Are Shows Universal? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Are Shows Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Regardless, shows make for a much more well-rounded day at the theme park. And there's a real after-lunch problem at the Universal parks anyway. After you've scarfed down a chicken and waffle sandwich at Krustyland, or a full meal at Mythos, it's not like we have any boat rides or omnimovers to relax on. A good show will definitely help.

Generally, Universal doesn't seem to be very good at writing shows... the only truly excellent seated offering they have is the Horror Makeup Show, and that's largely been the same script retooled and ad-libbed for over a decade plus. Celestina and Tales are steps in the right direction, but like Blues Brothers, they're diversions at best, not destinations (i.e. anything with a dedicated theater).

The new Beetlejuice revamp is rough. Fear Factor is lame. Poseidon's Fury v2.0 is still clunky. Sinbad (which they had a chance to revisit!) is heinous, borderline regional park in execution.

I'd love it if Universal really put some effort into creating new permanent shows in its lineup, but they just don't seem to be very good at it.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Animal Actors is also very good, though that show's one of a kind for the resort and doesn't really require much "writing."

Seriously, why does everyone always seem to forget about or overlook Terminator? It's a great show in my opinion. Probably my favorite in the park - followed by Horror Makeup and Beetlejuice.

Reactions: tielo
Look's like Universal is working on a new show! From the audition website:

Universal Orlando® is seeking bold, dynamic, and dexterous Drummers and Percussionists with athletic builds for a new entertainment offering at Universal Studios Florida® .

Audition will consist of improvisational drumming/percussion and playing written music. Candidates should bring a set of drumsticks and wear shoes and clothing for athletic movement during the audition.

Callbacks will be held later the same day and consist of a group performance and reading from a script.

Candidates must have availability from mid-August to the beginning of September for rehearsals and be able to perform outside.

Look's like Universal is working on a new show! From the audition website:

Universal Orlando® is seeking bold, dynamic, and dexterous Drummers and Percussionists with athletic builds for a new entertainment offering at Universal Studios Florida® .

Audition will consist of improvisational drumming/percussion and playing written music. Candidates should bring a set of drumsticks and wear shoes and clothing for athletic movement during the audition.

Callbacks will be held later the same day and consist of a group performance and reading from a script.

Candidates must have availability from mid-August to the beginning of September for rehearsals and be able to perform outside.
Has to be for HHN.

For whoever says Universal is not great at writing shows.. maybe their local Entertainment department.. but they don't need to use them. They have an incredible arsenal of already established shows plus properties that can inspire great stage shows. Universal IS behind Broadway musicals like Wicked, Billy Elliott, Side Show, Bring It On, etc. They can port any of those over.

What do they do behind the scenes, I know they own the Decca label that releases the soundtracks but I'm finding it difficult to see what else they own or do? I'm just interested :)

theyre amazing at streetshows....thats it. As alot said above, the behind the scenes shows (while classic) should be dead in the water. We need more show shows like beetlejuice and horror make up. I don't think we will see anything anytime soon but here's hoping

This sounds way too much like Death Drums. It would be nice if they attached them to the front and back of the parades.

I saw Teebin had posted about a new balancing act/troupe or something at IOA, my assumption would be that this is something along those lines 'cept with drummers

I'm thinking this is for New York. I could imagine construction workers on a construction site doing sort of a stomp style show with unconventional instruments.

I think what we're getting here is much larger and more interesting than that. Much more of a permanent location with a possible set being built.