Guide: What to take into the Parks with You | Inside Universal Forums

Guide: What to take into the Parks with You

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disney Trip Planning: What to Take Into the Parks With You​

I want to talk about planning for your days inside each park, not about initial trip planning.

This is a guide on typical items that you want/need to take into the parks with you each day.

This guide requires a backpack, or a large bag like a messenger bag.

The first thing that you need to think about, especially in this Florida heat is hydration. This Florida heat can be brutal so you need to drink lots of water. I usually pack 2 bottles of water per person in our party. Never throw away your empties as there are plenty of water fountains around the park to refill and it saves you money to use on other things like souvenirs.

Second thing to think about is snacks, if you're like me, you like to do copious amounts of snaking through out the day and if you stop every time you want one, it takes up your time and money. I pack small snack items, like crackers, Pringle's chips, Lunchables, etc. You want to pack things that won't perish and if you do pack Lunchables then you want to make sure that you eat them before they do perish.

Third thing, and this goes back to Florida's weather and this is actually a two parter as well. You want to make sure you pack sunscreen and an umbrella. Florida's weather can be unpredictable, especially during the summer. So make sure you have sunscreen to keep from getting burnt and an umbrella to keep from keeping completely soaking wet, I know you're thinking well in this heat you might want to get soaking wet and that can be true but if it's at the end of the day as you are leaving and it comes pouring down, you don't want to ride back to your hotel, whether it's in your vehicle or one of the Disney buses, soaking wet and in the cold A/C. Another acceptable alternative to an umbrella is a poncho.

Fourth item, again this is a multi-parter since it all has to do with power. Make sure you pack your cell phone charger, extra batteries for your camera, and extra memory cards for your camera. In this day and age of smart phones, the one thing that can ruin a special moment is when you are taking a picture of you or your loved ones with your smart phone and it dies! So keep your phone charger with you at all times, there are numerous areas through out the parks where you can stop for a few minutes and charge your phone. This tip also goes with having a digital camera.

Fifth item, and this mainly is for people that have kids. Make sure you pack your children's autograph books for when they meet their favorite characters. This can literally ruin any child's day at the park.

Sixth and final item, this is if you have enough room for them but pack an extra change of clothes. Say you might have forgot your umbrella or poncho and you got soaking wet from a bad thunderstorm, if you have a fresh change of clothes then all you have to do is change.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully this can be of some help to you. Feel free to comment and add things that you think would make this list even better.

On the hydration front all places that sell fountain drinks will give free ice water.(cup is a little small)

But if you did not know all Coke Freestyle machines will give free Ice and Water.
I bring my refillable souvenir cup and refill with Ice and water all day for FREE !!!!!!(Mio drink mix if you do not like plain water)

I also bring refillable popcorn bucket for 1.19 popcorn refills .

I pack a small cooler(softside) with lunch meat.Some bread and make sandwiches .

Ricter's and Burger digs have free lettuce,tomato's ,pickles,mayo.mustard.I just buy a fry or two and use those trays to get some toppings.

On the hydration front all places that sell fountain drinks will give free ice water.(cup is a little small)

But if you did not know all Coke Freestyle machines will give free Ice and Water.
I bring my refillable souvenir cup and refill with Ice and water all day for FREE !!!!!!(Mio drink mix if you do not like plain water)

I also bring refillable popcorn bucket for 1.19 popcorn refills .

I pack a small cooler(softside) with lunch meat.Some bread and make sandwiches .

Ricter's and Burger digs have free lettuce,tomato's ,pickles,mayo.mustard.I just buy a fry or two and use those trays to get some toppings.

Great additions, let's keep this going.

Cargo pants for at least one person to be the mule.

My Fiance rides a power chair you would be surprised how much you can hang on one of those. :happy:

Stop on your first day if you have a handicap(or someone in your party.) and get a Guest Assistance pass.(can be issued for 14 days)
If the wait for a ride is less than 30 minutes they put you in express.
If more than 30 they issue a return time.
You would be amazed at the number of people in the park with an obvious handicap Who do not know about these.

Poncho's are a must.Pick some up at a dollar store.They used to be two for a dollar but lately have been one for a dollar.
They are thin and cheap enough so I do not mind throwing them out after one use.
When I remember Poncho's it doesn't rain .When I forget them it does.

