Disney Springs Discussion | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Springs Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I like the water tower fits the theme.

Planet Hollywood unveils redesign for Disney Springs

The observatory part with the skies seem interesting.

The restaurant and lounge will continue to feature Hollywood props and costumes, but the interior will be changed to feature a high-tech planetarium with stars and constellations on the ceiling, Earl said.

"It's going to be dine amongst the stars," Earl said.

The projectors and video screens also will be able to play Hollywood movie features to continue the restaurant's original premise.

Last edited:
They seem to be using the Earful Tower mostly:

Disney-Hollywood-studios-hat-demolition-4-620x336.jpg

My husband and I ventured to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs last night, and the last time we were there Splitsville wasn't open, and the parking garage hadn't even broken ground, so it's been a while. Some thoughts:
Getting in and out of DD is STILL a nightmare, and in fact, I think even worse than before, although we did not have a problem parking. We were in the lot behind Cirque du Soleil and House of Blues. Leaving the area and getting back onto I4 was also backed up, but whatever, Disney is Disney and it was a lovely Saturday night and the place was packed.

That's the other complaint, and nothing to be done about it-it was PACKED! I think all the construction walls didn't help matters, but my goodness, that's a lot of people. I have certainly been to DD when it hasn't been crowded, but typically it is earlier in the day (it was about 6:30-ish when we arrived).

Despite all the construction walls, I really enjoyed our visit, and I have never been a big fan of the area, mostly because it was too "Disney". Now, there are lots of stores that don't sell Disney merchandise (Havianas, a Sunglass Hut division, quite a few others), so that's nice, and I liked that a few more bars have been added, even though that kind of isn't my thing, but it's nice to have something a bit more adult there, and I liked the assortment of restaurants, and we never made it past T-Rex. OK, so maybe there hasn't been a lot of restaurants added, but I liked what was there, we found several places suitable to eat for us (T-Rex was not one of them), and ended up having a lovely meal on the waterside patio at Portobello Yacht Club. Service could have been a bit quicker, and although our waiter was pleasant, I think something was lost in translation, because he didn't always understand what we wanted and we had to point it out. Took a while for our salad and pizza to arrive, but both were delicious, and I loved that they offer 3 different wine flights.

I loved all the live entertainment! There was a string quartet playing between Portobello and Fulton's, a Spanish guitarist by Starbucks, and a guitarist/singer in another spot. This really added to the atmosphere, making the area a lot more lively than it was before.

So yeah, we'll go back again, and more often, for a change of pace. Maybe next time we'll venture past T-Rex, and ride one of the amphicars.

The new parking garage is your best friend. I've parked in that garage every time i've been since it opened and it's been absolutely hassle free. Construction is coming along nicely and i think it's gonna look really nice when it's 100% done! :ears:

So yeah, we'll go back again, and more often, for a change of pace. Maybe next time we'll venture past T-Rex, and ride one of the amphicars.

Might want to do that soon. Hearing that might not last much longer. Constant breakdowns + tons of staffing + not many people riding.

Might want to do that soon. Hearing that might not last much longer. Constant breakdowns + tons of staffing + not many people riding.

Those silly amphicars? I cannot imagine why folks wouldn't find that tacky 1960's tech appealing. I think a 1960's Chris Craft Cruiser would be more popular, very Kennedy and On Golden Pond.

I think one of the problems is that the amphicar ride is $125:jaw: I could see maybe, maybe $25pp, but that price is ridiculous.

As an out of country tourist, I probably would pay to do this, at 43 quid each I'd pay more for a cruise on the smelly Thames!

Is Disney too expensive? Not until people stop showing up. But the opposite is true. Look at their overcrowding issues--they actually might be too affordable. Great article.

The problem I have with this argument is Sports and concerts are perishables, it happens once and never again. Even if there are more games our tour dates THAT show our experience will never be replicated. While a theme park can benefit from having controlled and experiences that cycle, it must be priced as such. I find theme parks more comparable to movies than anything else.

The problem I have with this argument is Sports and concerts are perishables, it happens once and never again. Even if there are more games our tour dates THAT show our experience will never be replicated. While a theme park can benefit from having controlled and experiences that cycle, it must be priced as such. I find theme parks more comparable to movies than anything else.

Isn't it also true that the vast majority of people who will visit WDW will only do so once in their life? With that perspective, it too is perishable.

Isn't it also true that the vast majority of people who will visit WDW will only do so once in their life? With that perspective, it too is perishable.

I would say they visit twice. One as a kid then once when they have kids. But essentially Disney is selling a once in a lifetime experience to most.

It's a tricky thing to compare seats to a day at a theme park.

With a concert, you have the option to get what you pay for. Can't afford it, you get nosebleed. Want that special experience? You get front row.

With a theme park, it's 1 price across the board. MK is the front row experience, with DHS being nosebleed - but you are paying the same price.

Either way, this is the thread about Disney Springs so, price discussion should go elsewhere. :lol: