Back to the Future... The Return? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Back to the Future... The Return?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think the strength of a theme park is to build new worlds. Sure you destroy the old ones but the memory makes it even more sweeter then it actualy was and that is great.
I love my memories of Jaws, King Kong and (a bit lesser because I Always got sick in it) Back to the Future but it's great I can create new memories from Simpsons, Mummy and Potter. Sure people miss out but it's like real life, when you are to late to the party it might be over but there will Always start a new party.
If theme parks would keep all their old rides it would become a museum and that is not what theme parks are about.

I think the strength of a theme park is to build new worlds. Sure you destroy the old ones but the memory makes it even more sweeter then it actualy was and that is great.
I love my memories of Jaws, King Kong and (a bit lesser because I Always got sick in it) Back to the Future but it's great I can create new memories from Simpsons, Mummy and Potter. Sure people miss out but it's like real life, when you are to late to the party it might be over but there will Always start a new party.
If theme parks would keep all their old rides it would become a museum and that is not what theme parks are about.
But that does not mean they shouldn't make a new Kong ride :wave:

I have to totally disagree here. Especially if there's still space available to build new worlds while keeping the old ones. Yes, sometimes it works out in the long run: we wouldn't be getting a new Kong ride if the old one were still around. But new is not always better than old coughEpcotcough. Some rides are a parks Legacy, and should be preserved, so that people who loves them as children can share those memories with their own kids. Imagine if Disney did away with Haunted Mansion or Pirates? Every park should have its legacy opening day attractions and hang on to them. Sure plus them up every so often with new tech, but don't demolish, especially if there's still a big empty lot on your property waiting for expansion.

Btw, I'd LOVE a museum park full of old extinct rides. Rides, especially heavily themed rides, are art, very expensive art. Art must be preserved.

I mostly agree with you. One of the roles of a theme park is to create new attractions that will catch the eyes of new visitors. But, I think every theme park should try to preserve their old attractions or revamp them so they can keep bringing the same visitors back including new ones as well.

Look at Magic Kingdom for example, it's the most visited theme park in the world and its most popular attractions are classics (Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, etc).

I get it, people are afraid of change and sure we got burned with every pavilion that was touched by "imaginering" at Epcot. A bad job is a bad job. Non of the current rides there should exist anyway.
But even Magic Kingdom should be flatened if it was up to me. Imagin the new castle with a ride in it and a dungeon with a dragin in there and projection fountains in front of it, a Haunted Mansion with trackless ride system and a Space Mountain that is actualy a cool rollercoaster and not the neck snapper it is now.
And trust me kids will create their own new experiances. For as good as the first 3 Star Wars movies where to us, they like the last 3 better. I know it's horrible and they have their own ewoks (Jar Jar) but it's what it is.
Keeping stuff the same or Johny Depp it up is not Always a great choise.

Since Jurassic World has made 1 billion dollars in over a week and a half and has received warm reviews by even the strictest of fans, I wonder if it will give them a sort of confidence or motivation to explore making reboots for other franchises if Spielberg has some form of involvement in each of them?

Reactions: martymcflyy85
Back to the Future was made with a clause in it that Universal cannot make prequels or sequels (or essentially "reboot" or "remake") the franchise again without director/co-writer Robert Zemeckis' and producer/co-writer Bob Gale's explicit permission. In the current BTTF trilogy I have on BluRay, Bob Gale talks about that in the special features and makes it pretty clear that they have no intentions of remaking their masterpieces. Until both of those guys pass away, I don't think you'll be seeing much in terms of a BTTF remake. And until there's a remake, I doubt you'll be seeing any new BTTF attractions. My $0.02.

But who wouldn't kill to have a BTTF coaster or another updated attraction?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon84
Back to the Future was made with a clause in it that Universal cannot make prequels or sequels (or essentially "reboot" or "remake") the franchise again without director/co-writer Robert Zemeckis' and producer/co-writer Bob Gale's explicit permission. In the current BTTF trilogy I have on BluRay, Bob Gale talks about that in the special features and makes it pretty clear that they have no intentions of remaking their masterpieces. Until both of those guys pass away, I don't think you'll be seeing much in terms of a BTTF remake. And until there's a remake, I doubt you'll be seeing any new BTTF attractions. My $0.02.

The combination of Test Track and Dinosaur with BTTF theme, is probably my dream attraction. With all the money Universal has to spend it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. The film is a CLASSIC. And would no doubt be a hit int he parks. If Kong can come back as a new updated ride, i don't see any reason why BTTF couldn't. I mean not too long ago we were dreaming of a day Kong came back and look where we are heading. Bring it Back to the Future Universal! ..See what i did there?

The combination of Test Track and Dinosaur with BTTF theme, is probably my dream attraction. With all the money Universal has to spend it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. The film is a CLASSIC. And would no doubt be a hit int he parks. If Kong can come back as a new updated ride, i don't see any reason why BTTF couldn't. I mean not too long ago we were dreaming of a day Kong came back and look where we are heading. Bring it Back to the Future Universal! ..See what i did there?
Universal was certainly in a different financial state in 2008...I can't blame them for chasing after something else..

I think if Kong is a success (which I'm sure it will be)..we will see some reboots across the parks

I'm all for bringing the new Gen of BTTF the ride. Maybe I missed something but I thought there would not be a BTTF4. Kong was different because they reboot the movie in the new millenium, plus no major characters. So I guess a tour through Skull Island sounds acceptable, but a new BTTF ride without Marty and Doc talking to us during a pre-show sounds hard to swallow, but hey if they are going to reboot the movie or do an amaizing CGI job on the pre-show, then two thumbs up on this idea.

I didn't get why they were bringing Kong back now. The Peter Jackson remake was released almost 10 years ago. But then I thought about it and realized that the original attraction closed two years before the remake so it would've been kind of pointless. :lol:

Are you suggesting someone kill Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale? :what:

If I had an abandoned library that had an old chalkboard I could explain it better, but long story short the original trilogy would not have been made. So I am at least 2/3 against this plan :thumbsup:
...and the ride would not have existed either...who knows what film would have taken its place...

Reactions: Frogki