Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Posts Record Sales and Profits

trust I love Seaworld. I do wish the best for them. I was just commenting more or how fast things like this can spiral out of someone's control. all parks have that moment of imminent doom until something brings them back up. I agree with you Kraken, i hope they can come up with another project along with the Blue World that will bring them back up. The article commented about the pressure from Disney and Uni, Seaworld just needs to bring out something that only that can do best, such as a Manta.

They need a miracle. Luckily, Shamu's Christmas Miracles starts playing this weekend.

I wonder what ever happened to the Intamin MegaLite rumors...?
Who knows. But I tend to believe the rumors about a B&M Wing coaster a little more simply because of SWO's previous choices of unique coaster varieties(a floorless and a flying). Regardless of what they choose, something is desperately needed. With the Blue World Project being many moons away(rumors speculate a 2020 opening), SeaWorld needs at least one new major attraction in the meantime. A well-themed coaster/queue with an immersing animal exhibit similar to Manta could help. In regards to improving in-park spending, the only thing I can recommend is more food options. I really would love to see the Key West area better themed to actual Key West. A replica of Duval Street with one or two restaurants would be pretty cool. I think a Sloppy Joe's or Hog's Breath could do well in Orlando. They'd also improve merchandise sales too. I have faith SeaWorld will land on their feet from this rough year.

There are a few things that could help turn SeaWorld around IMO

1. Brining in a Intellectual Property and basing a land or attraction around it
2. Large Coaster (Think Giga)
3. Increased Wages for Employees, Moral Boost, Extended Training, and new Company Directives regarding Customer Service
4. New Hard Ticket Events to Drive Profits
5. New Ticket Structure Making it more affordable for families to visit Discovery Cove if all 3 are purchased together

This is just a cluster of ideas that SeaWorld could utilize to bring in crowds. The idea of signing and brining in a IP is a no brainer as it would offer unique attractions, merchandise, and even food and beverage options. The employee wage / training situation is an attempt to increase moral and offer greater customer service. Universal just a few years ago didn't have anywhere near as good of customer service as it does these days. Is it perfect no but its much improved. With that being said SWO could benefit from a customer service blitz to capture guests needs and wants better. Improved service and attitude gives the customer a reason to return along with its new attractions. The Hard ticket idea is again a no brainer and is something SWO misses the boat on completely.

It bothers me that they continue to cite and use Blackfish as an excuse for continued poor park performance. Sure, that had some affect, but as HTF listed, there are A LOT of problems at the SW parks and a lot of it starts from disgruntled employees due to lack of pay and poor job security as well as the lack of any in park IPs (or rides/lands tied to IPs). They have a Sesame Street land and Madagascar stage show in Tampa, both would be easy to use for something to increase attendance in 2015.

It bothers me that they continue to cite and use Blackfish as an excuse for continued poor park performance. Sure, that had some affect, but as HTF listed, there are A LOT of problems at the SW parks and a lot of it starts from disgruntled employees due to lack of pay and poor job security as well as the lack of any in park IPs (or rides/lands tied to IPs). They have a Sesame Street land and Madagascar stage show in Tampa, both would be easy to use for something to increase attendance in 2015.
I strongly agree. Take a look at BGW and the huge problems since Blackstone took over. There's no Blackfish excuse there (no Orca's in those hills), and the park was going downhill before the film anyway. Their AP base is very unhappy in Virginia.

Agreed, blackstone is the problem, not blackfish. I went yesterday and was sad to see the state, only two rides were open when the park opened (manta and antarctica). Journey to Atlantis was down for technical difficulties, Kraken was scheduled to open at 10 but never did so because of technical difficulties (wasp nest or something like that on lift hill). A lot of peeling paint also on the floor in front of manta's lifthill and half the stuff in Journey to Atlantis is not working ...

Agreed, blackstone is the problem, not blackfish. I went yesterday and was sad to see the state, only two rides were open when the park opened (manta and antarctica). Journey to Atlantis was down for technical difficulties, Kraken was scheduled to open at 10 but never did so because of technical difficulties (wasp nest or something like that on lift hill). A lot of peeling paint also on the floor in front of manta's lifthill and half the stuff in Journey to Atlantis is not working ...

Sad, as Kraken is one of my favorite coasters...and JTA has been a mess for years unfortunately...it seems all of the Sea World parks are suffering..I mean besides Falcon's Fury what big huge attraction has come in the last few years..I'm with everyone else, although it didn't help Blackfish is not the sole reason for the decline..

There are a few things that could help turn SeaWorld around IMO

1. Brining in a Intellectual Property and basing a land or attraction around it
2. Large Coaster (Think Giga)
3. Increased Wages for Employees, Moral Boost, Extended Training, and new Company Directives regarding Customer Service
4. New Hard Ticket Events to Drive Profits
5. New Ticket Structure Making it more affordable for families to visit Discovery Cove if all 3 are purchased together

This is just a cluster of ideas that SeaWorld could utilize to bring in crowds. The idea of signing and brining in a IP is a no brainer as it would offer unique attractions, merchandise, and even food and beverage options. The employee wage / training situation is an attempt to increase moral and offer greater customer service. Universal just a few years ago didn't have anywhere near as good of customer service as it does these days. Is it perfect no but its much improved. With that being said SWO could benefit from a customer service blitz to capture guests needs and wants better. Improved service and attitude gives the customer a reason to return along with its new attractions. The Hard ticket idea is again a no brainer and is something SWO misses the boat on completely.

