Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

USF vs IOA

USF is definitely my favorite of the two, but IOA is still fun. I think Hate summed it up best in the last podcast: add in 1-2 more attractions and a solid nighttime lagoon show and IOA will be a full-day park and in great shape. I think if Uni added a few smaller improvements to the park, such as the JP expansion and a Springfield-type plussing of an area, added a stellar Disney-level lagoon show plus 2 indoor rides (without removing anything existing), they'll have a solid and much improved lineup. If they press forward with a major LC and TL replacement, the park will be absolutely OUTSTANDING.

Honestly Ive always seen USF as the minor park compared to IOA. We always ran through USF in two hours while most of our day was at IOA. Maybe it was because we went often as a family? Now that I had a pass for a season I can certainly say that I can spend just an equal amount of time in both. Biggest Nostalgia factor would have to be riding Dragons and Hulk with my dad for the first time. I enjoy the thrills in the morning and take it easy at USF in the afternoon. Balances everything out (literally).

Islands of Adventure has always been my favorite park for me. Brings back a lot of childhood memories. I haven't been to Diagon yet, but I have seen Transformers and Springfield and really enjoyed them both. It's close, but the thing with IOA is the level of detail everywhere and how all of the islands blend in. USF still has some holes to fix in my opinion.

Edit: Also I like the ride lineup better than at USF.

Last edited:
Hard to pick one. In my early years I've always preferred IOA to the Studios. But lately I'm starting to go in the other direction. I used to love the water rides but I just don't enjoy them as much as I used to. But Hulk and Spider Man remain my favorite rides in the whole resort.

Universal Studios from the first year I went there in 2001 I believe it was, is just a completely different park. I think the only ones that remain are Terminator and Twister. It's amazing looking back at it. But I definitely miss Jaws and Back to the Future.

So it's definitely a toss up. Both are the best theme parks around.

I love the music of IOA, the Ocean Trader Market music when you walk into the park:drool:.

The Hulk is my favorite coaster at the resort and Spider-Man is still my favorite dark ride ever.

But USF has Mummy, MIB, HRRR, Transformers, Despicable Me, E.T., Diagon Alley, etc.

If I were to pick between the two, USF is the dominant park (as of now).

Last edited:
If I hadn't been to either park, it would take me more than a day to see/do everything.

My family does spend most of our time at USF. Part of the reason is that my daughter can ride everything at the studios. For IOA, she is just at the point where she can ride Doom...it's a bit odd as she was tall enough yesterday and two trips ago, but on a trip in June she was not tall enough...anyway, so that removes Hulk and Dragon Challenge...sometimes Doom. I won't do two of the water rides w/o a change of close...so those examples start to shorten the list of rides we will do.

I do not think we would ever ride the Trolly w/o express...so for my family right now, it seems we tend to go over to IOA the take in the scenery and atmosphere...but for rides, it is often just Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey, And JP...sometimes CitH...at least until my daughter goes two more inches in height.

If I hadn't been to either park, it would take me more than a day to see/do everything.

My family does spend most of our time at USF. Part of the reason is that my daughter can ride everything at the studios. For IOA, she is just at the point where she can ride Doom...it's a bit odd as she was tall enough yesterday and two trips ago, but on a trip in June she was not tall enough...anyway, so that removes Hulk and Dragon Challenge...sometimes Doom. I won't do two of the water rides w/o a change of close...so those examples start to shorten the list of rides we will do.

I do not think we would ever ride the Trolly w/o express...so for my family right now, it seems we tend to go over to IOA the take in the scenery and atmosphere...but for rides, it is often just Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey, And JP...sometimes CitH...at least until my daughter goes two more inches in height.

I think it depends on the person measuring you. My daughter on the same day was turned down to ride one ride that was 36" but another ride she was able to go on with no issues after being measured. The next weekend they never even measured her for the one ride that was 36". Because of parent swap she rode it 6 times in a row. I think it was the fourth time someone questioned if she was ever measured and the one guy goes, yeah we measured her. lol I also noticed that some of the measuring things are on a slope, so it depends on if they measure you on the right side or the left side. She is almost 40" so it will be interesting since this opens up a ton of rides at all the parks for her. So we will see if she gets turned down for some, but is able to ride others. Especially since Disney has some too, so it will be interesting to see if it is different at the various parks all together.

