E.T. Adventure General Discussion | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
mainejeff here's the sequel you've been waiting for!

[video=youtube;fMW3W-G43gI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMW3W-G43gI[/video]

Wasn't there a rumor that Spielberg was so angry that ET was replaced in Hollywood and Japan that he locked it into some sort of contract where the park could not get rid of it? I feel like I heard that about a year ago and, to my knowledge, I have not heard anything to the contrary yet. I do think the ride could use an update along the lines of what Disneyland is planning on doing with their Alice in Wonderland ride. Add updated AA's and just generally clean the whole ride up.

I've heard that too, but I have no idea if it is true or not.

Wasn't there a rumor that Spielberg was so angry that ET was replaced in Hollywood and Japan that he locked it into some sort of contract where the park could not get rid of it? I feel like I heard that about a year ago and, to my knowledge, I have not heard anything to the contrary yet. I do think the ride could use an update along the lines of what Disneyland is planning on doing with their Alice in Wonderland ride. Add updated AA's and just generally clean the whole ride up.

I don't believe anything was added in a contract, but I do know Spielberg was angry at the E.T. closures and threatened to step away as a consultant for Universal theme park rides if they took down the Orlando version or something along those lines.

But I think everyone is in agreement that it at the least needs to be worked on. It wouldn't upset me if they replaced it since I think it is the worst of the classic rides that are already gone. The human AAs in the beginning of the ride need a lot of work and the end sequence is just odd...I think the ride needs more than a simple rehab.

I don't believe anything was added in a contract, but I do know Spielberg was angry at the E.T. closures and threatened to step away as a consultant for Universal theme park rides if they took down the Orlando version or something along those lines.

But I think everyone is in agreement that it at the least needs to be worked on. It wouldn't upset me if they replaced it since I think it is the worst of the classic rides that are already gone. The human AAs in the beginning of the ride need a lot of work and the end sequence is just odd...I think the ride needs more than a simple rehab.

Thank you for the clarification.

Maybe they should just gut it and rework it from the ground up. Add new sequences, update the effects, and maybe even change/modify the ride system. I know Disneyland did this with Big Thunder and the new sequences/AA's/track are getting high praise over there (when the TNT sequence works that is).

I would love to see this ride refurbished, and for the animatronics to be upgraded to today's standards- half the time the police officers don't move at all, which is unbelievably depressing lol. I agree the end part looks to have been designed by an intoxicated person, but if you look at it differently, it's really not so different from It's a Small World :p Now, to have a completely re-imagined E.T. ride would be lovely, but I think the best we can hope for is an improvement upon what we already have.

I wish they didn't feel like they have to replace everything. I know space is limited, but they should save a bit of nostalgia for people who have been going to the park since the beginning. Sure the animatronics are dated but I still think the ride is excellent and it is truly my favorite in the park, and not just for sentimental reasons. I'll be so sad when they announce ET is closing.

I don't think Universal will remove the ride, they obviously realize now that closing classics doesn't make the park fans that happy :mean:. But, I think T2: 3D is the next one to go because the Hollywood one closed over a year ago and a lot of the elements in the Pre-Show and queue video are extremely out-of-date for a "future" themed ride.

I don't think Universal will remove the ride, they obviously realize now that closing classics doesn't make the park fans that happy :mean:. But, I think T2: 3D is the next one to go because the Hollywood one closed over a year ago and a lot of the elements in the Pre-Show and queue video are extremely out-of-date for a "future" themed ride.

I don't know. T2 closed in Hollywood so they could build Minion Mayhem, which we obviously already have here. Unless they come up with something new and cool that will be a draw, I don't see T2 on the chopping block here for the time being. It is going to be hard to build any sort of new experience in that area without tearing a lot of stuff down. If I had to bet money, I'd say T2 has a better chance of surviving the next 5 years than MIB does.

I would love to see Space Fantasy brought to Orlando but I would be sad to see ET leave. Maybe if it could somehow replace T2 I think that would be perfect, would also create a 'speed bump' along Hollywood Blvd which, honestly, right now doesn't have much of anything to slow down the average tourist before they rush on towards Simpsons.

Not sure how you could theme space to Hollywood but then again Mummy is in New York so...

I would love to see Space Fantasy brought to Orlando but I would be sad to see ET leave. Maybe if it could somehow replace T2 I think that would be perfect, would also create a 'speed bump' along Hollywood Blvd which, honestly, right now doesn't have much of anything to slow down the average tourist before they rush on towards Simpsons.

Not sure how you could theme space to Hollywood but then again Mummy is in New York so...

I agree with a Space Fantasy going in where T2 is. I'm pretty sure the area where Space Fantasy is in Japan isn't really themed heavily, but they could do a few touch ups.

(A little off topic) The Mummy is actually a movie set I think, because during the queue video, they interview the cast members and there are signs all over the queue that say, "Entering HOT SET", I don't know but I don't think the ride it self takes place in Egypt. The real story is in a movie set to look like Egypt, that doesn't really matter though.

I've always loved the first half of the ride where to tries to recreate the movie and i love when you are flying in the air. But I always hate when you get to ET's home world. Makes me wish i could get out of the ride before that lol.

I've always loved the first half of the ride where to tries to recreate the movie and i love when you are flying in the air. But I always hate when you get to ET's home world. Makes me wish i could get out of the ride before that lol.

I've learned to love the ending.......it's so trippy!:thumbs:

Funniest thing about ET is that it has to be the most nonsensical story ever, first of, Botanicus appears in the queue line, why does he not take ET with him? And then you get on your bike, and you fly in outer space, but you have no space suit on ... are we suppose to hold our breath? And how do we survive the decompression?

I'm fine with all those plot holes. The big one I can't get around is why did the only being that keeps the planet living go on vacation by himself.

Funniest thing about ET is that it has to be the most nonsensical story ever, first of, Botanicus appears in the queue line, why does he not take ET with him? And then you get on your bike, and you fly in outer space, but you have no space suit on ... are we suppose to hold our breath? And how do we survive the decompression?

On the first question I am going with it is not actually Botanicus, it is some sort of message transmission.
As to the second and third question, I guess if ET can make us fly, he can certainly make it safe for us to travel in outer space.
I enjoy the ride, I just think it needs to go down for a serious rehab. Some new AA's and new paint could really punch up the show.

Shhhhhhhh that's not important to the small children we all become upon entering that building :p To be honest, though, I don't think the average guest will think about any of the ride's giant incongruities for more than a split second; I mean, the first time I rode this I could've sworn the "bikes" had pedals (mind you, I was four, but still) :lol:

Shhhhhhhh that's not important to the small children we all become upon entering that building :p To be honest, though, I don't think the average guest will think about any of the ride's giant incongruities for more than a split second; I mean, the first time I rode this I could've sworn the "bikes" had pedals (mind you, I was four, but still) :lol:

I remember thinking you had to actually pedal the bikes for the ride! The commercials for Universal in the early 2000s featured the flying bike scene over the parks... so I actually thought the ride would have us fly over Universal Studios when I was little :bonk::rofl::lol: now it's the ride I go on to get AWAY from heights and thrills

I remember thinking you had to actually pedal the bikes for the ride! The commercials for Universal in the early 2000s featured the flying bike scene over the parks... so I actually thought the ride would have us fly over Universal Studios when I was little :bonk::rofl::lol: now it's the ride I go on to get AWAY from heights and thrills

How hilarious is it that Spielberg quickly tells everyone in the preshow that they don't have to peddle? I wonder how many people would get out of line if he didn't say that...