SeaWorld Posts Record Sales and Profits | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Posts Record Sales and Profits

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

bobwadd

V.I.P. Member
Feb 20, 2010
You never know
From the Orlando Sentinel

SeaWorld posts record sales and profits for third quarter

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. reported record third-quarter sales and profit Wednesday, buoyed by higher prices and a strong performance at its marine park in Orlando.

The Orlando-based theme-park company said its quarterly profit ballooned 30 percent from the same period a year ago, from $92 million to $120 million. Total revenue rose 3 percent, to $538 million.

In an interview, SeaWorld President and Chief Executive Officer Jim Atchison said the Orlando and San Diego SeaWorld parks drove the company's growth.

"Our two flagship parks are leading the pack for our 11-park portfolio," he said.

Although he would not disclose park-specific figures, Atchison said SeaWorld Orlando is also enjoying a record year individually, due partly to the May opening of "Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin," a new land that was the largest expansion in the park's history.

"We feel very good about the attraction, what it's done and the performance it's driving for us," Atchison said during a conference call with analysts.

Chain-wide attendance fell 3.6 percent during the quarter, from 9.2 million to 8.9 million. The company also owns a SeaWorld in San Antonio, Busch Gardens theme parks in Tampa and Williamsburg, Va., and several smaller parks.

But SeaWorld said part of the drop was the result of a strategic decision to charge higher prices, scale back discounts and steer ticket sales through more profitable channels, such as company-owned online and mobile-commerce platforms.

The higher margins more than made up for the smaller crowds. SeaWorld said admission revenue per guest rose 9.1 percent during the quarter, from $35.19 to $38.38 per visitor.

Spending on food, souvenirs and in-park experiences rose 3.5 percent, from $21.61 to $22.36 per visitor. SeaWorld said its combined per-capita spending level for the quarter — $60.74 per person — was also a company record.

The company said attendance trends have improved in recent months. The sharpest decline occurred in July, when attendance dipped 5.7 percent because of poor weather. But it said attendance was down only 1.8 percent combined in August and September and was "comparable" to last year in October, the first month of the fourth quarter.

SeaWorld said poor weather — primarily heavy rain in Florida — cost it about $10 million in lost revenue during the quarter.

The company also cited bad weather as a major factor during the spring, after companywide attendance tumbled 9 percent during the second quarter. Competing theme-park operators, including Walt Disney Co. and Universal Orlando parent Comcast Corp., have not reported any similar weather impacts.

SeaWorld executives said their company is more vulnerable to weather than others for several reasons. SeaWorld's business is more heavily concentrated in Florida, where five of its 11 parks are based. Some of its parks, notably Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, rely on a higher percentage of annual-pass holders, who are more likely to change their plans in the event of rain. And SeaWorld doesn't have hotels at its theme parks as Disney and Universal do. The hotels serve to lock in visits.

SeaWorld signaled that it expects to expand — and potentially soon. Asked on the conference call if SeaWorld might announce a new theme park within the next 12 to 24 months, Atchison responded: "I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility."

"We have put quite a bit of work into a handful of development initiatives and feel very good about the progress that they're making," he said.

In the interview, Atchison said there has been "great reception and interest" in SeaWorld's various brands in overseas markets, identifying both Asia and the Middle East. He also said SeaWorld executives still believe "there are some opportunities" to add parks in the U.S., possibly with a new park brand.

SeaWorld's record-breaking third quarter marked an important rebound for the newly public company, after a second quarter in which it lost $15.9 million and disappointed Wall Street.

But while the improved performance is likely to please analysts and investors, it could complicate matters for SeaWorld in another arena: federal court, where it is battling the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. The workplace-safety agency, which investigated SeaWorld after a trainer was killed by a killer whale in February 2010, has recommended that trainers be prohibited from having close, unprotected contact with the giant marine predators.

One day before SeaWorld announced its earnings, company lawyers were in Washington, D.C., arguing before a three-judge appellate court that its business depends on displaying humans and killer whales in close contact.

Atchison declined to discuss the case in detail when asked during the conference call.

"We remain very confident in our case," he said.

Now they need to do something else since I'm sure everyone who went out to ride Antarctica won't be going back to do it again.

