Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 162 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol what are you talking about? I dont think box office gross has ever dictated the size of a theme park expansion, just whether or not a park gets a theme park expansion or not. And even then, merchandise sales are the real deciding factor (Cars/Cars Land anyone?). And even so, the numbers you listed arent very high for a summer blockbuster like Jurassic World.

The second and third made significantly less than the first, so it's not that far off. JP3 grossed $180 million domestic.

The second and third made significantly less than the first, so it's not that far off. JP3 grossed $180 million domestic.

But Jurassic Park was already a theme park attraction in Hollywood, and there had been plans to clone it in Florida for a while. Heck, JP3 was released after IOA opened.

If Jurassic World gets over $175 million DOM, a flat and plain jr. woodie
If Jurassic World gets over $225 million DOM, a SDMT-sized Amber Mine Coaster
If Jurassic World gets over $275 million DOM, a SDMT-sized Amber Mine Coaster and a fully-revamped Discovery Center (with Omnimover dark ride)

That's what I would expect

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Omnimover going to go where Trikes was? If they put the coaster there a dark ride can't happen.

Regarding box office numbers, JW's numbers will probably impact the expansion. 2015 is crowded with movies, and while Jurassic World doesn't have much to face opening weekend, the following weekend is where it'll get crushed. The Fantastic Four reboot (which will probably be delayed or go back to Disney) and Pixar's Inside Out come out then, but even if the former gets delayed it'll still have to face Inside Out. Just look what happened to Man of Steel with Monsters University and World War Z.

But Jurassic Park was already a theme park attraction in Hollywood, and there had been plans to clone it in Florida for a while. Heck, JP3 was released after IOA opened.

What I meant was that the numbers mahnamahna posted for Jurassic World weren't that far off from what it could intake.

lol what are you talking about? I dont think box office gross has ever dictated the size of a theme park expansion, just whether or not a park gets a theme park expansion or not. And even then, merchandise sales are the real deciding factor (Cars/Cars Land anyone?). And even so, the numbers you listed arent very high for a summer blockbuster like Jurassic World.

I will say that I do agree that those numbers are terribly low for a JP movie, especially in the summer. However, I do feel that if the movie is a major success, I do see sequels and considerable changes to the expansion plans at Universal

- - - Updated - - -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Omnimover going to go where Trikes was? If they put the coaster there a dark ride can't happen.

Regarding box office numbers, JW's numbers will probably impact the expansion. 2015 is crowded with movies, and while Jurassic World doesn't have much to face opening weekend, the following weekend is where it'll get crushed. The Fantastic Four reboot (which will probably be delayed or go back to Disney) and Pixar's Inside Out come out then, but even if the former gets delayed it'll still have to face Inside Out. Just look what happened to Man of Steel with Monsters University and World War Z.

That F4 reboot is going to be terrible. why cant disney just get back spiderman and xmen so we can have this avengers squad

SCARLET-WITCH_QUICKSILVER_WOLVERINE_AVENGERS_.jpeg

The reboot is going to suck, but Fox can't afford to delay it any further or the rights go back to Disney so I get the feeling they're just going to put together whatever they can. Now let's not turn this into "Why every Marvel movie right needs to go back to Disney" :lol:

^ Doctor Doom is basically my favorite Marvel character, I just wish he could have a good portrayal. Julian McMahon just made him sound like a douche. I mean, his appearance I could live with, but he sounded so dreadful. I doubt the Toby Kebell will do any better, probably worse. I just want the voice from the Fearfall preshow and I'll be a happy camper.

Anyway back on topic, I hope universal revisists the discovery center slow moving ride. I have some ideas that I'm fleshing out and will story board when I have some time after finals.

^ Doctor Doom is basically my favorite Marvel character, I just wish he could have a good portrayal. Julian McMahon just made him sound like a douche. I mean, his appearance I could live with, but he sounded so dreadful. I doubt the Toby Kebell will do any better, probably worse. I just want the voice from the Fearfall preshow and I'll be a happy camper.

Anyway back on topic, I hope universal revisists the discovery center slow moving ride. I have some ideas that I'm fleshing out and will story board when I have some time after finals.
Sounds cool I'd love to see them. A omnimover ride is a must for the discovery center, a true living with the land style ride would be sweet aswell. Question is where would you put a ride in that space?

My take is that while the gross of the film won't directly impact the end result of JP (like the chart someone put above), it will directly impact if JW becomes a trilogy or a one hit not-so-wonder. If it becomes a trilogy then I see a larger/better expansion. If it is not a trilogy we will get the not so well themed Jr coaster and flat ride just to make JP a real land.

My take is that while the gross of the film won't directly impact the end result of JP (like the chart someone put above), it will directly impact if JW becomes a trilogy or a one hit not-so-wonder. If it becomes a trilogy then I see a larger/better expansion. If it is not a trilogy we will get the not so well themed Jr coaster and flat ride just to make JP a real land.

And that is pretty much what I meant originally. There is a lot of unknown with this film given the previous trilogy... Will it be like the first of third movie? That could have a lot of effect on the expansion.

Exactly. But no theme park has ever changed its plans just because of how much a film grossed. Theme park expansions take so much planning that if you were to modify your plans literally as the box office numbers were rolling in, by the time you could actually proceed with construction the movie would be so outdated its numbers wouldn't matter anyway.

Gross does affect how many films make up the franchise, however, and that's a more long-term decision that is easily adaptable by parks.

Exactly. But no theme park has ever changed its plans just because of how much a film grossed. Theme park expansions take so much planning that if you were to modify your plans literally as the box office numbers were rolling in, by the time you could actually proceed with construction the movie would be so outdated its numbers wouldn't matter anyway.

Gross does affect how many films make up the franchise, however, and that's a more long-term decision that is easily adaptable by parks.

Atlantis at Disneyland

^ & ^^, those movies werent already part of hit franchises. Jurassic Park is already a proven IP. But I get it, I should never say never lol

Even so, thats not really the point though. Someone said if the movie made X amount of money, the expansion should include this much, but if it makes Y amount of money it should include that much. Cancelling a project because an IP bombed is a lot different than going through the trouble of tinkering with it because of slight differences in box office.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.