DHS Pixar Expansion/Sound Stage 1 | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

DHS Pixar Expansion/Sound Stage 1

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe how many Dis fans are posting videos of the "final pov of backlot tour" as if it were ending as the greatest attraction. I just cannot believe how some are beating drums about it.

It is somewhat historic...I guess..still though no one is mourning its loss

I may be in the minority, but my GF & I just love DHS. We really enjoy the shows & the Citizens of Hollywood. And R&R Coaster, Twilight Zone Tower of Terro, the Great Movie Ride & Star Tours 2 are four of our favorite rides. And Fantasmic is excellent. The park is small but we kind of enjoy it's cozy ambiance. That said, I would really like to see a Star Wars Land on the order of Diagon Alley immersion. I doubt it's probable, but if even half as immersive as Diagon, it would be a huge plus. Pixar, though not Toy Story Land, would be an improvement on the nothingness in the back of the park, but I don't really get excited about that aspect.

I cannot believe how many Dis fans are posting videos of the "final pov of backlot tour" as if it were ending as the greatest attraction. I just cannot believe how some are beating drums about it.

I know right? The video attractions posted with everybody quoting the lines like it was jaws absolutely baffled me. To think all these people had to go on the long, boring backlot tour tons of times to memorize that. It's not even historic because nothing was filmed there, it's only historical value is to the MGM park for being an opening day attraction...that's it!!! Yeah I know it was once good but I see attractions as they are currently and this one was probably the worst in the resort. Good riddance!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I may be in the minority, but my GF & I just love DHS. We really enjoy the shows & the Citizens of Hollywood. And R&R Coaster, Twilight Zone Tower of Terro, the Great Movie Ride & Star Tours 2 are four of our favorite rides. And Fantasmic is excellent. The park is small but we kind of enjoy it's cozy ambiance. That said, I would really like to see a Star Wars Land on the order of Diagon Alley immersion. I doubt it's probable, but if even half as immersive as Diagon, it would be a huge plus. Pixar, though not Toy Story Land, would be an improvement on the nothingness in the back of the park, but I don't really get excited about that aspect.

I love parts about MGM I really do, I just absolutely can't stand the potential it has and why Disney isn't taking advantage of it until now. In 10+ years when we have a Star Wars land and the park is in tip top shape then we will see but as it stands now star tours, muppets, great movie ride and tower of terror are my only reasons to go back

I'm sure this was discussed months ago, but wasn't there a rumor that the World Drive toll booth would be demolished and replaced with one on Victory Way, leaving tons of space for future expansion on the southern edge.
Screen-Shot-2013-07-24-at-12.26.02-PM.png
yeah, it was discussed in the BLT thread

- - - Updated - - -

Well, during it's heyday, it was quite the attraction.

Unfortunately, it's heyday was when Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears were back there filming "The Mickey Mouse Club".

Here's a video from 1990:

[video=youtube;Ciiphc8VnGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciiphc8VnGw[/video]

Last edited:
OK, I wrote this long thing and somehow it got lost when I hit the backspace button - lol

In summary, there is not enough to offer in this park for any age group. The older age group says only a couple thrill rides and everything else is boring and the younger age group says not enough young stuff. We hardly ever go to this park and my husband hates it. He says there is not enough young stuff to keep our LO entertained. Prior to kids he said there was not enough for us to be entertained. That is a huge problem. At least Uni has the image that there are a large age group that enjoys the park.

You're right. We go to Disney a lot from Tampa and hardly ever go to DHS because none of us want to go. I told my girlfriend, who's a big Disney fan, that the Backlot Tour was closing and she responded by saying "Good, I won't miss it".

I would really love it if they added a Red Car Trolley or something similar though. On top of major additions, it needs smaller kinetic additions, but it also needs rides where you can just relax like the peoplemover or the red car trolley at DCA. every time i'm there, I feel very rushed. There's no rides that allow you to take a break unless you want to see a show.

Last edited:
OK, I wrote this long thing and somehow it got lost when I hit the backspace button - lol

In summary, there is not enough to offer in this park for any age group. The older age group says only a couple thrill rides and everything else is boring and the younger age group says not enough young stuff. We hardly ever go to this park and my husband hates it. He says there is not enough young stuff to keep our LO entertained. Prior to kids he said there was not enough for us to be entertained. That is a huge problem. At least Uni has the image that there are a large age group that enjoys the park.

