One Ocean - Closed | Inside Universal Forums

One Ocean - Closed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 29, 2010
Scotland
Am I right in saying Shamu Stadium is closed at the moment? If so, does anyone know what they are working on? New show perhaps?

The main pool is getting work done on it and the orcas will be occupying the back pools and doing special presentations throughout the day with the trainers in the pool that they use for the Dine with Shamu event. This new Shamu Up Close presentation will continue through April while the main pool is renovated.

I don't know exactly what the renovation is that they are doing, but I would guess they are adding the rising floor like they did to the Dine with Shamu pool.

Am I right in saying Shamu Stadium is closed at the moment? If so, does anyone know what they are working on? New show perhaps?

I don't know exactly what the renovation is that they are doing, but I would guess they are adding the rising floor like they did to the Dine with Shamu pool.

I was told the rehab consists of refinish and paint only. :shrug: I was also told that a rising floor will NOT be added at this time.

SUC-003.jpg

SUC-005.jpg

SUC-001.jpg

Seems a lengthy downtime for a lick of paint. They obviously haven't learned the "Universal guide to park redevelopment". :shrug:

I didn't think they would be putting a rising floor in the main pool. It took them 18 months to get it in the DWS pool. Would be interesting to know if they've tested it though.

Thanks for the info.:thumbs::thumbs:

I saw something yesterday that the One Ocean show is being replaced with something new as well when this rehab is over (wish I could remember where I saw it!).

I saw something yesterday that the One Ocean show is being replaced with something new as well when this rehab is over (wish I could remember where I saw it!).

That wouldn't surprise me. I don't think they ever intended OO to run as long as it has. I also seem to remember OO was rushed in after the trainer death in 2010.

I think they are replacing the see through walls at the front of the pools as well.

That would be a bizarre thing to do. It's a major component of the visual part of the show. I'd be utterly astonished if they were going to do that. :stunned::stunned::stunned:

So, it turns out One Ocean will be back once the rehab of the pool is complete, it's just Shamu Rocks (the summer nighttime show)that is being replaced after running for 7 years.

I think One Ocean is their best show. I cry almost every time I watch it.

If I had to guess canceling Shamu Rocks probably had to do with the Joan Jett debacle last month.

I'm hoping that they update the stadium signage while its closed, the signs advertising film for sale make it look so dated.

I was at the park on the 11th with 2 first-timers, neither seemed to care that the show was cancelled. (That's saying a lot since one is terminal and now will likely never get to see a true Shamu show) The Shamu Up-Close seems to work just fine. I kind of wish they just keep it and maybe end some of the bad publicity with killer whales "doing tricks." The trainers had the whales doing most of what they do in the show anyhow. Maybe just take out the show, add a scene 1 movie, then the up close experience.