Star Wars Themed Land Speculation | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars Themed Land Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When someone can come up with an idea that will allow Disney to collect guest info, increase guest spending and cut costs, while making the tech seem "cool" and allowing the uber planners to book their ride times in advance, they will win out any day of the week over someone with ride idea. It isn't lack of creativity, it's lack of foresight by the bean-counters.

Agreed. They are all about the bottom line, but that bottom line thinking is going to bite them in the butt at some point.

They really dropped $2 billion on those Magic Bands?! Damn. I actually dig the idea and the technology being implemented, but $2 billion is just ridiculous.

After 7DMT opens next year, the next thing on the horizon for WDW is really Avatar? I love Avatar and am pretty excited for it, but isn't it slotted for a 2017 opening right? That's three years with NOTHING major. I'm just curious about the future of WDW. Is this timeline accurate:

Animal Kingdom: new FOTLK theater next year, Pandora in 2017.

Hollywood Studios: Stars Wars in 2018/19?

Magic Kingdom: FLE is FINALLY completed next year, which means nothing new for 10-15 years.

Epcot:..............???

They really dropped $2 billion on those Magic Bands?! Damn. I actually dig the idea and the technology being implemented, but $2 billion is just ridiculous.

After 7DMT opens next year, the next thing on the horizon for WDW is really Avatar? I love Avatar and am pretty excited for it, but isn't it slotted for a 2017 opening right? That's three years with NOTHING major. I'm just curious about the future of WDW. Is this timeline accurate:

Animal Kingdom: new FOTLK theater next year, Pandora in 2017.

Hollywood Studios: Stars Wars in 2018/19?

Magic Kingdom: FLE is FINALLY completed next year, which means nothing new for 10-15 years.

Epcot:..............???

Oh my god, are you all telling me I'll be 30 the time Star Wars comes to Disney. This is scary lol And what are the Magic Bands?

It's insane people get paid money to report news but have no actual clue what they are talking about.
When I was a union President I did several thousand newspaper, TV & radio interviews over nearly two decades of time. I can't really remember any that the reporter got the interview just right. They never knew enough background concerning the subject they were reporting on......A writer like Seth Kubersky is a real exception to the rule. He lives & breathes theme parks. When he writes an article, you know you're getting a good analysis of the situation. I'll take an article he writes, over the ones written by the hacks at the Orlando Sentinel, AP, Yahoo, etc., any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skubersky
Don't know if anyone heard the recent Disney Dish podcast with Jim Hill yet, but it looks like a 5 year plan for Star Wars land. Sounds interesting from what he said, but Star Wars is so vast that just that one area will be on par or "obliterate" Harry Potter, as said by some nuts, is ridiculous in my mind. I have to see it to believe it. He did mention a budget for Star Wars or for that park specifically.

Well by the time Star Wars land is even under construction universal will be heads and shoulders above them in content. Sure 5 years 5 attractions is incredibly amazing and the IP is one of the best but I don't think universal will have any trouble fighting that. 2020 will be the real theme park war we've all been waiting for and I can't contain my excitement

So they are opening a ride a year in phases? Or it will take 5 years to build 5 rides. Because the phase things sounds so Disney and so tiring. I mean they will advertise the grand opening after the first ride and each ride after that :) I also won't believe any of this until I see it.

So they are opening a ride a year in phases? Or it will take 5 years to build 5 rides. Because the phase things sounds so Disney and so tiring. I mean they will advertise the grand opening after the first ride and each ride after that :) I also won't believe any of this until I see it.
Well I think what's worse about phase openings this time is that it's all Star Wars. New fantasyland was tiring but atleast it was a different movie every year. This it's just one franchise and while it's varied it's going to take a lot to make me go and appreciate every single year for half a decade. Hopefully it's all we imagined and the new movies add to it all

So based on Iger's recent comments , it appears that the new rides/land will be based on the new movies. Personally I think this is a good idea. Star Tours already represents the original and prequel trilogy. Doing another ride with the original trilogy in mind would be kind of a repeat.

Yes, and an even longer delay on the completion of Star Wars in DHS. Doubt we'll see that for at least 5 or 6 years now. It's got to make Universal smile. This gives Universal more time to grab a larger share of the theme park attendance pie. With lots of Universal expansions (hotels & attractions), and only a Avatar E ticket expansion getting ready to go at WDW, Universal gets a lot of breathing room to grow. I would have liked to see a 2 tier Star Wars expansion, with some of it being closer to fruition, but that is now a dead horse.

So based on Iger's recent comments , it appears that the new rides/land will be based on the new movies. Personally I think this is a good idea. Star Tours already represents the original and prequel trilogy. Doing another ride with the original trilogy in mind would be kind of a repeat.

It's also a telling sign that they fully believe the new Star Wars movie will be amazing (surprise, surprise). For as much as the prequels are hated, if they announced when those movies were being released that all future attractions would be based solely on Ep 1-3, I wonder what the reaction would have been.

Disney: We'll need to put that idea through 100 layers of bureaucracy and still not decide anything.

Universal: Just do it.

This isn't rocket science......sadly, Disney just doesn't know how to do theme parks anymore.:blank:

Just some logic to bring to this conversation on when Star Wars is coming. Obviously they want to bring in stuff from the new movies so that has pushed the time table back. But most insiders seem to agree that in between now and 2019 DHS will be adding a New Cars E/D ticket and C ticket; expanded TSMM, and a version of TSP. While not all exciting for some, it will be stupid to shut down the back and front of the park at the same time for both expansions. The re-branding of DHS will begin next year and we will most likely see the expanded back section around 2018, a year after the AK expansions, and two years after the Frozen addition in Epcot and completion of Disney Springs.

While I may want it now I can see the logic in holding Star Wars land off as the final piece to the DHS rebranding

Just some logic to bring to this conversation on when Star Wars is coming. Obviously they want to bring in stuff from the new movies so that has pushed the time table back. But most insiders seem to agree that in between now and 2019 DHS will be adding a New Cars E/D ticket and C ticket; expanded TSMM, and a version of TSP. While not all exciting for some, it will be stupid to shut down the back and front of the park at the same time for both expansions. The re-branding of DHS will begin next year and we will most likely see the expanded back section around 2018, a year after the AK expansions, and two years after the Frozen addition in Epcot and completion of Disney Springs.

While I may want it now I can see the logic in holding Star Wars land off as the final piece to the DHS rebranding

Last I heard the only plans were Star Wars, TSPL, TSMM 3rd track. The Cars attraction would be an expansion pad after Star Wars, but things could have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.