(Ah I hate that)

I have always thought that DHS should be their thrill focused park, not at the level of UOR but a Disney thrill park. Still have a balanced park with stuff for little kids etc, just lightly leaning a more thrilling direction. Magic Kingdom is the young at heart nostalgia park, Epcot has human culture and innovation, Animal Kingdom has the animals, and DHS is there for if you are at Disney World for 4 days :pound:

I just think each park should have it's own niche.

(Ah I hate that)

I have always thought that DHS should be their thrill focused park, not at the level of UOR but a Disney thrill park. Still have a balanced park with stuff for little kids etc, just lightly leaning a more thrilling direction. Magic Kingdom is the young at heart nostalgia park, Epcot has human culture and innovation, Animal Kingdom has the animals, and DHS is there for if you are at Disney World for 4 days :pound:

I just think each park should have it's own niche.

I agree, we don't need MK 2.0, but they do need balance. Right now there is no identity for DHS, it is just there as a fourth park with not much to offer. I would be fine with more thrill rides, but they need to refresh their shows and add some smaller rides that the whole family can enjoy. That would probably make every age group happy and give everyone something more to do. I am totally for anything that would give people more to do at any age group lol

When it comes to show refreshes I know they can do shows the whole family can enjoy (not just kids). I enjoy Bugs Life as an adult and I did as a teen too. My daughter also enjoys it. That is a perfect example of a show that would be perfect for DHS. Lion King is another one, I love that show as an adult and my kid is fascinated with it. But Belle I never went to as an adult and I know why.

Last edited:
Adding SW Land, Toy Story Land, and a new Pixar themed ride (RSR?) would be a huge step in the right direction.

I like the idea of the studios becoming a more thrilled based park. Magic kingdom has little for adults and feel adding some thrill rides would help towards those lost in the Uni direction.

I like the idea of the studios becoming a more thrilled based park. Magic kingdom has little for adults and feel adding some thrill rides would help towards those lost in the Uni direction.

The ground work is there for a thrill based park with RnRC and ToT already being there and arguably being the biggest thrill rides at WDW. I think they should go towards that direction a bit more. Obviously a Disney park will never truly be a total thrill park, but DHS needs to be more geared towards thrill seekers and boys on a family vacation.

The groundwork is there, and I do think we'll see some more rides to go along with ToT and RNRC in that category, but I think a main component of expansion also needs to be adding more accessible, higher capacity rides. Simple rides like the peoplemover or just a regular dark ride even help A LOT. DHS has nothing like that right now.

With BLT now closed, there are now only two rides in the entire park without a height requirement. TWO. This is a big reason the park is in such desperate need for attention. There's very little to do once you get past ToT, RNRC and TSMM as far as rides go, and certainly not much for younger kids (I know MK is a play land for them, but DHS need to have stuff for the age group as well to be successful).

Last edited:
All MGM has for kids right now are the shows and maybe TSMM (it's HELL to try to get on). I was thinking about taking my little brothers and I quickly realized "wow there is a ton there for them....too bad there aren't any rides". You do have to think though is toy story land really going to fix this? RC racer and green soldiers look pretty rough for the little ones. I still think they should go for more high tech dark rides but that's just me

as big a universal fan that i am... i must admit... i'm intrigued! hopefully its done by the time i have kids!

I'm pretty sure building Toy Story Playland would just make things worse. Those rides have extremely low capacity, which would make them quite the nightmare when it comes to the WDW crowds.

Regardless of what it is, I really hope they get a replacement in ASAP, as it'd be terrible if this ended up being another attraction Disney just shuts down with no replacement planned.

I hate DHS, to much screen rides; Toy Story, Captain Jack Experience, the end of the great movie ride, Star Tours, Muppets, Frozen Scream-along, Rock 'n Rollercoaster and the ghosts in ToT...
But seriously do they still charge money now there are only a few rides and some tired old shows are left?

TSPL, expansion to TSMM, possible readying for some sort of Cars 'E-Ticket' for phase two, but really, how often does Disney really do phase two?

Status
Not open for further replies.