Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 353 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though they're stupid, there's a great sense of atmosphere and buzz about those pictures! It makes me think about just how cool it is that DA is hidden away behind there, completely invisible - all those people are standing there, knowing what is so close by on the other side but completely detached from it. I love the sense that it's all happening behind there but we can't see it. How exciting!

agree....lots of atmosphere and its not even open....gonna be a crazy summer in London

In the books, Stan Shunpike claimed to be a Death Eater, but it was said that he would likely be the type to say something like that merely to gain the attention, and after further investigation it was obvious that he actually wasn't a Death Eater. So kinda both. He said he was a Death Eater, but he really wasn't.

I don't think Stan Shunpike was an actual deatheater, but he was accused and jailed. Harry wanted him released and wouldn't work with the ministry because of it. I'll have to get the book out and read that part, but I think stan was boasting or trying to sound important or something.

My friend just posted these pictures on Facebook about 2 hours ago of guests waiting for a soft opening.

10285068_10152537664599095_4890567477590529870_o.jpg

The Event Staff are shouting that it is not and will not be opening or soft opening. These people really baffle me... :doh:

Hey...look...it's Meg Crofton (pink and white striped shirt)! :stunned:

Universal Orlando would have to prove to OSHA (or the Florida state equivalent, if they're a state plan state) that their energy control procedures are at least as effective as lock out tag out in order to be in compliance. That is not something that is up to the owner's discretion. In normal circumstances, it's made very difficult to prove "as effective" and is typically cheaper, and in the long run safer to just use Lock Out/Tag Out. I'm not espousing any knowledge of what is used, however in my experience with safety regulations, it would be highly unlikely for Lock Out/Tag Out to not be used in any circumstances.

UOR wouldn't move away from Lock Out Tag Out without another system that's equally as good. I do not have any inside information, but from exposure and training I imagine BRAC is specialized for the unique issues of attractions (guests, effects, etc), while LOTO covers more traditional mechanical systems.

Hey, they all look like they are enjoying themselves. The anticipation is in the air, and we are all the first to say that no one knows when they will or if they will soft open. I think it is a 20/80 possibility that they might invite a select few to try the HE. Let's not poke too much fun at them.

See, that's where the issue comes in. It's not enough for it to be as effective, it has to be proven to be as effective, and how do you do that? The proof is the tricky part. I would be very surprised if they didn't have the two systems working in tandem in some form.

UOR wouldn't move away from Lock Out Tag Out without another system that's equally as good. I do not have any inside information, but from exposure and training I imagine BRAC is specialized for the unique issues of attractions (guests, effects, etc), while LOTO covers more traditional mechanical systems.

Hey, they all look like they are enjoying themselves. The anticipation is in the air, and we are all the first to say that no one knows when they will or if they will soft open. I think it is a 20/80 possibility that they might invite a select few to try the HE. Let's not poke too much fun at them.

But you're only 50/50 on that, right? :rofl:

See, that's where the issue comes in. It's not enough for it to be as effective, it has to be proven to be as effective, and how do you do that? The proof is the tricky part. I would be very surprised if they didn't have the two systems working in tandem in some form.

Just like any audited process, if the process addresses several safety issues and is performed as required, it can pass. I don't think they just deployed this over night, probably months and years in development working with OSHA.

In the books, Stan Shunpike claimed to be a Death Eater, but it was said that he would likely be the type to say something like that merely to gain the attention, and after further investigation it was obvious that he actually wasn't a Death Eater. So kinda both. He said he was a Death Eater, but he really wasn't.

Yes he was. He might have been under the Imperius curse (who knows?), but he was a Death Eater. I mean, how can you guys not remember that??? It's kind of a big deal, in book 7 - it's because Harry didn't want to kill him that he used the Expelliarmus spell, which kind of gave it away who the real Harry was, when they were escaping (in chapter 4, The Seven Potters)

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Yes he was. He might have been under the Imperius curse (who knows?), but he was a Death Eater. I mean, how can you guys not remember that??? It's kind of a big deal, in book 7 - it's because Harry didn't want to kill him that he used the Expelliarmus spell, which kind of gave it away who the real Harry was, when they were escaping (in chapter 4, The Seven Potters)

Ooooooh... a loyal and true Potterist. We welcome those that can remind us of the books and how it is written. Thanks!

Universal Orlando would have to prove to OSHA (or the Florida state equivalent, if they're a state plan state) that their energy control procedures are at least as effective as lock out tag out in order to be in compliance. That is not something that is up to the owner's discretion. In normal circumstances, it's made very difficult to prove "as effective" and is typically cheaper, and in the long run safer to just use Lock Out/Tag Out. I'm not espousing any knowledge of what is used, however in my experience with safety regulations, it would be highly unlikely for Lock Out/Tag Out to not be used in any circumstances.

See Below.

^ Correct. LOTO is still used by the technicians who do active maintenance on the ride. Ride attendands don't do active maintenance and don't require zero energy verification, just that the energy is controlled to prevent motion.

Just like any audited process, if the process addresses several safety issues and is performed as required, it can pass. I don't think they just deployed this over night, probably months and years in development working with OSHA.
Correct, months of meetings and then lots of classes to roll out the change.

Wait, are you saying Harry Potter has books? I thought it was just a movie! ...Just kidding. I didn't remember because I've only read that book once, the day it came out, and have never really wanted to reread it. and you're right, but I think because he was under the imperius curse and he wasn't doing it of his own free will I wouldn't consider him one. I can't remember how he got out of Azkaban, was it a mass breakout?

Great photos! I am dying to press my face up against the windows of the record shop and bookstore. Also, that little cowlick poking out of the ticket-taker's hat...sigh....I think I'm infatuated.

thanks! From the looks of these folks, I imagine there are many hiding details in some of those windows:

not sure what the ticket taker was doing prior to the photo I had posted, but my guess is they did not want us to see it so there was this human wall there...I really do not know, I had just gone by the area a couple of times the other day and snapped some stuff while passing:

not sure what the ticket taker was doing prior to the photo I had posted, but my guess is they did not want us to see it so there was this human wall there...I really do not know, I had just gone by the area a couple of times the other day and snapped some stuff while passing:

Great pics Frank. If you look at your other pictures... it appears he is holding close to a ticket machine in his left hand as he exits. I might think (in this new pic) he is printing tickets to various destinations and handing them out. I would think that he has a cockney spiel and anecdote for each destination. Should be fun. It appears he has acting chops but only one person that I know can confirm that for me.

Wow... live on E! tv at 8pm. There was no national broadcast of the Phase I opening was there? I would have watched that had it been so!

No there was not. It makes perfect sense though. Press is basically there all week leading up to this big event with The Tonight show most likely doing daily sneak peeks inside. Then the LIVE red carpet event takes place on E! to officially open the land for the world to come explore starting on the 21st! I mean, you don't do something this major and NOT open the next day!

EDIT: When Universal Hollywood does these big, star studded events (granted, not so big it is on TV, but still) they normally happen in the morning and that afternoon the ride is open. Since this event happens in the evening, I doubt the public will be invited into the land because they will need to remove the TV crews, stages, etc.

Biggest confirmation of the 20th yet!!

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/live-from-the-red-carpet-diagon-alley/667305

A LIVE RED CARPET OPENING EVENT ON THE 20th!!

EDIT: Granted, this most likely means a June 21st public opening...

The red carpet event is on the 18th at night, with 19th being a media preview of Diagon, and 20th the media leaves. It won't be live, and I would say it's far from guaranteed it's officially open the 20th.

Also, this was sent into Parkscope by @braindud92, so I want to give props out him.

Status
Not open for further replies.