Pirates of the Caribbean Refurb | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
when we rode, we didn't have any "obese" people in our boat from what I could tell, mostly kids and teens and we still got wet.

So blaming this on fat people isn't exactly fair, although I would imagine those boats have even more problems.

It seemed like the water level was too high, and when the boat descended it hit the water at an angle that forced the water to rise up on the sides. The boat doesn't "correct" itself fast enough.

Don't point fingers at me! That was the rumor out of Disney a few years back.

It could have been why they decided to replace the boats in the first place, but whatever solution they came up with actually made it worse.

To be perfectly honest, if they don't ever fix it, I'm "ok" with that. Just make sure to warn folks about it. Not everyone enjoys getting wet. That's for sure.

Reactions: Cole
I seem to always get Front Row on Pirates, but they always seem to just put the two of us in the front. Never got wet on it, last time we rode was May'15.

Valhalla, a water dark ride in Blackpool has a guy who sucks out all of the water in the boats between unload and load. Maybe Disney should get a giant hoover!

Just back from two weeks in Orlando. Magic Kingdom was Christmas/Easter/ Summer season busy!!! But, as always, if you hit the park when it opens you can still get a ton of rides in. Concerning POC...We rode it six times. Refurbs were fantastic. Just about everything but the mermaids worked well. Sound was fixed. I finally could understand everything. And the moving clouds in the sky were great ambiance. "BUT", the boats appear to be a major issue. Two of our six rides had breakdown stoppages that lasted around half an hour each, and they gave us extra paper fastpasses to make up for the long delays. Three other rides had stoppages around ten minutes. There was only one ride that was fairly straight through but it got backed up for a few minutes on the ending treasure room scene. I didn't mind the stoppages since we got to see the major areas in detail while we were stopped. And yes, the boats still splash. If you are in row one or two you'll get splashed almost as much as Splash Mountain. In summary, the ride looks great but I doubt they'll be able to avoid replacing those boats down the line.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
i think i heard some where the the mermaid projections were taken out bc they didn't work half the time plus a lot of people didn't even notice the effect but still i think this refurb was one step in the right direction for disney

The thing that blew me away is that even on a morning run with like 12 people on the entire ride the boats backed up almost to the beginning of the dungeon. That's worse than a little water in my book--- that's just poor show.

The thing that blew me away is that even on a morning run with like 12 people on the entire ride the boats backed up almost to the beginning of the dungeon. That's worse than a little water in my book--- that's just poor show.
Yeah, they were also running 15-20 empty boats in a row sometimes during the long lines during the day. I would guess they were trying to correct whatever kept malfunctioning.

^ I would expect this on Gringotts or Spiderman but on that clunky old boat ride? How silly!
Speaking of Gringotts, we made two day trips to Universal & I rode it a bunch of times. It really grew on me after not being on it since last year. It has excellent re rideability. And it appeared all of the effects were working, even the water/heat scene that didn't work last Fall. And the hole through the screen/fog effect was excellent, better than last year. This is turning into a great ride. It doesn't even seem short now that I've rode it so many times. I remember reading where Tony Baxter (Disney Imagineer) said he designed rides so you would enjoy it even more by the twentieth time you rode it. I'm just about there on Gringott's and, yes, Baxter would be proud of it.

Reactions: UNIrd
I think they operate too many boats on pirates. I haven't rode it once in recent years where I didn't get backed up right before the treasure room. They never hit the proper interval to have that many boats on. It doesn't increase capacity at all. It just kinda ruins the end of the ride because I have to sit in that line of stacked boats for 3-4 more minutes.

Reactions: NashvilleTrio
you know it kinda reminds me of the last time i rode its a small world where i waited 5min to get on and waited 10 min in the last part of the ride waiting to get off

Speaking of Gringotts, we made two day trips to Universal & I rode it a bunch of times. It really grew on me after not being on it since last year. It has excellent re rideability. And it appeared all of the effects were working, even the water/heat scene that didn't work last Fall. And the hole through the screen/fog effect was excellent, better than last year. This is turning into a great ride. It doesn't even seem short now that I've rode it so many times. I remember reading where Tony Baxter (Disney Imagineer) said he designed rides so you would enjoy it even more by the twentieth time you rode it. I'm just about there on Gringott's and, yes, Baxter would be proud of it.
The thing I hate about Gringotts are the friggin stairs.