What kind of IPs can SeaWorld realistically bring though? I know BG has some Madagascar related show, so maybe SeaWorld can do something with the Penguins of Madagascar but I don't see that being a major draw for crowds.

What kind of IPs can SeaWorld realistically bring though? I know BG has some Madagascar related show, so maybe SeaWorld can do something with the Penguins of Madagascar but I don't see that being a major draw for crowds.
Anything would help at this point. Sea World is in a heap of trouble. It's almost inevitable that the parks will be sold off imo, at least some of them. Maybe the BGT parks (and their water parks) to Six Flags or Cedar Fair for a start? Part of the problem is they operate 11 different parks. By eliminating Both BG's and their associated water park, that brings things down to 7 parks, which means more available spending for their most visited parks.

I know a lot of people dislike BGT (compared to BGW), but it's gotten the most love out of all SW parks in recent years imo, and even then they still struggle. All of their events are on the tightest of budgets. The process they use to construct the HOS houses and zones is akin to the type of cost saving methods community theaters use. Actually, I know of some Community theatre companies in the Tampa area that spend more on set pieces for shows than BGT does on Howl-O-Scream. And they pay actors bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:
Anything would help at this point. Sea World is in a heap of trouble. It's almost inevitable that the parks will be sold off imo, at least some of them. Maybe the BGT parks (and their water parks) to Six Flags or Cedar Fair for a start? Part of the problem is they operate 11 different parks. By eliminating Both BG's and their associated water park, that brings things down to 7 parks, which means more available spending for their most visited parks.

I know a lot of people dislike BGT (compared to BGW), but it's gotten the most love out of all SW parks in recent years imo, and even then they still struggle. All of their events are on the tightest of budgets. The process they use to construct the HOS houses and zones is akin to the type of cost saving methods community theaters use. Actually, I know of some Community theatre companies in the Tampa area that spend more on set pieces for shows than BGT does on Howl-O-Scream. And they pay actors bottom of the barrel.

I agree anything would help, but I honestly don't think SeaWorld would bring in any IPs that don't fit anything ocean/aquatic related somehow

Last edited:
I have to think that while all the theme park world is here in Orlando, there are plenty of discussions going on behind closed doors about mergers and acquisitions.

I have to think that while all the theme park world is here in Orlando, there are plenty of discussions going on behind closed doors about mergers and acquisitions.
Yeah. The obvious thought to me would be for them to sell off the Busch Gardens brand - Preferably to Cedar Fair since they know how to manage and run a park. Matt Ouimet could get them back on track (and tbh, the BG parks aren't nearly in as bad of shape as the SW parks).

I prefer Cedar Fair buying all the parks, and not just BG.

As much as I love SeaWorld, there's no denying it's reputation has been unfortunately tarnished due to the Blackfish drama. With that said, I question what IP would be willing to attach itself to SeaWorld at the current moment without fear of media backlash?

I prefer Cedar Fair buying all the parks, and not just BG.

As much as I love SeaWorld, there's no denying it's reputation has been unfortunately tarnished due to the Blackfish drama. With that said, I question what IP would be willing to attach itself to SeaWorld at the current moment without fear of media backlash?
Honestly, they could probably get the parks for a steal at this point, but Cedar Fair already runs so many parks, to take on 11 more would seem to be a bit much.

Honestly, they could probably get the parks for a steal at this point, but Cedar Fair already runs so many parks, to take on 11 more would seem to be a bit much.
You're absolutely right. Taking on 11 additional parks would be a massive task. But the opportunity to finally have a stake in the Orlando market would make it a little more enticing.

As bad as things are for SW, I only see them getting worse. As far as I know, they have nothing under construction other than a new sea lion show (how can that take so long? I assume the tricks are basically the same, just a new script and backdrop). But by next year, a combo Sea Life/Orlando Eye/Tussaud's ticket will probably be less than a SW ticket, presenting more direct competition for tourists' vacation days. Meanwhile Kong and a new water park that may challenge Aquatica are coming in 2016, further cementing Universal's hold on I-Drive crowds. Hell, they cut one of the parks main draws, the polar bears, replacing them with seals.

The thing about employee morale--it used to be great before the Busch sale. SW employees were easily the happiest theme park employees in Orlando, quick to talk up their park. Blackfish has put them on the defensive. They still defend the company but I can see the constant barrage getting to them. One friend inadvertently became a star in a PETA activist's online video; she kept her cool but later admitted the activist was basically badgering her trying to get her to slip up. Another friend got accosted in PetSmart last week, buying food for the half dozen animals she's adopted, because she had her staff shirt on. That pestering, combined with the fact everyone knows "there was no Summer" in 2014 crowd-wise, has really done a number on employee attitudes.