Seventh item, a full wallet

This is 'bout the only thing I bring, well and a change of clothing out in the car just in case. :thumbs:

One problem I have in the parks is that I am not hungry enough, they have so much awesome food at Universal and I want to eat it all but I can only eat a few times each visit. That I count as a major part of the experience and I would not dare compromising it with regular snacks from home. :lol:

You can fill up your water bottles everywhere you turn inside the parks, but in those same places I can just get water without carrying around any bottles. I absolutely hate the idea of carrying stuff around, that also includes those soda cups which I find to be a big hassle. :mad:

Virtually nothing. That's my goal.

This is the boat I am in. I feel I may need to disclaim, just in case for those who do not know me well, that I am not actually trying to knock anyone else's list and I do not have kids myself. It is a good topic for discussion.

Last edited:
To each their own, I have kids so I have to make sure that I pack accordingly.

Fair enough, I do not have kids and I don't like being slowed down by lockers and excess weight. If there were shorts with zipper pockets (non-cargo) I'd get them for the parks so I never have to see a locker.

Yes! Found that out the other week, I was at Pizza Predatoria and constantly saw people do this, so I thought let me try this as well lol
Funny thing though, there was a coke guy there servicing one of the machines, and a girl was about to get the free water and he told her she was not allowed to do that, he said this is for people who pay and pointed to a water fountain and said, you get free water there. So the girl just waited 'till the coke guy left and got water from the free style machine ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Virtually nothing. That's my goal.

I am in the same boat! My wife sometime likes to take a backpack (and then of course she complains she has to carry it, so I end up carrying it lol), but usually I never take anything with me. But then, since I go about every week I usually never stay that long.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough, I do not have kids and I don't like being slowed down by lockers and excess weight. If there were shorts with zipper pockets (non-cargo) I'd get them for the parks so I never have to see a locker.

I generally wear cargo shorts just because I am a tad paranoid about my wallet falling out on a coaster.

I used to have an absolutely fantastic pair of cargo pants with 2 pouches and 3 zipper pockets (all very deep pockets). They were the greatest pants ever, and I wish I could find another pair of them. Like Anihilnation, I'm always paranoid about something falling out of my pockets and would much prefer the zipper pockets. Lately I have been trying to go more minimalist and my phone case doubles as my wallet and there isn't much else except my for my smokes and what other people need me to carry.

This is just an all purpose guide that my family uses, mainly because we have kids. It can be adjusted for each person, I'm not saying that everyone should or need to use it. I just wanted to share what my family plans for our time in the parks, mainly Disney.

Prior to kids we took nothing. We were always in the no bag line and got annoyed when people coming with us had to get their bags checked. My DH had cargo pants so outside of a couple bottles of water, we didn't bring anything else but our wallet.

With kids, we had to bring more. With young kids (diaper age) get chucks, puppy pads, or anything like that. This can be used for diaper changes anywhere in the park and be thrown out if it gets dirty. We used these all the time in secluded places in the park vs needing to find a bathroom. They were also great if your child sometimes has exploding diapers to use in the stroller after an explosion. I like anything I can throw away when it comes to poop. I brought snacks for my daughter up until about 6 mos or a year ago. At 2 1/2 - 3 she was on more of the same eating schedule as us, so we no longer needed snacks.

She is 3 1/2 and potty trained, so now we are down to a change of cloths, our water, and her juice. We still use our stroller to carry the few things we have and because I get sick of carrying her. But we did go to kennywood without a stroller and with lots of people it was OK. If it is my husband and I only, I would have wanted the stroller. Once she is out of a stroller all together it would be back to water & juice. But with a new LO on the way, our stroller days are here for awhile.

Honestly, outside of water, I prefer to buy food in the parks. One of the enjoyments for me of the parks is the various park foods you can't get outside a park like funnel cake, dole whip ice cream, etc. So we don't ever pack snacks or meals when we go. The only time was when my LO was really young and she snacked every 1 to 2 hours.

Absolutely agree with the extra batteries/cell phone charger. I have a small rechargeable battery the size of a tube of lipgloss that fits really well in my regular pocket. It has saved me plenty of times in the park when my phone decides to crap out on me. It doesn't take up all that much room so that you don't have to end up taking a bag if you don't want to!

One thing I've noticed at the parks is that my battery rapidly depletes and the phone gets super hot at random times. I thought it had to do with the 4g signal getting lost but now think it is GPS. So just turning off GPS could save battery quite a bit.