Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

All Nite Die-In: Double Feature

Jan 22, 2008
Orlando, FL
Last but certainly not least is a double feature of horror at The Carey DrIvE IN movie theatre. Wander down the streets of San Francisco and you’ll come across this theatre that has been named “DIE IN”, due to the gruesome murders that occurred. Enter if you dare…

Thoughts? Opinions? Predictions? All “All Nite Die-In: Double Feature“ discussion goes here.

Happy for this one too, always loved the original die in zone. Tons of fun with great references thrown in. Here's hoping to more great costumes, gags and fun theming

These are my guesses for the monsters/slashers:

Black and White
Wolfman
Dracula
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Mummy
Phantom of the Opera
Creature from the Black Lagoon

Color
Chucky
Some version of The Thing
Michael Myers
Leatherface
Carrie
Maybe a Pigman from Saw?

Not sure I'd expect Jason and Freddy to be outside of their house, but who knows.

These are my guesses for the monsters/slashers:

Black and White
Wolfman
Dracula
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Mummy
Phantom of the Opera
Creature from the Black Lagoon

Color
Chucky
Some version of The Thing
Michael Myers
Leatherface
Carrie
Maybe a Pigman from Saw?

Not sure I'd expect Jason and Freddy to be outside of their house, but who knows.

To Black and White, I'd add at least one or two of Dracula's wives as well as Nosferatu and Norman Bates. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Romero-era zombie or three to flesh out the cast (remember, you need around 15 minimum).

As for Color, remember they probably aren't going to license iconic characters they don't own. So I wouldn't expect Myers, Leatherface, Carrie or Pigman - instead expect Mary Shaw, The Strangers, My Bloody Valentine's miner, maybe the 2009 Wolfman, the Drag Me to Hell witch, and so on. Chucky and The Thing are almost certainly going to show up though.

As for Color, remember they probably aren't going to license iconic characters they don't own. So I wouldn't expect Myers, Leatherface, Carrie or Pigman - instead expect Mary Shaw, The Strangers, My Bloody Valentine's miner, maybe the 2009 Wolfman, the Drag Me to Hell witch, and so on. Chucky and The Thing are almost certainly going to show up though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but havent they used those kinds of characters before in All Nite Die-Ins? I thought as long as they aren't used to market the event they can get away with using them

Correct me if I'm wrong, but havent they used those kinds of characters before in All Nite Die-Ins? I thought as long as they aren't used to market the event they can get away with using them

That was back in the "ye olde" era of the event before they really worked with outside IPs at all. It's much easier to get away with it in a house setting because there's almost no photography - and even then, they've gotten in trouble (specifically in 2006 with Samara/The Ring). In a street, people are going to be able to take pictures constantly, and because Universal has now worked with so many IP holders, they can't really just pay for them one time and not pay the next... open and shut cause for complaint.

To help illustrate the point, in 2009 they were really close to licensing Army of Darkness, but it fell through. They had to scrap the street dedicated to the concept but were able to keep the scene in the Silver Screams house, relabeling the scene as "Evil Medieval."

So in short... you *might* get away with a Myers or Leatherface lookalike in a house, but not in a street where there are cameras everywhere.

Can someone explain how this will work? I am ignorant of the previous iteration.
Since you enter the theater, is it inside somehow or is it something of a facade you walk through on the streets?
I'm assuming there is a rotation between color and black & white theming?
Does this tie in theming/story or location wise to the Mel's Drive-In lighting change to "Mel's Die-In"?
Thanks!

Can someone explain how this will work? I am ignorant of the previous iteration.
Since you enter the theater, is it inside somehow or is it something of a facade you walk through on the streets?
I'm assuming there is a rotation between color and black & white theming?
Does this tie in theming/story or location wise to the Mel's Drive-In lighting change to "Mel's Die-In"?
Thanks!

It will be similar to this in a way:

Just have more of a connection to the Director. Also the scarezone will be located near Disaster, so it will have nothing to do with Mel's.

Ok, cool, I get the setup. Kind of lightly simulating the theater in an open space. Thanks for the video!

Also awesome is that the sidebar linked to other videos of old scarehouses. I think its a good time to do some research since there are so many throwback references I certainly won't get this year as HHN 24 was my first.

To those who aren't familiar with HHN scarezone setups: that tower is for the projector onto the screen across the street. When they did projectors in NY a few years back, they didn't really bother to theme them, so it's nice they're going the extra mile here and turning it into (what appears to be) a concession stand.

That's super cool, wonder what it'll project. The concession stand also looks neat, the my bloody valentine one back in 09 was a perfect photo op, hope that gets the same treatment. Still unsure about the black and white aspect, I'm sorry but in this day and age the classic monsters aren't scary whatsoever, they're gonna have to do a lot to make anything Black and white scary

To those who aren't familiar with HHN scarezone setups: that tower is for the projector onto the screen across the street. When they did projectors in NY a few years back, they didn't really bother to theme them, so it's nice they're going the extra mile here and turning it into (what appears to be) a concession stand.

HHN 19 had a similar set up for their drive-in zone. The Miner from My Bloody Valentine would hide out in the stand a lot.

That's super cool, wonder what it'll project. The concession stand also looks neat, the my bloody valentine one back in 09 was a perfect photo op, hope that gets the same treatment. Still unsure about the black and white aspect, I'm sorry but in this day and age the classic monsters aren't scary whatsoever, they're gonna have to do a lot to make anything Black and white scary

The Classic Monsters does not mean the 1930's incarnations of them. It could be 2009's versions from the event.

That's super cool, wonder what it'll project.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say movie clips.

The concession stand also looks neat, the my bloody valentine one back in 09 was a perfect photo op, hope that gets the same treatment. Still unsure about the black and white aspect, I'm sorry but in this day and age the classic monsters aren't scary whatsoever, they're gonna have to do a lot to make anything Black and white scary

No movie monster is scary. Especially when you know it's a college kid in a rubber suit. Scares in these venues are all about creative use of space, sounds, and surprise.

I would suspect both the black and white *and* colorized versions of the classic monsters will appear - the latter being, as BriMan mentioned, the 2009 incarnations of the characters. Add in a few specific to each era (Nosferatu, Norman Bates vs. Chucky, Tiffany), and you've got a pretty great zone.