Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 107 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a supporter of this land, much moreso than most since it was announced. But it's funny. It's like DAK's version of The Land Pavilion. Flying ride, Boat ride, merch and likely sit down and counter service options as well. Am I off-base in this comparison? The similarities seem very apparent to me.
Good call

My family and I spend a lot of time at the Disney parks.... more so than Universal... I love the parks BUT it's very frustrating that all they have done lately is take rides away and replace them with M&G and themed bathrooms. I don't go to the bathroom for its theme... it's a necessity. Put that $$ into upgrading/improving attractions.

After going to CA and experiencing their attractions, it saddens me to ride some of the rides at WDW (looking at you PP).

While it's great that AK is getting some much needed love...why must we wait 4 years to get it??? They can do better but don't feel it necessary because they are "kings of the theme parks" ... well they finally have competition and the people are taking notice. So Disney needs to take notice and step up to the plate.

In the end, it's a win win for the fans... hopefully

Looking at another site yesterday, I came across a reference to a new ride system by Vekoma called "Pandora's Box". Interesting coincidence? The concept is that a row of seats is mounted to a floor to ceiling pole that can be many stories in height, and the row of seats can go up and down the pole, spin around it horizontally, and also rotate the row to invert the riders. But what truly makes it interesting is that the poles themselves can be mounted on a track such that the entire thing moves through a ride building. There is a blurb about it on the Vekoma web site, but the more interesting item is a You Tube simulation video.

So I started to imagine the sensation of mounting a "banshee" and having it fly off the edge of a cliff going down several stories in between floating islands and rising back up through them. You travel throughout Pandora, taking advantage of the gorgeous scenic vistas. Then, coming upon the invasion force of aircraft below you, you swoop down in between them into a dogfight sequence. This has real potential as an E-ticket experience.

I have no clue if this is what Disney is bouncing around. The earlier leaked artwork definitely did not show the flight simulator on a moving track. But after RSR in California, it's clear that if Disney wants to go "all in", they are still capable of creating great E-ticket attractions. This concept is definitely worth a look and the inevitable discussion afterwards.

One thing's for sure - if Disney doesn't use this, I sure hope Universal comes up with a way to do so.

Will people still care about Avatar by 2017? I think few people care about it now. I guess the film sequels will help build that franchise, I just don't expect the other films to do nearly as well as that first one. Unless Cameron invents some other new way to experience his movie.

The concept art and model look amazing. I really hope WDI can really pull this off. Or more to the point, I hope TDO let's WDI pull this one off. If they do, this will be the most impressive project Disney has pulled off Stateside EVER!

DisneyParksBlog_pumpkin_logo2.png

AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Will Transport, Transform Guests

Over the weekend, Tom Staggs wowed the crowd at the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan with an early glimpse of what’s planned for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. He shared some breathtaking concept renderings of floating mountains, bioluminescent plants and other awe-inspiring experiences guests will encounter in the mythical world of Pandora.
Also at the D23 Expo Japan, Tom shared video of filmmaker James Cameron and Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde highlighting the creative work already underway on the project. Joe said when the AVATAR-inspired land is completed, it’ll be a transformational experience that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Today, we wanted to share the entire video with Disney Parks Blog readers.

[video=youtube;j3fkuaQNGHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3fkuaQNGHI&feature=em-uploademail[/video]​

James Cameron and Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde highlight the creative work underway on the AVATAR-inspired land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom. Joe said when the AVATAR-inspired land is completed, it'll be a transformational experience that you'll remember for the rest of your life. Read more on the Disney Parks Blog: http://bit.ly/1ay1JQx

looks like they really want Animal Kingdom to be a full day park, which is probably what is driving part of this expansion. If this land is popular, it will not only make park attendance rise, but it will also increase guest spending and improve overall profibility of the park due to the later hours.

Looking at another site yesterday, I came across a reference to a new ride system by Vekoma called "Pandora's Box". Interesting coincidence? The concept is that a row of seats is mounted to a floor to ceiling pole that can be many stories in height, and the row of seats can go up and down the pole, spin around it horizontally, and also rotate the row to invert the riders. But what truly makes it interesting is that the poles themselves can be mounted on a track such that the entire thing moves through a ride building. There is a blurb about it on the Vekoma web site, but the more interesting item is a You Tube simulation video.

So I started to imagine the sensation of mounting a "banshee" and having it fly off the edge of a cliff going down several stories in between floating islands and rising back up through them. You travel throughout Pandora, taking advantage of the gorgeous scenic vistas. Then, coming upon the invasion force of aircraft below you, you swoop down in between them into a dogfight sequence. This has real potential as an E-ticket experience.

I have no clue if this is what Disney is bouncing around. The earlier leaked artwork definitely did not show the flight simulator on a moving track. But after RSR in California, it's clear that if Disney wants to go "all in", they are still capable of creating great E-ticket attractions. This concept is definitely worth a look and the inevitable discussion afterwards.

One thing's for sure - if Disney doesn't use this, I sure hope Universal comes up with a way to do so.

The Pandora's Box video has been floating around on here for a few years. Most forum users are well aware of it (we're actually talking about it over in the Iron Man Experience thread :lol:). The question is whether or not Disney is implementing it here. Rumors are starting to pick up that it is, but I haven't heard anything concrete on that.

If they were using, then my interest in the project would pick up tenfold.

Wow, that video got me really excited. The boat ride especially looks incredible! The only bad part is having to wait until 2017.

Disney is being way too cautious in my book.
By taking this long and making sure everything is a go before even breaking ground.
Yes Universal has had some new tech problem with rides.(and fixed most of them HRRR still ?)
But you have to remember Disney fired execs (vacation villa's)
So the exec's at Disney are not about to go out on a limb and risk their paycheck
For anything when the park is busy and making money.

The Mymagic bands make me think someone @ Disney has been playing Roller Coaster Tycoon and want to be able to see everything by putting their cursor over a park guest and know where they have been, where they are, where they are going next,where they are eating,ect.

All the talk about the land having innovative new technology makes me a little less nervous that this will be "Soarin 2.0" and a shoddy boat ride.

Oh well. I guess we will find out eventually.

All the talk about the land having innovative new technology makes me a little less nervous that this will be "Soarin 2.0" and a shoddy boat ride.

Well... it is sort of going to be Soarin 2.0 (although i've heard the jump from Soarin to this ride system is going to be a new and as they said, much more innovative system for today)

The concept art looks beautiful. The boat ride looks breathtaking. This is so obviously going to be a winner, no doubt about it. We just have to wait until 2017 to see it. In the meantime, poor DAK will have to rest on its laurels for yet another few years.

Did anyone notice the end of the video with the creators watching rough simulator footage and playing with fiber-optic/luminescent effects? It looks cool. I just can't believe this was announced before Diagon Alley and will open 3 years after it. :laugh:

It'll be more advanced, but it'll still be a simulator. Also, never said the boat ride would be shoddy, but I'm not expecting it to be Pirates.

El Rio De tempo meets Empire of The Penuin in terms of lighting, modest sets and a dark boat ride.

I'm here for that. I've been hoping for Universal to add a relaxing boat ride. Something I can get on after stuffing my face at Mythos or Springfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.