I find it fascinating that though they're posting record sales and profits, they've also been subjecting the Orlando parks to record cutbacks, too. When I was there 6 weeks ago, both BGT and SWO were experiencing cuts that were brutally obvious and detracted from the experience. The parks were also the most dead I've ever seen them. SWO was damn near deserted in some areas and there were 2 times that I rode Kraken all by myself. Hopefully they just went through a small period of low attendance/bad public rap for the BS "documentary" that was "Blackfish" and things will begin turning around for the holidays and spring season next year.

While attendance may seem low at SWO, I can tell you they have beating projections on attendance nearly every day, and guest spending is way up. The percentage of foreign tourists is really high (especially Brits) and they are dropping major cash all around the parks.

SeaWorld and BG always seem slow compared to the other Orlando parks but that doesn't mean they aren't doing well. As for the cuts, most are barely noticed by casual guests only the "regulars" who visit frequently and even they don't seem to be complaining. And for a company that is "cutting" they are spending more on this year's Christmas event than last years with pluses coming all around.

Last edited:
I find it fascinating that though they're posting record sales and profits, they've also been subjecting the Orlando parks to record cutbacks, too. When I was there 6 weeks ago, both BGT and SWO were experiencing cuts that were brutally obvious and detracted from the experience. The parks were also the most dead I've ever seen them. SWO was damn near deserted in some areas and there were 2 times that I rode Kraken all by myself. Hopefully they just went through a small period of low attendance/bad public rap for the BS "documentary" that was "Blackfish" and things will begin turning around for the holidays and spring season next year.

MK was pretty dead when I went there at the beginning of October. In fact we rode several rides with just us or maybe one other person. So really I don't think it is any indication of SW, this dead season has been really dead. I have been surprised of how slow it really has been. Even on a Saturday when I went with my daughter, we waited in very few lines at MK. We went to Sea World during the halloween event and it was PACKED with people, so they did well on the weekends in October.

Apparently Seaworld wants to limit guests so only the wealthy can go to their parks. Boosting ticket prices to $92 and taking away free admission for under-5s.

"SeaWorld executives say they are happily sacrificing some crowds in the process, with a goal of attracting "a higher quality of attendance" less likely to be pulled away by competing offers."

From http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-11-30/business/os-seaworld-pricing-strategy-20131130_1_seaworld-orlando-seaworld-president-seaworld-entertainment-inc

That's really interesting. I've never heard a park flat out say we rather weed out the cheapskates and make more room for the big spenders. :lol: They're all thinking it, of course, but it's funny to hear SeaWorld say it. I hope it works out for them.

I guess that means more restaurants... and they better get some better ride development then.
And when they cut back employees and the guest service suffers so will attendance.
Welcome to corporate America

Last edited:
Apparently Seaworld wants to limit guests so only the wealthy can go to their parks. Boosting ticket prices to $92 and taking away free admission for under-5s.

"SeaWorld executives say they are happily sacrificing some crowds in the process, with a goal of attracting "a higher quality of attendance" less likely to be pulled away by competing offers."

I wonder if this was really said by a seaworld executive and if so if this was a direct statement or if this is something taken out of context. In any case, offers such as the $50 online tickets can now be used as a new marketing strategy: to give the poor people a chance to experience seaworld ...

Ironically, when you look at this "At the same time, however, per-person spending on tickets jumped 10 percent" and then you also know that attendance dropped 5% and that prices for food have gone up, then it becomes obvious that the 10% spending increase does not tell us that much after all.

In any case, I hope that the proposed partial buyout of blackstone will happen, because seaworld itself cannot be happy with this kind of publicity. It also amuses me how investment firms say, yay per capita spending is up, but fail to inquire as to why attendance is down ...

my fear is that now, the heat is on the orcas. how long before it bleeds heavily over to the seals, dolphins, and everything else? seaworld might eventually have to be redone to just be a large aquarium with rides.

Obviously there's no denying the numbers. SeaWorld has had a rough year in 2014. But to say that they to need entirely alter the park is ridiculous. Contrary to mass media belief, there are a lot of guests that still support SeaWorld and still enjoy the orca show. I've seen Shamu Stadium packed to capacity before AND after the Blackfish drama. Do they need to improve their public image? I don't believe so. They already have plans on revising the orca habitat with the Blue World Project; a massive undertaking that will hopefully educate people. Until that is complete, which is unfortunately far away, SeaWorld needs another attendance-booster attraction. Family rides aren't their best quality, so a well-themed coaster similar to Manta could help. With a new coaster AND the Blue World Project, I could see SeaWorld becoming quite popular again. Times are tough right now, but they will prevail...hopefully.