Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Farewell Monsters Cafe?

Starting to hear rumbles of this again, and themeparkinsite posted they have heard it as well. I'm thinking we see a Transformers themed counter service restaurant with Energon finally making it here. The spinning monster thing out front caddy corner from Twister would be rethemed to Optimus and Megatron battling up top and again serve Energon.

Thoughts?

It would be sad to lose the monsters statue, but it honestly makes sense and from what everyone says Energon is pretty good. They would be able to serve it both at the restaurant as well as the permanent beverage stands on both corners.

It would be nice if they are indeed doing the museum if they moved the monsters statue along with some of the classic props from inside over there and/or re-themed cafe la bamba to be something more historical. That area of the park is already pretty much history alley with Mel's, the train, delorean, ET, and everything else. I would even be ok if they moved Bruce over there too and made it all into a centralized themed area.

Starting to hear rumbles of this again, and themeparkinsite posted they have heard it as well. I'm thinking we see a Transformers themed counter service restaurant with Energon finally making it here. The spinning monster thing out front caddy corner from Twister would be rethemed to Optimus and Megatron battling up top and again serve Energon.

Thoughts?
I wonder what types of foods they could serve at Transformers restaurant...Hmmmmm
P.S. Thanks for the little plug to the site :) Glad we are all ok now.

Just bring in Energon and some Autobot Curly Fries and I'm very happy lol

I would hate to see the park get rid of the Monsters Cafe. It has always been my favorite restaurant in the park, and the Universal Monsters are so under represented. It's a shame the movies that almost single handedly kept Universal afloat during the Depression don't get the respect they deserve.

But, I suppose a Transformers themed restaurant would be more successful.

I've got it! Why don't they just bring Energon to USF, introduce it in the Monsters Cafe and call it Macabre! Monsters get to stay and we get the drink. Win and win.

-Andy

Not sure about the photo. It looks more like a Star Trek the next generation then Transformers theme. But the ride is popular and it would make sense to add a Transformers themed restaurant to the area.

Wouldn't it be cool if monsters got a new restaurant in CW? Maybe replace NBA and put up a facade that looks like a spooky mansion or something.

The only reason I don't see anything other than Transformers replacing Monsters is because it's a proven brand with huge in park buzz right now. Not to mention ask 100 people between the ages of 12 and 35 what Energon is and I'd say most of them would instantly affiliate the word with Transformers or at least much more so than any other movie tie ins. Then the easier it is for the consumer to identify or relate to the movie item the better chances of selling the said item to passing guests at 7 bucks a piece.

Think about it this way, you come back from a vacation at Universal and your telling a group of friends about your trip with enthusiasm.

Option 1 Random Slushy
Transformers the Ride was amazing, easily the best ride there! After the ride the entire family got our picture taken with Optimus Prime and Megatron. Guys these things were unbelievable, easily like 10ft tall and they moved around and talked to you. There isn't anything like them and my kids were just loving all of it. While they finishing getting pictures I grabbed this orange slushy and a brownie thing from the restaurant close bye, it was really good. You guys gotta go!

Friends reply
Oh man that sounds amazing, can't wait to go!

Option 2
Transformers the Ride was amazing, easily the best ride there! After the ride the entire family got our picture taken with Optimus Prime and Megatron. Guys these things were unbelievable, easily like 10ft tall and they moved around and talked to you. There isn't anything like them and my kids were just loving all of it. While they were finishing getting pictures I grabbed Energon it's like a Slushy and a Cube which was a brownie. It was awesome!

Friends Response
Oh man that sounds amazing I can't wait to go, I'll have to try that Energon.

Granted this is all speculation and everyone is different but I think most can at least see the point I'm trying to make about association with a known brand vs random stuff.

What about Despicable Me?

Monsters is right next to Transformers, so that makes too much sense. Despicable Me should get some sort of themed ice cream/treats shop or something but I'm not sure where. There is no real room for an expansion on that IP unless they want it in different area of the park. Which stinks because I would really love for a bigger minion presence than just one ride in a big ugly building.

As for Monsters being replaced, as long as it is with something Transformers themed then I'm good. I hope they don't totally abandon the classic monsters though and put something by Beetlejuice.

Monsters is right next to Transformers, so that makes too much sense. Despicable Me should get some sort of themed ice cream/treats shop or something but I'm not sure where. There is no real room for an expansion on that IP unless they want it in different area of the park. Which stinks because I would really love for a bigger minion presence than just one ride in a big ugly building.

As for Monsters being replaced, as long as it is with something Transformers themed then I'm good. I hope they don't totally abandon the classic monsters though and put something by Beetlejuice.

Sesame Street/Minion kidzone would be sweet

The only reason I don't see anything other than Transformers replacing Monsters is because it's a proven brand with huge in park buzz right now. Not to mention ask 100 people between the ages of 12 and 35 what Energon is and I'd say most of them would instantly affiliate the word with Transformers or at least much more so than any other movie tie ins. Then the easier it is for the consumer to identify or relate to the movie item the better chances of selling the said item to passing guests at 7 bucks a piece.

Think about it this way, you come back from a vacation at Universal and your telling a group of friends about your trip with enthusiasm.

Option 1 Random Slushy
Transformers the Ride was amazing, easily the best ride there! After the ride the entire family got our picture taken with Optimus Prime and Megatron. Guys these things were unbelievable, easily like 10ft tall and they moved around and talked to you. There isn't anything like them and my kids were just loving all of it. While they finishing getting pictures I grabbed this orange slushy and a brownie thing from the restaurant close bye, it was really good. You guys gotta go!

Friends reply
Oh man that sounds amazing, can't wait to go!

Option 2
Transformers the Ride was amazing, easily the best ride there! After the ride the entire family got our picture taken with Optimus Prime and Megatron. Guys these things were unbelievable, easily like 10ft tall and they moved around and talked to you. There isn't anything like them and my kids were just loving all of it. While they were finishing getting pictures I grabbed Energon it's like a Slushy and a Cube which was a brownie. It was awesome!

Friends Response
Oh man that sounds amazing I can't wait to go, I'll have to try that Energon.

Granted this is all speculation and everyone is different but I think most can at least see the point I'm trying to make about association with a known brand vs random stuff.

Bingo. Transformers sells and Classic Monsters don't. As of now, Monster's is less a destination and more just a place for passerby to say "what the hell, let's eat here". I'd be willing to bet that Monster's Cafe's sales have dipped noticeably this year (when compared to previous peak times that it was open) due to Springfield. After seeing the success with which Universal can sell a burger with a different name, I'm sure they're going to want to capitalize on branded food items. Contrary to popular belief, Krusty Burgers are the same burgers used elsewhere around the park--they don't sell more because they're high quality, they sell more because people identify with it.

And we all have reason to believe that Monster's doesn't do great business most of the year, considering it's not open all the time. Not only could Universal use the Cafe's downtime to renovate it, they could also take a weak restaurant and turn it into a potential hit. The only problem is having it ready in time for Diagon, when they'll need all the extra resources they can get.

BGT has the rights to sesame street currently, so I don't think that will happen.

Money talks... so I could see Comcast paying Busch Gardens off if that's what it takes to get the rights for Sesame Street :lol: Big Bird and Elmo would be the antidote to everyone's complaints: there's nothing preschool-friendly at USF (Barney is friend to no one)