Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

IOA is a 1/2 Day Park?

Jan 30, 2013
I'm not sure but Islands of Adventure, to me, is a half-day park. I'm always done by 3 pm!

I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions!

I'm not sure but Islands of Adventure, to me, is a half-day park. I'm always done by 3 pm!

I agree with you. Now to be fair, I dont do the water rides (except for the occasional ride on Jurassic Park) because either the lines are too long or I dont feel like getting drowned lol. But still, my family usually spends no more than a few hours here, and I cant imagine staying all day from 9 am to 9 pm. The dry rides are a bit on the limited side and the shows (sans Poseidons Fury) leave a lot to be desired leaving not much else to do. And it isnt a big enough park to "explore" in like some of the Orlando or Tokyo Disney parks, aside from Camp Jurassic. So, to me at least, yes it is a half-day park at best. I've always liked Universal Studios better, honestly, and think its severely underrated.

During winter, yes you can get all of the rides/attractions done by 3pm. You need the whole day to do everything during the summer (if you have kids, the play areas might take a while if they want to explore)

IOA is 3/4 complete IMO. The Kong E-ticket, HE, whatever comes to Toon Lagoon and LC, the JP additions, the nighttime show and whatever comes to Seuss will help.

If you really take your time to do everything in islands (and I mean everything) depending crowds and the use of single riders you could be done from rope drop to 12 or 3.

I am really curious if you could do every ride and show in the resort in one day and I'm actually planning to do a WDW47 but at universal. A UOR43 if you will (once diagon opens)

You might be able to 'do' Islands in half a day (even then I'm sceptical), but you can't appreciate it in half a day. The list of little easter eggs, gags, tiny details and hidden things is as long as my arm in Port of Entry alone, before you even get out into the park, and then this only continues with the Sneetch Beach, Mythos Troll, ect ect. Add to that all the experiences such as Poseidon's Fury, the water rides (any park becomes a half-day if you cut half the rides out...), the obligatory Croissant Moon and Butterbeer stops, and you've got yourself 9 'till 9. :cheers:

I stay on site whenever I know there will be huge crowds so we get the express passes.

IOA isn't a full day park. I dont consider any parks, even MK to be full day the way I spend my time. I normally do epcot and mgm one day, MK at night and IOA and Uni 1 day. havent been to DAK in a while, dont really like it.

IOA - Nighttime show, LC replacement, TL replacement (or atleast dudley replacement), Suess, Kong, new JP ride... this will def. make it a full day park, especially once they add two shows worth watching.

USO - Kidzone, Disaster, MIB area (current area + Mystery plot, so this is two expansion points)... IMO, i think they should keep twister since its a people eater. If they can do a great movie ride that would be awesome too.

Over at IOA, we do suess, PF maybe, HP, DD eat at mythos, JPRA, Spidey, DDFF & Hulk. Then im out, I tend to go on none busy times so we are in and out in 4-5 hours

Whenever I go alone I take my sweet time and do everything I want. Since I want to do both parks I make sure that Im done with one about halfway through the day so I can enjoy both parks. Universal is always the park that takes the least amount of time but that is quickly changing!

You might be able to 'do' Islands in half a day (even then I'm sceptical), but you can't appreciate it in half a day. The list of little easter eggs, gags, tiny details and hidden things is as long as my arm in Port of Entry alone, before you even get out into the park, and then this only continues with the Sneetch Beach, Mythos Troll, ect ect. Add to that all the experiences such as Poseidon's Fury, the water rides (any park becomes a half-day if you cut half the rides out...), the obligatory Croissant Moon and Butterbeer stops, and you've got yourself 9 'till 9. :cheers:

Yeah but only the most diehard fans are the ones looking for gags and Easter eggs. And even the most lackadaisical average guest who saunters through and absorbs the details wont stop for more time than it takes to look around as theyre walking. To the general public whose main focus is attractions, it definitely doesnt take a *full* day.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but only the most diehard fans are the ones looking for gags and Easter eggs. And even the most lackadaisical average guest who saunters through and absorbs the details wont stop for more time than it takes to look around as theyre walking. To the general public whose main focus is attractions, it definitely doesnt take a *full* day.

Depends on who you are and what you enjoy.

If you're a couple of teenage guys, then sure, you can power through all the rides in a few hours.

If you're a family of 5 with a toddler, tween, and teenager, then it sure as hell will take you from 9am until 9pm to experience just a few attractions (between all the bathroom breaks, temper tantrums, eating arrangements, "mommy I'm tired"'s, etc.)

I don't think it's a half day park, but I do think it's a great park that needs 3-4 more attractions.

Kong will help, and hopefully it's followed by something in Jurassic Park and Seuss respectively.

For a first time family, no...for an annual passholder, yes...Imagine if you could only visit UOR once every seven years or worse once in your life..you would do everything

BTW I may be the only one, but I could spend an entire day in Camp Jurassic alone

If its not your first trip, then I honestly feel every park in Orlando could be a half day except MK. MK has so many rides and things to do that it is a 2 day park even for return visitors. The second most complete park is Universal Studios IMO. Especially once Potter opens up there, it would be tough for even a return visitor to do everything in just a half day. Now IOA, I think the Potter factor makes it a full day, but they do need a few more non-soaking rides. If you are not riding those, that is 3 quality rides taken off the plate.

Speaking of soaking rides, on my last trip down, we went to AK and rode the Kali river ride. I was pretty excited since I have read so many good things about it and had not ridden it before. I thought it was going to be better than Bluto, but really was not that impressed. It had one cool scene and a cool drop and then its over. Bluto has a lot more scenes and seems substantially longer.

Speaking of soaking rides, on my last trip down, we went to AK and rode the Kali river ride. I was pretty excited since I have read so many good things about it and had not ridden it before. I thought it was going to be better than Bluto, but really was not that impressed. It had one cool scene and a cool drop and then its over. Bluto has a lot more scenes and seems substantially longer.

You got some bad intel. Kali is one of the worst raft rides ever, and Bluto is by far the best. :lol:

For a first time family, no...for an annual passholder, yes...Imagine if you could only visit UOR once every seven years or worse once in your life..you would do everything

BTW I may be the only one, but I could spend an entire day in Camp Jurassic alone
Survivor: camp Jurassic edition. I swear to god I'm going to start a show on YouTube where I just do theme park challenges. It's a small world for a entire day?....bring it

You got some bad intel. Kali is one of the worst raft rides ever, and Bluto is by far the best. :lol:

Seriously. Maybe you were confused with the one at DCA, Grizzly River Run? That's actually a really good one.

As for IOA being a half-day park, technically it could be but I think that's because the average attraction length is like what.. 3 minutes? It opened with a great assortment of attractions. I don't think anyone's ever visited IOA and felt like they didn't get their money's worth.

Yeah I was pretty surprised at how unimpressive it really was. Very underwhelmed, to the point of never ridding it again. Not worth get wet. Makes me appreciate Bluto.