces and props, but it sounds like a lot of La Llorona comes from Forsaken & Catacombs, while Afterlife draws a lot from In-Between...

Glad the response to the EP was as positive as it was. The streets still sound like a bore to me, but good to hear the houses should be great.

Is it just me, or does the recycling from old houses seem more brazen than in previous years? Yeah, they've reused set pieces and props, but it sounds like a lot of La Llorona comes from Forsaken & Catacombs, while Afterlife draws a lot from In-Between...

Well the In-Between repackaging was a given. Not necessarily a bad thing.. but it's pretty much the same concept, just more "brutal". I'm a big fan of In-Between so I'm totally okay with that.

The houses I think will be better by Oct. 5th when I go, but what I personally haven't seen is Bill and Ted news. Anybody know if its any good this year? Huge fan of the show and the Original Movie. Bogus Journey was meh to me.

Well the In-Between repackaging was a given. Not necessarily a bad thing.. but it's pretty much the same concept, just more "brutal". I'm a big fan of In-Between so I'm totally okay with that.

I'm just having a hard time envisioning what people mean when they say "oh yeah this is In-Between" and whatnot. Like... reused props and even set pieces is fine, but reusing entire scenes/concepts is kind of weak. Here's hoping, I too loved In-Between.

After a long 24 hours, all I want to say is that you will NOT be disappointed by AWiL - totally worth any wait you see it assigned. I will post my review tomorrow after I visit my last two houses.

HAVOC was great! The reason there were a lot of negative chatter is because they used it to practice fire drills during the preview. Some people got dumped from the house halfway through and others had to wait in line a little longer. But it's a good thing they practice these sort of things just in case.

Revised expectations list based on stuff from previews & chatter:

1) American Werewolf in London
2) Cabin in the Woods
3) Evil Dead
4) La Llorona
5) Afterlife
6) HAVOC: Derailed
7) The Walking Dead
8) Resident Evil

Revised expectations list based on stuff from previews & chatter:

1) American Werewolf in London
2) Cabin in the Woods
3) Evil Dead
4) La Llorona
5) Afterlife
6) HAVOC: Derailed
7) The Walking Dead
8) Resident Evil

I'd go:

1)AWIL
2)Cabin
3)La Llorona
4)Afterlife
5)Evil Dead
6)Havoc
7)Resident Evil
8)Walking Dead

Even if Resident Evil isn't technically as good as Walking Dead, it's infinitely more interesting for me

I'd go:

1)AWIL
2)Cabin
3)La Llorona
4)Afterlife
5)Evil Dead
6)Havoc
7)Resident Evil
8)Walking Dead

Even if Resident Evil isn't technically as good as Walking Dead, it's infinitely more interesting for me

Fair point on Resident Evil. I at least mildly enjoy Walking Dead (as a television series), but I never got into the RE series... and I've just heard a lot of disappointing things about the house (length, abundance of generic zombies) to quell any excitement I did have. I guess we'll see.

I'm hearing a lot of stuff was missing from RE the other night. Hoping that's true.

Hoping so as well - I know there's supposed to be at least a couple puppets/animatronics (like a Licker), so those'll be cool. The overabundance of zombies is annoying but not entirely unexpected since they're cheap to costume. Silent Hill taught me last year that I prefer more claustrophobic houses versus ones with big wide open spaces the entire time (one or two big "wow" sets is cool, though, i.e. Forsaken), but I'm still down to give it a chance... just obviously don't have big expectations.

Does anyone have any tips for Photography of HHN? I didn't want to bring my camera to the Team Member Preview (Didn't know you could take pictures).

This year I have an all new 50mm f/1.8 Lens on my Sony DSLR A-33. Does anyone have any shooting tips with that setup tonight?