Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 189 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Excellent pics. Great to see Wyndham fully painted. Berm appears 10-12 feet tall now. I called the retaining wall long before it was known what purpose it would serve, I called the embankment long before they started construction. There is something to be said for being in the dark. I am King of the World! *gosh, I am feeling a bit cold*

Later, I shall tell you a mini story about Phase 1 and Phase 2. I and others in the biz were shocked to hear this. Ooooooh....

Thanks for alerting us to the pics Ghost. Those new sidewalk lampposts are hackneyed and totally inappropriate to the reality of London.

See any Ben Franklin lampposts in this photo?:

Leicester_Square_stn_northeast_entrance.JPG

I'd love to see them put an actual Angus Steak House in there:drool:. Not very Harry Potter though, I suppose. :lol:

^ That is getting close to the AK parking lot berms... those suckers are nasty tall and steep like that. If that backhoe can sit up there, so can a major tree. This will be interesting.

Last edited:
So, some of you will not be moved, some of you will be.

Back in 2010 many were screaming Great Job Universal Creative! We were all impressed by the town, the castle, the interiors, the queue.

Little did we know that UC was banished from designing much of anything. Sure, they advised on the nature of a major theme park and how it is run. But when it came to designing stuff and UC had a ton of talent lined up to interpret the designs of others, Warner Brothers said NO. What was WB's answer to this? The scenic designers for the films... they were flown in... given drafting boards backstage to design both the known and many things that had never been designed before. Both phase 1 and phase 2.

So, film's set designers have been on site multiple times doing both exterior and interior elevations... including details, many brand new concepts.

This is not horrible... but it flies in the face of what most of us believed. That is the point of this, my mini documentary.

Back in 2010 many were screaming Great Job Universal Creative! We were all impressed by the town, the castle, the interiors, the queue.

Little did we know that UC was banished from designing much of anything. Sure, they advised on the nature of a major theme park and how it is run. But when it came to designing stuff and UC had a ton of talent lined up to interpret the designs of others, Warner Brothers said NO. What was WB's answer to this? The scenic designers for the films... they were flown in... given drafting boards backstage to design both the known and many things that had never been designed before. Both phase 1 and phase 2.

So, film's set designers have been on site multiple times doing both exterior and interior elevations... including details, many brand new concepts.

This is not horrible... but it flies in the face of what most of us believed. That is the point of this, my mini documentary.

It obviously worked out for the best, but that really does shock me. So all the nitty gritty design work was done by movie people and not theme park designers? (Which is how Disneyland was designed, so I guess it's not without precedent)

When you think about it, it makes a lot of good sense. Bottom line, it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.