Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion | Page 84 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think you don't have to worry about the quality and quantity of zones and houses. There will definitely be enough and with the unofficial scare zones plus the zones this year are probably going to be as detailed and immersive as ever before. Yeah there is no story whatsoever and we don't have a tagline but we'd probably all be complaining if they made a story anyways. How the hell do you tie all these different IPs together in one long story? The answer is you can't, atleast successfully. I think you are looking at this year compared to the glory years and at that point you shouldn't. See it as what it is, an IP event with equally strong original content to go with it. I'm not expecting it to be the best year of all time but I'm definitely expecting a ton of surprises and fun. If you still want to have that mindset then different spokes for different folks I guess, have fun being grumpy lol

You contradict your earlier points which it makes it kind of hard to have a discussion with you. You say it'll be one of the best years, and then say it won't be... you mention that you can't cohesively link all the IPs, yet say this event will be better than 2007 or 2009, two events that did it quite well with just as diverse a selection of outside properties. No one would be complaining if we had a story. 2008 had nine (!) total zones, the six official ones and 3 "unofficial" ones -- here we're looking at 4, with (maybe?) two unofficials. It's a downgrade in quantity, no matter how you slice it. And I'm not even touching crowd control, scare quality, design quality, acting quality, etc...

I'm not going this year, as I've said - putting my money where my mouth is. I'm tired of paying more for less.

Reactions: Octobers Fade
Will there be any type of Lagoon Show going on during HHN?

You contradict your earlier points which it makes it kind of hard to have a discussion with you. You say it'll be one of the best years, and then say it won't be... you mention that you can't cohesively link all the IPs, yet say this event will be better than 2007 or 2009, two events that did it quite well with just as diverse a selection of outside properties. No one would be complaining if we had a story. 2008 had nine (!) total zones, the six official ones and 3 "unofficial" ones -- here we're looking at 4, with (maybe?) two unofficials. It's a downgrade in quantity, no matter how you slice it. And I'm not even touching crowd control, scare quality, design quality, acting quality, etc...

I'm not going this year, as I've said - putting my money where my mouth is. I'm tired of paying more for less.

I totally understand your point and i was pissed they didnt make a simple clown scarezone (even without props) But even if this is a small improvement over the last two years, it is still an improvement.

as for me, they are doing two of my holy grail houses (avp/halloween) and they are doing a mega house which i always wanted them to do.
the original houses look great as well,
maybe the hype is just getting to us and it won't be as great as previews years but at least it is a step in the right direction. I have no problem criticizing Uni when they are messing up (and I have) but i have to give them some credit for the good things they are doing this year.

I never said it would be one of the best years just possibly better than 17 and 19. These zones are gigantic though and probably way more detailed than 18 ever was. The purge alone has TVs, box car, victims and possibly a giant billboard. I see it as quality over quantity. I don't go to horror nights for the story that ties it all together, just for the specific story in the houses and scare zones. It's such a little part of the actual event that it doesn't even matter, only for the hardcores. You can stay home but if you don't go, you honestly have no real way to actually critique it. Your judging a book by its cover and refusing to give it a chance so your opinion just comes off as rather ignorant

Last edited:
Who is going to US in the near future with their really good camera. I need a high res picture of a prop in one of the zones but I cannot discuss it on here. A daytime pic would be best. Feel free to PM me.

I never said it would be one of the best years just possibly better than 17 and 19. These zones are gigantic though and probably way more detailed than 18 ever was. The purge alone has TVs, box car, victims and possibly a giant billboard. I see it as quality over quantity. I don't go to horror nights for the story that ties it all together, just for the specific story in the houses and scare zones. It's such a little part of the actual event that it doesn't even matter, only for the hardcores. You can stay home but if you don't go, you honestly have no real way to actually critique it. Your judging a book by its cover and refusing to give it a chance so your opinion just comes off as rather ignorant

I've been attending for six years. Small fry compared to some vets here, yes, but enough to see the decline that started around 2010 and hasn't stopped. While 2014 may be a marginal improvement over 2012/3 - not a high bar - it doesn't mean it gets the event back up to 2011 standards, or the arguably even higher 2005-2009 block.

With the "more detailed" comment you're the one actually exhibiting some ignorance yourself. Did you go in 2008? Or 09? There's just as many props, set pieces, placemaking... to say nothing of the actual design of the thing. (Putting props everywhere without thought or purpose doesn't make a good zone, apocalyptic or not. Not saying that's the case here, but the existence of the props doesn't automatically make a zone good.)

