Are Shows Universal? | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Are Shows Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I saw the truck show yesterday, actually the same show that @BriMan saw. They had a good flow, and they had 4 entertaining segments that they did. First segment was "show me what you got"- during this everyone holds up an item and they rap about it (I got them to rap about Disaster). Then they do a "What's your name" segment where they have a song playing and they go around, ask everyone's name and make a short rap segment about them. The third segment is where they bring up a guy, talk to him about his favorite hobbies, favorite ride and such, then sing a song about him. The final segment is dancing where they bring up 5 volunteers to have dance, then they freeze the music and rap about the position that they froze in. Overall, very entertaining show.

My ranks-
Beat Builders
Food Truck
Sing It

Reasons-
Beat Builders- I loved this show. They had cool audience participation, and good music. Very impressed.

Food truck- Unique show, extremely entertaining. The performers I had were all very good.

Sing It- Compared to the other 2 shows, this one is so basic and generic. Wasn't a huge fan.

Reactions: Brian G.
The show Saturday (the one Andy and all of us saw) was not good. Sounded very "scripted". The performers who were out yesterday were a lot more comfortable and engaged with the crowd better.

I'm glad the streets are getting entertainment, but I'm not just gonna settle for it either. The Food Truck DOES need work, but it can work if they get it together.
I recorded video of the one we saw yesterday, I'll try to get around to posting it up somewhere. The only downside is I still suck terribly with the GoPro and it looks like I was way too far away. Since I only had my ever so trendy vest, I either had to be really close with chance of someone blocking me or getting called on or have the video look like I'm a million miles away. Hopefully I'll be surprised when I actually get it on the youtubes

I saw the truck show yesterday, actually the same show that @BriMan saw. They had a good flow, and they had 4 entertaining segments that they did. First segment was "show me what you got"- during this everyone holds up an item and they rap about it (I got them to rap about Disaster).

That is the last piece of proof I need right there. They definitely have to be the same people that would rap at Downtown Disney in front of the food truck area. I've heard them do the "Open your Pockets" 100% sure and I'm pretty sure I've heard them do the "What's your name". Here is someones random youtube video from there.

I just watched part of the "Straight Outta Food Truck" show for the first time (I avoided it after hearing how bad it was).

I believe i've seen two different casts, however, the one with the two white guys perform at Downtown Disney (West side - ironically in the food truck area). Oddly, their show there is worlds better. The show is similar in a way, but Universal seems to have put them in a box and they don't have much to work with. At DTD they were able to actually freestyle in a surprisingly impressive manner.

I couldn't have been less impressed with the food truck show.

Beat Builders and Sing It are far superior and fit in perfect with the environment. In it's current form I can't see the food truck show lasting very long without a major overhaul.

And at the time, we thought they were Uni security spies... it all became so sensational to the underworld.

I have a friend that worked this. I can't speak for the others but he is definitely in entertainment.

I'm a professional in the Orlando theatre community. I can confirm that the food truck guys are the rappers at DTD. In fact, I went to high school with one of them. I also know most of the Sing It cast members and can tell you that they are currently at USH doing a workshop and taking that show over there. A bunch of them, including a majority of the Banshees, also make appearances in shows at Orlando Repertory Theatre and Orlando Shakes. If some of you are impressed by their performances come by and see them there.

I'm a professional in the Orlando theatre community. I can confirm that the food truck guys are the rappers at DTD. In fact, I went to high school with one of them. I also know most of the Sing It cast members and can tell you that they are currently at USH doing a workshop and taking that show over there. A bunch of them, including a majority of the Banshees, also make appearances in shows at Orlando Repertory Theatre and Orlando Shakes. If some of you are impressed by their performances come by and see them there.
Oh no doubt, just by the faces the Food truck guys are the DTD rappers. However, I feel they are actually much better at DTD for whatever reason. Maybe they are put on more of a script at Uni?

The "what you got" show is on the same level as DTD for me. I find them entertaining but also incredibly terrifying.

The "what you got" show is on the same level as DTD for me. I find them entertaining but also incredibly terrifying.
Even if this is the case, shouldn't an in-park show (one that is part of paid admission) be better than something that is free for all to see at DTD?

Even if this is the case, shouldn't an in-park show (one that is part of paid admission) be better than something that is free for all to see at DTD?
Same point could me made for movie previews and cool down area's that Disney has you paying for at their parks. But those previews and area's take actual attractions away while this shows are additional (or maybe replacing a ride that is closed to make place for something new.
I think the shows are fun and all have their own fans.

I had always thought the logical next step would be to put a Harry Potter show into the Fear Factor venue. If JK Rowling was on board, you'd have some great writing and there could be some great stage effects used. It would certainly chew up the crowds too.

I had always thought the logical next step would be to put a Harry Potter show into the Fear Factor venue. If JK Rowling was on board, you'd have some great writing and there could be some great stage effects used. It would certainly chew up the crowds too.
I think I remember reading that the Rowling contract prohibits show actors portraying the main characters . Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I remember reading that the Rowling contract prohibits show actors portraying the main characters . Correct me if I'm wrong.

I honestly couldn't say.

I did find this article by Jim Hill after a quick search on google though which was interesting:
Universal Orlando Went by the Book When Creating Live Shows for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Diagon Alley | Jim Hill

I've yet to visit Diagon Alley and I'm not a HP fan in the slightest but my wife is and at some point between now and visiting next year, I know I'll have to watch all the films and actually pay attention so I can appreciate it when I visit.