Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Issues Upgrading Tickets to Power Pass?

Sep 18, 2015
Bought a three day plus thursday hhn night ticket. I read on the forums that others have upgraded the ticket to a power pass at guest services. So I go over to upgrade and was told this isnt possible to do because I have the hhn add on.

Is this really the case? I would have had no problems buying the three day standalone to keep my options open and adding hhn later if I would have known this. I would find it very odd that there would be no way to apply the appropriate credit towards the power pass just because I bought an add on. Im fine paying whatever the difference is. Should I email l, try again, or am I doa?

It would be the difference of coming back before a year is up with a friend and just going to Disney if I have to buy tickets again anyway.

I think any ticket that has any sort of upgrade to it will not work. I've read that people that have the Wet N Wild add on ticket also are having the same issue. Also, the 2 day tickets with 3rd day free earlier this year also would not work. Sorry about that man.

I think any ticket that has any sort of upgrade to it will not work. I've read that people that have the Wet N Wild add on ticket also are having the same issue. Also, the 2 day tickets with 3rd day free earlier this year also would not work. Sorry about that man.

That is really silly though. They should be able to charge you the appropriate amount based on the ticket combo purchased. Shouldn't there be aa manager override for rare occurances. It is hard to find clarity on what is eligible from the universal website (correct me if you find it). Who cares if the people had third day free. Apply the two day part to the pass. If the rules for this are clear shame on me. If the rules are not shame on the park.

Try upgrading at Guest Services inside the park. They seem to be the most knowledgeable. People with the third day free tickets have been able to upgrade to an annual pass. The 3 park ticket has never been upgradable because it was a revenue sharing ticket with another park. I don't see why you should not be able to upgrade your ticket since it is neither discounted like the youth group tickets nor is revenue sharing.

Try upgrading at Guest Services inside the park. They seem to be the most knowledgeable. People with the third day free tickets have been able to upgrade to an annual pass. The 3 park ticket has never been upgradable because it was a revenue sharing ticket with another park. I don't see why you should not be able to upgrade your ticket since it is neither discounted like the youth group tickets nor is revenue sharing.

Hey, is this the same DAMO from the DIS site? awesome! Good to see you over here. :)

I'll try to explain this as clear as possible without confusing everyone.... you can't upgrade because it is combined with HHN. The HHN "value" of the ticket has nothing to do with a Power Pass because Annual Passes only work during the day and have nothing to do with HHN. Therefore, that "value" cannot be applied towards an Annual Pass.

It's the same reason you cannot upgrade tickets combined with Express. Again, the "value" of the Express portion of the ticket has nothing to do with an Annual Pass.

Say you bought your 3 day ticket and HHN ticket separate. They wouldn't subtract the cost of both the 3 day ticket and HHN ticket off the cost of an Annual Pass. They would only subtract off the cost of the 3 day ticket.

You're correct about the first part; however, the 2 day tickets with 3rd day free can be upgraded because essentially they're just a 2 day ticket (the 3rd day has no value).

Discounted tickets can usually be upgraded, but you lose the discount essentially. So, the upgrade would be the difference between the ticket and the Annual Pass, PLUS the amount that was initially discounted.

Last edited:
I'll try to explain this as clear as possible without confusing everyone.... you can't upgrade because it is combined with HHN. The HHN "value" of the ticket has nothing to do with a Power Pass because Annual Passes only work during the day and have nothing to do with HHN. Therefore, that "value" cannot be applied towards an Annual Pass.

It's the same reason you cannot upgrade tickets combined with Express. Again, the "value" of the Express portion of the ticket has nothing to do with an Annual Pass.

Say you bought your 3 day ticket and HHN ticket separate. They wouldn't subtract the cost of both the 3 day ticket and HHN ticket off the cost of an Annual Pass. They would only subtract off the cost of the 3 day ticket.

You're correct about the first part; however, the 2 day tickets with 3rd day free can be upgraded because essentially they're just a 2 day ticket (the 3rd day has no value).

Discounted tickets can usually be upgraded, but you lose the discount essentially. So, the upgrade would be the difference between the ticket and the Annual Pass, PLUS the amount that was initially discounted.

Universal has been crediting the gate value of the full three day ticket in the two days get one free purchased from Undercover Tourist. They have also been crediting full gate value for normal tickets purchased through Undercovertourist and also for tickets obtained through perks programs. Heavily discounted tickets through youth programs such as usssda cannot be upgraded.

For the OP, I would still check with guest services INSIDE the park for your situation. They seem to be the authority on upgrades. Many people who have been unsuccessful upgrading at Guest Services outside the park have reported success inside the park.

Universal has been crediting the gate value of the full three day ticket in the two days get one free purchased from Undercover Tourist. They have also been crediting full gate value for normal tickets purchased through Undercovertourist and also for tickets obtained through perks programs. Heavily discounted tickets through youth programs such as usssda cannot be upgraded.

For the OP, I would still check with guest services INSIDE the park for your situation. They seem to be the authority on upgrades. Many people who have been unsuccessful upgrading at Guest Services outside the park have reported success inside the park.

I was mainly talking about tickets purchased at Universal Orlando or on their website. Undercover Tourist is a bit different. Essentially the ticket still has the same full value, but Undercover Tourist themselves are charging less. Certain youth tickets can be upgraded, but again, you lose the discount during the upgrade.

Also, the same people who work at Guest Services inside the park are the same people who work at the windows outside the gate. CityWalk has a different Guest Services, however.

Just a heads up for everyone. DO NOT buy anything but a regular park ticket or park to park if you want to have the upgrade option. I was told policy is that they do not upgrade combo hhn tickets. If you want hhn add it at the park later or after upgrading.

I tried at one park services which denied me the first time. IOA park services were able to upgrade. Email universal support before buying to make sure something will work and don't trust the forums like I did. It was still a worthwhile purchase as I will be back, but it ended up being a $69 premium instead of a $35 one and I was lucky to get anything.

Last edited: