Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 114 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Disney did the Ground Breaking for Avatar in the Animal Kingdom I'm confused!

Yes they did the ceremonial ground breaking (on the 10th of January I think), but I don't know if they have actually begun any real construction on site yet. And yes the ground breaking was on Animal Kingdom property if that is what you are asking, although it was not opened to the public I'm sure. It was probably done in the closed down section (former Camp Minnie Mickey section) that will become Pandora eventually.

Thank you Superior64 for the info! Can we see the Concept art of Avatar and I can't wait to see it in 2017!

I think someone on here posted them back when it was first released but I looked back real quick and could not find them. Just search for the concept art using Google image search, there are a ton of sites that show it.

Found it, the link at he bottom shows the concept art

1px.gif

1px.gif

1px.gif

1px.gif

1px.gif

Are you ready for your first glimpse at what’s next for Disney’s Animal Kingdom?

While at the first D23 Expo Japan, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs shared some exciting news on projects in development for Disney parks around the globe. He entertained Disney fans with never-before-seen videos and imagery of Shanghai Disney Resort and the recently announced Iron Man Experience at Hong Kong Disneyland. They also got an inside look at the Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky process and participated in a dazzling presentation finale, donning Glow with the Show ears that illuminated to colorful images on the big screen.

But the most exciting reveal of Tom’s presentation was a first look at the highly anticipated Avatar experiences in development for Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

As these concept renderings show in epic scale, in the world of Avatar guests will encounter awe-inspiring floating mountains and wander through a nighttime jungle of bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound.

The new Avatar-themed land will be located between Africa and the Oasis and will encompass and expand beyond the area currently known as Camp Minnie-Mickey. The Festival of the Lion King is moving its tribal celebration to an all-new theater in the Africa section of the park.

And the new Avatar-inspired land won’t be the only change coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
As part of the largest expansion in the history of the park, Disney Parks is adding all-new entertainment experiences, including a new nighttime spectacular where live music, floating lanterns, water screens, and swirling animal imagery that all combine to bring a show to Discovery River.

As part of the largest expansion in its history, Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park will be adding all-new entertainment experiences including a new after-dark spectacular centered around and above Discovery River, new nighttime entertainment including live performers on Discovery Island (pictured) and a new night version of Kilimanjaro Safaris.

https://d23.com/whats-next-for-disneys-animal-kingdom-avatar-tree-of-life-d23-expo-japan/

Avatar is probably the only James Cameron film that I didn't like. And is definitely the only JC movie that I hated. But that doesn't mean I'm rooting for the themed land to fail. It's just so hard for me to get excited for a movie that I despised. The special effects were undoubtedly Impressive. But everything else majorly lacked for me in that film.

Avatar is probably the only James Cameron film that I didn't like. And is definitely the only JC movie that I hated. But that doesn't mean I'm rooting for the themed land to fail. It's just so hard for me to get excited for a movie that I despised. The special effects were undoubtedly Impressive. But everything else majorly lacked for me in that film.

I honestly feel like Avatar was a way to tackle a lot of non-narrative objectives by using a narrative medium, so that it was barely cohesive in the end. Essentially it just felt like a showcase of how far CGI has come along, and how conservation-minded James Cameron is, bound together with a barebones story. I won't go so far as to say it was horrible, but it certainly lacked a lot of basic direction.

I found the presentation quite painful to watch.
Josh acknowledging many people on the many (fan)(Disney) blogs don't like the idea.
Joe Rohde telling us he actually likes to build stuff and kind off telling Disney to stop talking a project to death and look at Universal that is building it's ass off and money is poring in while great ideas make guests quite happy.
Also his reassuring that this will be all cutting edge, full of new technical achievements etc. made me thing about that other technical marvel, the Yeti that is now a very expensive dead prop.
Also the whole "we work great together" why do they need to tell us that all the time, is there something wrong?
Also the rambling about "story" and "meaning" and that every thing in AK can be explained by that. I was immediately thinking about the overly short Kali River Rapids. Story goes like this: Look nature is great, O dear people cut down the trees and burn the forest, look it results in a huge mudslide, wasn't that mudslide fun, lets do it again! Right, great story... ;-)
And what was that about "we build stuff of concrete, plastic and when you enter AK you'll be family like what happened in the movie"?!

I really hope Pandora will be awesome and I'll love it. I don't give a crap about guys with make-up and wearing leggings and sh!t (aka super heroes) but I love Spiderman the ride so maybe it'll be ok. But the amount of assuring Disney is giving us is making me think they are doing damage control 4 years in advance. I hope Pandora won't be the horrible box of nasty the name is known for.

I imagine it is a lot harder to get an idea put in a Disney park than it is in a Universal park, which speaks well of their quality control dept, but it means that visitors are getting announcements five years in advance of an opening after Disney (probably) deliberated for another five years before making the announcement. It's mental that they think this kind of scheduling is going to work in their favor, and if Joe Rohde worked for Universal I'm certain he would be building things all the time. Not to mention, they'd probably be awesome things.

Courtesy of Screamscape
www.screamscape.com

2017 - PANDORA: THE WORLD OF AVATAR - (2/5/14) I’m not sure how true this one, but we’ve heard it said that the boat ride going into Pandora: The World of Avatar may be somewhat similar in feel to Pirates of the Caribbean. The fantasy ride through the bio-luminescent world of Pandora may include encounters with animatronic creatures, very cool lighting and projection effects and perhaps a small drop or two along the way to keep things exciting.

I'm pretty sure we could've all figured that out from the concept art. I just think it's cool that somebody's still building slow-moving boat rides.

I'm gonna go ahead and say people should lower their expectations. Shame on Screamscape for throwing out such a silly comparison.

I think they made the comparison because of animatronics and 1 or 2 drops. I don't think they meant to imply this would be one of the greatest dark rides in the world.

I just don't understand why we CAN'T have another amazing dark ride like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. Those rides were created decades ago, why is it so difficult to surpass a concept that is so old? Hell even Its a small world is more impressive then most dark rides. It's amazing how much Pooh and Mermaid are lower tier compared to the fact that they are only a decade old.

Status
Not open for further replies.