SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
it's also not a bad idea to build hotels especially if they follow the cabana bay model.

I agree in theory, but realistically, not a lot of land left around SWO (that last open lot by Aquatica is slated to become a Target-anchored shopping center), and what land there is has its price driven up by the current housing boom in the area.

Could buy that hotel on Westwood that constantly changes names, I suppose, but they've had trouble enough learning to run a theme park, not sure they want to add hotel management to their portfolio.

New attractions every year? I'm about it. My bank account isn't, but to hell with that.

You know, I've been going to Orlando every year from 92 - 08 then in 12 and 13. As a 26 year old, this has to be the most exciting time I can ever remember and it's giving me a feeling I haven't felt in a long time. Although I'm some what conflicted with Disney World currently after I went to Disneyland a couple of months ago on my honeymoon and I thought it was a far superior resort.

So the rumor going around SWO is that Wild Arctic will not be coming back after it switches to The Polar Express for the season. I believe I heard that this is TPE's last year so it would make sense for WA to go down after the holiday season. If they plan to have the new minor ride open by 2017, work on the new ride would need to begin soon. The WA building is very large so it's possible they could just renovate the building to save on costs.

Reactions: SeventyOne
So excited by the fact Seaworld have a CEO who acknowledges the investment required!

So, a major ride in 2018? Let's not forget Busch haven't had a major coaster in a few years, so they will be due one. With this in mind I would love to see a none-coaster as the major attraction at Seaworld...but what is realistically in their budget?

Reactions: anihilnation
Speaking of this real quick, I love that this is a good sign for Seaworlds future as a company. But coming from someone that lived in California, its a damn shame that the Orcas won't have an actual show anymore.

The SeaWorld Rescue rides are a really great concept too and the right message for the park to keep hammering home. These parks, no matter how controversial they are now, ARE a positive influence on kids who do want to grow up to be vets, marine biologists, trainers, etc.

Future looks really bright for SeaWorld over the next 5 years, attraction wise. Hopefully SWSA gets some investment being that it's probably the most neglected of the 3. Manta themed B&M wing coaster? hmmm...

Local news reported on this as well, appears it should be 3 major rides and 2 minor ones. First major is Mako, then a minor, then a major etc. I think the Ocean Rescue will be the 2017 minor, so 2018 hopefully will give us a major coaster again.
HOLY, if this is true then (and none of the new rides replace current ones) SeaWorld may actually have a decent ride line up to at least partially compete a lot better with Universal and Disney. I'm really hoping that of the next 2 major rides neither are coasters in all honestly. While I love them, if SeaWorld ever wants to compete on par with the big two ever again it needs to make nicely themed, non-generic, wholly immersing rides with the next two major ones.

I'm also hoping at least one of these rides is interactive in some way. The Sea Rescue one would be really good for something like this.

Also, with these new investments I would like to reiterate that they must make sense thematically where they are placed. They should keep the concept of the seven seas of SeaWorld they got going and make them even more immersive. For example, the Sea of Legends area should continue being themed well until it is an immersive Atlantis environment.

Oh god this is getting long but... with these projects they need to fix the guest flow / walking path layout. It's a mess in some places and just outright doesn't make sense in others. Some of these issues could easily be fixed by widening one path or closing another.

Lastly, just to confirm, did the announcement say major and minor rides or projects in general?

end rant

I agree in theory, but realistically, not a lot of land left around SWO (that last open lot by Aquatica is slated to become a Target-anchored shopping center), and what land there is has its price driven up by the current housing boom in the area.

Could buy that hotel on Westwood that constantly changes names, I suppose, but they've had trouble enough learning to run a theme park, not sure they want to add hotel management to their portfolio.

All the land that's highlighted is currently owned by SeaWorld. It was either bought for overflow parking in the early 2000s, bought concurrently with Discovery Cove as buffer, or bought concurrently with Aquatica for expansion.

Any plans that were made for those sights were made with the thought that the developers would be able to easily get the land because "nothing was happening their" before this. I believe this includes that one plot next to the 528 that was supposed to be for a new planned development as described in the new I-Drive Vision Plan.

I'm so excited to see that SeaWorld is getting some much needed investment. It's one of my favorite parks and always has been. I always found it to be the nicest of their Florida parks, still love Busch Gardens but SeaWorld always was the nicer of the two for me. I'd love to see more about Sea Rescue. That's a great idea for them and will get guests interested and involved in all that SeaWorld does outside the parks. Joel Manby is really becoming a great leader in that company and will do wonders for them.

Lol, just wait til you see what's coming in 2017. There's no slowing down after Mako - SWO is in full reconstruction mode, and I think ride enthusiasts will be pretty happy with what they're planning!
Hoping this doesn't imply more coasters, or at least hoping it doesn't include generic, track visible coasters. I'm fine with an indoor one with track showing or a kiddie coaster with track showing but other than that I would much rather have some better themed rides.

I hate to be the guy that knows and doesn't tell anybody - but I think it's rather critical that SeaWorld be the one to announce their future expansion plans at this point. I think people will like the direction the park is heading in - it's going to be a little more in the style Manta and a lot less that of Antarctica. Best thing that ever happened to the parks was Joel Manby coming on board. This dude isn't messing around. Mako wasn't supposed to happen for another few years and they prioritized the hell out of it.

I hate to be the guy that knows and doesn't tell anybody - but I think it's rather critical that SeaWorld be the one to announce their future expansion plans at this point. I think people will like the direction the park is heading in - it's going to be a little more in the style Manta and a lot less that of Antarctica. Best thing that ever happened to the parks was Joel Manby coming on board. This dude isn't messing around. Mako wasn't supposed to happen for another few years and they prioritized the hell out of it.
As long as things are happening and someone in the know says it's good, I'm happy. I agree SeaWorld should be able to announce with no leaks, I'm happy to hear they have a plan though. The style of Manta sounds excellent to me, I love what they did with that. Manby is my hero right now lol. Can't wait to see what happens and with Busch as well.

it's going to be a little more in the style Manta and a lot less that of Antarctica. Best thing that ever happened to the parks was Joel Manby coming on board. This dude isn't messing around. Mako wasn't supposed to happen for another few years and they prioritized the hell out of it.

I enjoyed reading all of that. Analogy time: Manby is the Steph Curry of theme park CEOs.

He just gets it

Orlando is underfunded, and San Antonio is suffering due to a lack of noteworthy 'proposals'.

One question for those in the know though....I always pay attention to Seaworlds investor press releases, and only the 3 Seaworld branded parks are ever mentioned in any detail. Where's the detail on Busch, the waterparks etc? Where's the breakdown of visitors to Seaworld branded parks vs Busch?

One question for those in the know though....I always pay attention to Seaworlds investor press releases, and only the 3 Seaworld branded parks are ever mentioned in any detail. Where's the detail on Busch, the waterparks etc? Where's the breakdown of visitors to Seaworld branded parks vs Busch?
This may help. Other states would be Pennsylvania (Sesame Place) and Texas (SWT).
yfqofoC.png

I think SeaWorld/Busch have built some wonderfully themed and/or beautiful big boy coasters. The first visually stunning coaster I ever saw was The Loch Ness Monster.

Scan10018.jpg

And they are still building well themed big boy coasters in Montu, Alpengiest, Manta and Mako.

They do a good job of applying an impressionistic theme and still going unapologetically huge with the steel.

Then sometimes they don't even try (I'm looking at you, Griffon/Shiekra). Totally six flagged with a theme in name only.