Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm just like "Do y'all even game?" lol.

This is going to be a raving success. Look at MegaCon. Can you imagine Universal adding gaming-based Universal Cool! from Japan to their seasonal lineup? You underestimate the number of nerds out there. Every gaming and technology network is posting about this. This is the first time a leading international theme park name acquires a gaming network. This will be epic and just as groundbreaking as - if not more than - Kong. Imagine Microsoft HoloLens augmenting gameplay characters onto a dark ride's visuals. Imagine sound-based vision-less gaming experiences for the visual impaired. A downloadable gaming app that connects with your corresponding attraction and allows you to play a small user-ranked demo while you wait in line.

But I'll just shut up now since I ain't in UC yet and I can't be giving any ideas until they recognize me for it. :rolleyes:

Not sure if some of you knew. Nintendo has not been doing well as a company. So much so that their allowing another company to develop games for smartphones based on their properties. So this deal with a Universal was a step in them staying relevant/rebranding their Image.

Anyone think the second screen technology. Universal used on DA's construction walls might come into play. I'm also leaning towards a "Star Tours" type attraction but with Mario Kart. Easiest way to tour throughout Nintendo worlds without building so much.

Universal didn't "acquire" anything. Nintendo partnered with Universal. Nintendo is for sure going to have a lot of say in whats going in and whats not going in. I'm dreaming of a lot of things too, but lets keep it real.

What age group are Nintendo games aimed at?

Nintendo is generally aimed at all ages, basically. None of their internal developers have developed M-Rated games. The most intense they'll ever be are T-Rated titles, like Metroid or Fire Emblem games, the latter technically developed by Intelligent Systems.

Though, over the years, they have published more mature games produced by other companies, such as Conker's Bad Fur Day, Eternal Darkness, and more recently Bayonetta 2, which were developed by Rareware, Silicon Knights, and Platinum Games respectively.

Last edited:
Kids, pre-teens and adults, I'd say.

There's definitely a nostalgia thing to it for adults today. It's the games they grew up with.

Yeah I'm an adult but still prefer Nintendo to Xbox and Playstation. From time to time I even take out my Super Nintendo and N64 and play them. I think anyone that grew up in the 90s will have a soft spot for Nintendo into adulthood as opposed to preteens now who grew up in an era where games like Call of Duty dominated the generation

What age group are Nintendo games aimed at?

Basically anyone who grew up in the 80's up through today. The Nostalgia factor is through the roof for people in their 30's. And its still huge with kids of today as well. Its an IP that will draw in both males and females alike.

Yeah I'm an adult but still prefer Nintendo to Xbox and Playstation. From time to time I even take out my Super Nintendo and N64 and play them. I think anyone that grew up in the 90s will have a soft spot for Nintendo into adulthood as opposed to preteens now who grew up in an era where games like Call of Duty dominated the generation

I barely grew up with Nintendo, I wish I had that sense of nostalgia, but I get it with Sega. It's what I grew up playing more than anything. Though, now when I see a N64 I play it and have a great time. Can't wait to see what UC is gonna do.

It was the best selling nintendo game of last year outselling all of the Mario games. It made 2 Billion dollars for the Nintendo company...no one is overreaching when it comes to Pokemon in popularity. Even the cartoons are still popular to this day after 17 years of being on the air, they still show new ones on Cartoon Network

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ifetime_series_game_sales_at_over_270_million

I'm not saying it's not super popular, but to say it's more well-known than Mario is one heck of a stretch.

Characters and properties to keep an eye on IMO...

Mario and Luigi
Princess Toadstool
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Metroid
Link and Princess Zelda
Pokemon

Good list, but I don't see Metroid happening. Metroid has never really been a big seller.

During the Parkscope recording last night (which featured Drew from OU, hope you all listen when it comes out Saturday) I theorized we'll see 3 main properties featured first: Mario, Pokémon, and Donkey Kong. If it's a Potter-like smash hit, I think we could see a large expansion themed to Legend of Zelda.

- - - Updated - - -

considering Wreck it Ralph had Nintendo characters (not Mario of course, way too expensive)...I always assumed that Disney would be the one to shell out the cash for Nintendo in their theme parks if they decided to make a Wreck it Ralph ride...guess not.

I don't think any of the "nintendo" rides will be thrilling. I mean maybe, CiTH level of thrill. I just think this is a great IP for the much needed "kid" section of the park. As I have discussed many times, UOR and IOA are really in need of a state of the art "kids" area, that will appeal to all ages. Nintendo was a good choice.

Like Teebin, the Nintendo stuff isn't my thing & doesn't really interest me. But it sure looks like you're all pretty much enthused by it, so I'm happy for you Nintendo fans. But, from all the indications that the insiders & Universal has put out the last few years, I would guess that these will be "family level" attractions. I don't think Universal is interested in the pure kids ride stuff. That would be Disney territory with their rumored Toy Story land in DHS that will probably be little kids rides like those lands in Paris & Hong Kong. I don't think Universal is really interested in the double stroller demographic. They are skewing towards family in addition to their regular teenage & young adult demographic, but not the real little tykes.

In all honesty what does Universal have to lose if they did decide to start going after the toddler demographic? They have the adult and teens covered and all it would do would chip more families with little ones away from Disney

These will not be "kiddy" attractions. These will be family attractions. Think the difference between Barnstormer and SDMT/BTMRR.

If this is a success; Zelda would be the safe-bet. I really am interested to see what they can do with Donkey Kong, especially with the Mine Train levels. It can possibly give Disney a run of its money if they do that right.

My one fear, as seen already on this thread, is that so many people have different ideas of what they want in a Nintendo themed land, meaning some people will be disappointed with what they ultimately decide to do. I really can't see them doing mini lands in the space of Kidzone as it would be fairly cramped, unless they only included a few (like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon).

I still would prefer this to take over from Toon Lagoon, because there is more land to work with and the main characters there (Popeye, Dudley Doo Right) will not be too well known in twenty years.

You say that but I've seen things I thought dead come back. All someone has to do is take a renewed interest and recycle it in Hollywood.

Quite frankly, I'm shocked that Looney Tunes is kinda just sitting there collecting dust for the most part media wise.

I always though there was a at least a land for a theme park based on popular toys. I mean a coaster based on Hot Wheels is a no brainer as is a foam ball factory based on Nerf. We've seen what Lego has done.

Last edited:
Good list, but I don't see Metroid happening. Metroid has never really been a big seller.

During the Parkscope recording last night (which featured Drew from OU, hope you all listen when it comes out Saturday) I theorized we'll see 3 main properties featured first: Mario, Pokémon, and Donkey Kong. If it's a Potter-like smash hit, I think we could see a large expansion themed to Legend of Zelda.

Agree 100%.

For the size of KidZone + expansion plots, the "IOA land formula" would work well. A land of three mini-lands, like Lost Continent with the Lost City, Sindbad's Bazaar, and Merlinwood (formerly), or MSHI with Banner Science Park, Stan Lee Blvd, and Yancy Street.

So "Nintendo Land" would really be three lands: Mushroom Kingdom, Pokemon Village, and Donkey Kong Country.

Dosent really mean anything but Wednesday when I was at the parks before the announcement on thursday I heared acouple of Universal people talking about donkey kong. Gotta think he will be used in some way.