Universal on a Budget | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal on a Budget

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Here are the rules for bringing in food:

We offer a variety of fresh, delicious food for our guests to enjoy at restaurants and concession stands throughout our resort; however, we understand that guests may need to bring outside food and drink into our parks. Please note the following guidelines for bringing food and drink into our parks:

Acceptable items:

• Bottled water
  • Small snacks that do not require heating
  • Any food required for medical purposes and medically–indicated nutritional supplements
  • Any food required for special dietary needs
  • Baby food/baby formula
  • Soft-sided insulated bags no larger than 8.5" wide x 6" high x 6" deep

Prohibited items:

• Picnic lunches
  • Food that requires heating or refrigeration
  • Alcohol and glass containers
  • Hard-sided coolers
  • Soft-sided coolers larger than 8.5" wide x 6" high x 6" deep
  • Coolers, suitcases, and bags with wheels
  • Folding chairs
  • Clothing with offensive language or content
  • Clothing that represents someone as emergency personnel

Please be advised that all bags and personal items are subject to inspection.

From what I understand "Picnic lunches" means food that needs to be prepared or plated. So for example you could bring in sandwiches but not the stuff to make sandwiches.

I also realized I did not say parking will not be included on first day (or without pass in hand)
That was why I mentioned walking or shuttle first day.

Regarding this, after purchasing my AP last year, I asked the parking attendant if she would accept my online transaction number and she did allow me to park free before I had the pass! Not a sure thing, but I phrased it something like; "I heard if you happen to ask a nice team member, they may allow free parking your first visit..." and it worked! Worth a shot for anyone getting a new pass.

Reactions: natespf
The AP is a good buy, we are coming over Dec14 Apr15 and Nov15. Not only does the park ticket work out cheaper over 3 trips, the savings on parking and other discounts saves alot. Really worth doing the sums!

I believe someone before said buy the red refillable cup and not the freestyle cup..I disagree. I have had my freestyle cup so long that it is the only one with a purple lid that I ever see. And it only costs about 6 bucks to get it reactivated now. That would equate to about 6 refills with the other cup, which I easily exceed that amount. Also,I believe The Burger Digs at Jurassic park has a topping bar, so you can build yourself a free side salad to help fill yourself up some more. Not sure of any other restaurants that have this, but I am sure there are some.

Not sure if they still do this but the Survey people. I did it once where it was like a peanut butter pie and Universal bucks as well. Certain water fountains I enjoy more than others. The one by Twister is normally cold.

The AP is a good buy, we are coming over Dec14 Apr15 and Nov15. Not only does the park ticket work out cheaper over 3 trips, the savings on parking and other discounts saves alot. Really worth doing the sums!

Agree with this, I only used mine over 2 trips but still worked better value for me.

Another way to "save money" is to take the surveys when they are reviewing TV shows for the next season. I reviewed Constantine which took about 50-55 minutes total (5 to get started, 40 for the show, and 5-10 for the survey). I believe they paid me $50 and the person I was with $40 (different show/demographic) It is also air conditioned so we did that in the middle of the afternoon. It is not usually available, but if you see the survey folks (normally around Hollywood and New York) and have the time, take a survey to help cover your stay.

The easiest way to save money at the parks is to split a large lunch. Lunch is typically the cheaper between lunch and dinner, and many portions are big enough for two people. Then snack the rest of the day.