I have quite a bit of knowledge about the inner details of this event - not enough to fully review each house experience as if I were walking through it, but enough to judge whether or not it's worth my time and money.

Well if you think its that bad, I guess I get it. I still dont understand all the hate sometimes on this forum about the event. To me, you get a ton for your money. For $100, you can get a pass that gets you in the event over 20 TIMES. Here in ATL you easily drop $100 for just a couple of houses and one night. With the quality not being even close to HHN (even though the houses may be longer). Its been beat to death that the last two years are not like the good ole days. But that doesn't mean that the events are still not an incredible value. If haunted houses are your thing, even at the raised rates and it not being the "golden years", its still a must see experience.

Who is going to US in the near future with their really good camera. I need a high res picture of a prop in one of the zones but I cannot discuss it on here. A daytime pic would be best. Feel free to PM me.

How near future? I will be there next Wednesday.

For the most part. I believe were mostly positive about the event. Other than the zones which are taking shape. We can only feed on hype at the moment until Opening Weekend. The key is not to over hype something. As then it will be good or bad depending on your mindset.

I've been attending for six years. Small fry compared to some vets here, yes, but enough to see the decline that started around 2010 and hasn't stopped. While 2014 may be a marginal improvement over 2012/3 - not a high bar - it doesn't mean it gets the event back up to 2011 standards, or the arguably even higher 2005-2009 block.

With the "more detailed" comment you're the one actually exhibiting some ignorance yourself. Did you go in 2008? Or 09? There's just as many props, set pieces, placemaking... to say nothing of the actual design of the thing. (Putting props everywhere without thought or purpose doesn't make a good zone, apocalyptic or not. Not saying that's the case here, but the existence of the props doesn't automatically make a zone good.)

I have quite a bit of knowledge about the inner details of this event - not enough to fully review each house experience as if I were walking through it, but enough to judge whether or not it's worth my time and money.
I did go in 18 and 19 and honestly no zone in either even can compare to how much actual crap is going on in just one of these zones. Again the purge might just be the most immersive scare zone of all time and it's in New York no less one of the worst places for scare zones. They pack that place with scare actors and it'll be legendary. These houses are going to be awesome, the shows will be fun it looks pretty solid. Your getting a ton for your money and so what if it isn't like 18? Your getting 8 brand new attractions, basically a brand new park at night. If that isn't worth your time and money I don't know what is. I have knowledge of this event too and this looks solid. Your doing yourself a disservice as a fan for not going

I say let's wait and see how this year is before we condemn or praise it more than the other years. Personally I have full faith in Aiello and have always seen the recent changes as growing pains.

One thing I do know for 99% certain is that the website is underfunded and will continue to be underfunded for the near term. I know some things are underfunded and there is a lack of communication in other areas but that should not mean that the event is in a tailspin with no return.

I look at this year the same as I do every year... It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!

This is uncanny, I sent you a PM about 10 mins ago LOL.

The problem with 2008/09 is that none of the scare zones were actually scary...I don't care how beautiful something is or the story..if it's not scary that is a problem...HHN has had a scare zone problem ever since it came back to the Studios (in my opinion)...Personally I don't think HHN is at a point where I wont go..the houses were fantastic last year and it seems this year the streets will be great...I think you're making a mistake not going, but it's your money

The problem with 2008/09 is that none of the scare zones were actually scary...I don't care how beautiful something is or the story..if it's not scary that is a problem...HHN has had a scare zone problem ever since it came back to the Studios (in my opinion)...Personally I don't think HHN is at a point where I wont go..the houses were fantastic last year and it seems this year the streets will be great...I think you're making a mistake not going, but it's your money

And there was nothing about last years zones that were scary either....

Adding a bunch of junk cars, tvs, signs... does not a scare zone make, woo nothing original about that.

Agree to disagree. I thought American Gothic and The Skoolhouse especially were terrifying, and even the more photogenic, wild zones had their frightening moments. The whole placed dripped with atmosphere, and the astronomical amount of creativity and high production values showed. Last year, we got a bunch of Walkers. It's just disappointing.

I'm also out of state now. People forget that it's easy to stomach a degrading event if it only costs you $100 for the season, but HHN used to be an event that was worth the hundreds of dollars in travel fees and hotel stays. It really isn't anymore.

And there was nothing about last years zones that were scary either....

Adding a bunch of junk cars, tvs, signs... does not a scare zone make, woo nothing original about that.

Totally agree about last years zones, and I love WD. It was sorta cool taking pictures, but that was about it.