I think it depends on the person measuring you. My daughter on the same day was turned down to ride one ride that was 36" but another ride she was able to go on with no issues after being measured. The next weekend they never even measured her for the one ride that was 36". Because of parent swap she rode it 6 times in a row. I think it was the fourth time someone questioned if she was ever measured and the one guy goes, yeah we measured her. lol I also noticed that some of the measuring things are on a slope, so it depends on if they measure you on the right side or the left side. She is almost 40" so it will be interesting since this opens up a ton of rides at all the parks for her. So we will see if she gets turned down for some, but is able to ride others. Especially since Disney has some too, so it will be interesting to see if it is different at the various parks all together.

Yeah, it is so tough sometimes to get a young one to understand, especially if they have ridding before. I think what happened with Doom was all in the shoes she was wearing a couple of trips back. I was surprised the other day though as she was wearing flats, but she is so close right now, I could see how someone might let her on while someone else would stop her.

I think the worse experience we had was when she was younger and she got on Big Thunder, made it past the 1st measure point at Splash....only to be rejected at a measure point before the ride (after waiting in line)...that was real rough!

Yeah, it is so tough sometimes to get a young one to understand, especially if they have ridding before. I think what happened with Doom was all in the shoes she was wearing a couple of trips back. I was surprised the other day though as she was wearing flats, but she is so close right now, I could see how someone might let her on while someone else would stop her.

I think the worse experience we had was when she was younger and she got on Big Thunder, made it past the 1st measure point at Splash....only to be rejected at a measure point before the ride (after waiting in line)...that was real rough!

Yeah it is tough. I know we didn't tell her what she was riding when she got rejected. But if she had already ridden it and then got rejected it would be hard. My friend told me when she was young she could ride thunder, but measured too short for splash. She is very short, so she was much older when it happened and she said it sucked. When my daughter hits a certain height we always wear the same shoes until she is measuring way higher then we know shoes don't matter. If she isn't wearing those shoes we just take them with us and change beforehand. Then there is no confusion on the shoes issue. With us living here we go a lot and try to get her on things as soon as she is tall enough. Before she was even 35" she would point to barnstormer and go Wheeeee.... So we knew we were in for a thrill seeker and she is. The hardest part for her is going in and seeing Hulk right away. When she was just 36" she pointed to Hulk and said, "Abby go" lol She has such a long way before getting on those types of rides and that does frustrate her, but even Mommy and Daddy would never let her go on something like that at this age. We are still debating Spiderman and Transformers since she is close to the 40" mark.

IOA is still my favorite. I think it is also because I have so many rich childhood memories from this park. But it is also due to the amazing theming and immersion found in the park. While some areas are weaker than others; Port of Entry, Seuss Landing, The Lost Continent and Jurassic Park are all so well designed and visually stunning. Port of Entry especially, with it's stellar soundtrack.

And I'll never tire of that beginning launch on The Hulk, or the rising building effect on Spider-Man. I can easily spend a full day in IOA. Though it certainly does need more, and some re-touching (area between Toon Lagoon and Marvel especially).

USF.

It's way easier to spend more time there and have a full day. IOA doesn't take any time for me to do. I single ride with my girlfriend Hulk, Doom, Spiderman, (skip Toon Lagoon), Potter. If I don't mind getting splashed I'll do Jurassic Park and If the waits aren't long for trolley train and cat ill hit those up on my way out.

Then I'm on to USF for DM, RRR, Twister, Mummy, Transformers, MIB, ET, Disaster, Horror Make Up Show, Kang and Kodos, Gringotts, T2 3D. I'll skip Simpsons and maybe do animal actors.

USF.

It's way easier to spend more time there and have a full day. IOA doesn't take any time for me to do. I single ride with my girlfriend Hulk, Doom, Spiderman, (skip Toon Lagoon), Potter. If I don't mind getting splashed I'll do Jurassic Park and If the waits aren't long for trolley train and cat ill hit those up on my way out.

Then I'm on to USF for DM, RRR, Twister, Mummy, Transformers, MIB, ET, Disaster, Horror Make Up Show, Kang and Kodos, Gringotts, T2 3D. I'll skip Simpsons and maybe do animal actors.
Simpsons has become a 'do it everytime' ride now that Springfield has opened...not sure why but the ride is enhanced so much now...just hope they upgrade the projection soon