Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 54 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does this seem to have been made for a theme park....hmmmm? Universal's own haunted mansion?

[video=youtube;Zu5AFwl7VXM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu5AFwl7VXM[/video]

^ Thanks. Yeeesh, I get all of these project numbers so confused in my head and forget the ones without current buzz. Does disney even do project numbers?

Not usually. Since they're Reedy Creek, they don't show up on the permit site, and on the water management site they tend to just put vague project names down

I have to wonder if the fact that Diagon Alley performed under expectations so far will hinder Comcast's ambitious plan for the next few years. An onslaught of new investments in theme parks isnt always a good thing, especially when relying on tourism. I also wonder if the budgets for Universal's next few attractions will be scaled back; not that DA is a failure or anything, but I know certain stores (including Wiseacres, the Gringotts dump store) has not made its budget all summer...this tells me that whatever Universal expected to recoup from the project hasnt quite gotten there yet, meaning maybe they'll want to scale back other budgets elsewhere to prevent the same thing from happening. It would be great if their expansion plans went by unaffected, but the 2015 project is already reported as being pushed back...is it a sign of things to come?

Well I don't think universal was expecting all the shops to do wonders this early. I'm probably gonna get a ton of flack for this but a bunch of the shops in diagon are pretty much unmarketable. Not to say any of them are bad, far from it. It's just a lot of the items they sell are just out of interest. Take wheezes for example, sure it's incredibly themed but so was zoinkos and that place never did that well due to the merchandise available. Weezes is just a bigger version of zoinkos and that's your problem right there. The only thing they could really profit on in there are the made to be gross exclusive candies and maybe some toys. A duck on a bike isn't a big selling point. You could say the same with the pet shop and costume shop. Its total eye candy but is there really stuff you'd honestly buy there? Universal really gets their biggest profits from the wands and food items in diagon. I'm sure universal was expecting this is outcome in some way

Diagon Alley has only been open for 3 weeks. To say it's stores hasn't made it's budget is all Summer is absurd considering that it opened in the middle of Summer and that Summer holiday for some go until Labor Day.

Diagon Alley has only been open for 3 weeks. To say it's stores hasn't made it's budget is all Summer is absurd considering that it opened in the middle of Summer and that Summer holiday for some go until Labor Day.

That just means you arent sure what budget is. Every day, each venue in the park sets a goal for how much money it is expected to make. It fluctuates every day based on projected attendance, the season, even the weather forecast. Its different for every store and can change between the years.

Universal set a budget goal for each day of the summer that they expected each store to reach or exceed. The fact that some havent made it doesnt mean the stores are not successful, just that the expectations were too high. So it begs the question...will Universal lower expectations on future projects thus dialing down their projected rate of expansion? Or will it have no effect at all? The reported delay of the 2015 project seems to suggest the former but our lack of knowledge of other projects and their progress could mean the latter. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are, not arguing facts.

I for one love my duck on a bike, but I do think it may be a little early to worry about budgets. There are plenty of reasons they could be performing under at the stores.

I have to wonder if the fact that Diagon Alley performed under expectations so far will hinder Comcast's ambitious plan for the next few years. An onslaught of new investments in theme parks isnt always a good thing, especially when relying on tourism. I also wonder if the budgets for Universal's next few attractions will be scaled back; not that DA is a failure or anything, but I know certain stores (including Wiseacres, the Gringotts dump store) has not made its budget all summer...this tells me that whatever Universal expected to recoup from the project hasnt quite gotten there yet, meaning maybe they'll want to scale back other budgets elsewhere to prevent the same thing from happening. It would be great if their expansion plans went by unaffected, but the 2015 project is already reported as being pushed back...is it a sign of things to come?

Over saturation of retail? Business wise? In One area? I don't know another land that has 7 or 8 shops with one ride.

That isn't a fact. It's patently untrue.

EDIT: Also, considering the fact that Kong just got a bigger budget, I don't think we have anything to worry about

No they're not, please drop this.

Im curious still as to why you guys insist on this. Please feel free to look up the revenues for the summer, attendance figures, and then compare them to projected figures. I have seen the numbers and have yet to hear any evidence to the contrary. The land is undoubtedly a success; there is nothing wrong with falling short of expectations especially considering how high they were. But the point still stands that the projections were overestimated. I will, however, welcome any hard evidence that suggest otherwise. Im simply going off what I have heard from inside the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.